Breechldrs Mystery carbine of some sort

Howdy folks-

a friend of my mom’s sent her some photos of an old carbine of some sort asking if I could help identify - I don’t have any info other than some pics:

-sDHCe-JS0ga3ejUfJtibT90teEaF0A&owa=outlook.office.jpg

Thank you
Kelly

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, would love to see the marking.

Until we know the caliber or bore size, it is just speculation. Years ago, I had a good one. It was a regular 1863 Springfield, that was cut at the lock plate and hammer with a RB #1 action and chambered for the .58 cartridge. Even had the U.S. on the butt plate. The upper part from the breach to the muzzle was untouched. There was one in the Remington museum. After the CW, the military was inundated with .58 cal rifles. The trapdoor invention was utilized and the Rolling Block as well. Some were .58 rf and most were the .58 cf Berdan. Actually the Rolling Block action by Remington was better than the Trapdoor Springfield and through the years was produced in many calibers by several nations as well as Buffalo hunters in the west.

When I was young (1950s) these were advertised in The American Riflemen for $50. They were formerly from the Egyptian Army. Martini-Henrys went for the same price.
I remember ogling the German rifles that were sticking up out of a barrel at the hardware store. They were covered in a sticky coating, so I didn't get to pick one up. I wanted one desperately, but my Mom said absolutely not.

I remember ogling the German rifles that were sticking up out of a barrel at the hardware store. They were covered in a sticky coating, so I didn't get to pick one up. I wanted one desperately, but my Mom said absolutely not.
I well remember those days. In a gun shop, there was an engraved Henry for $40. The gun shop owner said, "you can't get ammo for them." Those were the days!

Yes, those were the days. I remember a local store that had Carcanos, SMLEs, and Mosins for $9.95 and Norma ammo for anything from 6.5 Arisaka to 8 mm Austrian.

Yes, those were the days. I remember a local store that had Carcanos, SMLEs, and Mosins for $9.95 and Norma ammo for anything from 6.5 Arisaka to 8 mm Austrian.
Gotta laugh, reading this made me flashback to my Cub Scout uniformed self looking at those things & trying to figure out some way to raise such impossible sums of money! Wonder what happened to all that stuff, some of it was junk even to my childish eye.

I remember stopping with my parents on a trip at a service station. They had one of those barrels and I wanted one. They were $10. I have remembered that and regretted not begging for one. Probably would not have gotten it anyway. Like you said covered in grease or something for storage and transport. I have thought about that every so often since that time. That was in 1957.

That's the infantry model of the Remington rolling block. It has a bayonet lug. The NYSM carried them after the war. Trivia: There are a pair of crossed rolling blocks on the Guatemalan flag.

Back