Mystery ambrotype view of unidentified men on pier with ships in background, c. 1860

chubachus

First Sergeant
ambrotype pier.jpg

I would guess 1855-1860 based on the clothing of the men on the pier and the American ambrotype era. Source.

Close-ups:

ambrotype pier2.jpg

ambrotype pier3.jpg

I was thinking it might be Pensacola, until Lubliner pointed out the rip-rap stones. The farthest of the three ships looks like a paddle steamer. That tall guy, standing all alone, with the stovepipe hat in the center isn't Lincoln, is it?

The men in uniform wearing the unusual barracks or forage caps say Europe to me. I've studied american uniforms for the last fifty-odd years and have never seen those kind of caps being used, except possibly by the Mexican army.

Sorry, I jumped the gun. Some Union regiments that were issued French chasseur uniforms, such as the 18th Mass. and 62nd Penn., did indeed wear that style of French barracks cap.

I was thinking it might be Pensacola, until Lubliner pointed out the rip-rap stones. The farthest of the three ships looks like a paddle steamer. That tall guy, standing all alone, with the stovepipe hat in the center isn't Lincoln, is it?

I was going to say the same thing. Judging by Ebay that hat is all it took. Well, or a bearded guy in a coffin.

Thanks for sharing this interesting article and photos of history past. The dock looks like it was used as a dry dock or for loading or unloading ships. Also the photo was taken at low tide. The man in the top hat is a good question?

The uniforms do look decidedly strange.

Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to even begin to guess at the identity of the ships in the background. If only they were in broadside profile!

I really can't make a decision on this, but I did idly wonder if it was somewhere in France. any experts here who are good at cleaning old photos?

Back