Tell me more! N. H. Tin Cup

ironmannf

Private
Hi Everyone,
I had such good luck with my last post, I figured why not try my luck again to see if I can get some help with my N.H. tin cup. The cup measures 4 1/4" wide by 3" high, and is stamped on the side "STEVENS & DUNCKLEE, CONCORD N.H. and the bottom has the initials "HP" scratched into it. I recall hearing that either Don Troniani and/or the North & South Trader had an article about a N.H. cup similar to this one. Any information you guys could supply me with would be awesome (pictures attached).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

I wish I had a dimension or two. Either it is short or very wide. I guess the handle would be a standard size--- ~3/4 inch.

Thanks. It IS a wide cup. Didn't notice the taper of the handle.

I may build one for my 1/6-scale Lieutenant.
If your building a cup you might like to build this one (pictures attached). I bought is cup from the late Dale C Anderson many, many years ago and he told me that it was Confederate and I still have the original catalog that lists it. The cup measures, 4 1/8" wide by 3 1/8" high with a handle that measure 3/4" at the top and tapers to 1/2" at the bottom.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Excellent photos. The detail and shape of that handle is exquisite for tinware. I wondered how they made these cups and kept them somewhat water proof. My scale model will not have that much detail. I'm just aiming for a general form and trying not to make it match the shape of a modern Starbucks cup.
Yes, it's a beautiful cup indeed and I thought that you would enjoy it. Those guys back in the day surly had some talent. Send me pics of your finished project, as I would enjoy looking at them.

Got to ask, what kind of cannon is that?

A Confederate Williams Gun---a 1.562-inch caliber, rapid-fire, smooth bore, breech-loader.
Search CWT and you will find a lengthy discussion on it. Beware that the discussion was going on while many details of the gun and the battery were not fully known.

Hi Everyone,
I had such good luck with my last post, I figured why not try my luck again to see if I can get some help with my N.H. tin cup. The cup measures 4 1/4" wide by 3" high, and is stamped on the side "STEVENS & DUNCKLEE, CONCORD N.H. and the bottom has the initials "HP" scratched into it. I recall hearing that either Don Troniani and/or the North & South Trader had an article about a N.H. cup similar to this one. Any information you guys could supply me with would be awesome (pictures attached).

View attachment 321208

View attachment 321209

View attachment 321210

View attachment 321211

View attachment 321212

View attachment 321213
Look for NST v XIII No. 3 Mar-Apr 1986 issue for the article

Is the Williams Gun designed similar in operation to the Gatling Gun with a hand crank and feed tube?

No. The crank turned a cam that moved the breech block forward and aft. You hand loaded a cartridge wrapped in combustible cloth and primed a nipple on the left side. Rather slow and dangerous---if the round blew when you had the breech open or you opened it too quickly. Still, those in the field said it could shoot 25 RPM.

I don't want to steel ironman's thread. Come to the CWT Tour of Vicksburg and I will give a talk and show how it works with my model.

Back