My Return to Newnan, Confederate Hospitals

View attachment 114174
This painting shows the Newnan GA Court House, along with several of the "Hospital sheds" which were built in Newnan. The sheds were reportedly 12 feet wide x 100 feet long. I have not found any record of exactly how many such sheds were constructed, but have seen the requisitions for nails and materials.

Although it was intended that only five or six hundred wounded be accommodated in Newnan, its geographic location and proximity to Atlanta greatly increased the number and more than ten thousand Confederate sick and wounded were brought there for treatment in seven hospitals known as Bragg, Buckner, College Temple, Coweta House, Foard, Gamble, and Pinson Springs... They took over ... all large buildings and stores on the Court Square... Sheds were built around the court house.~ Byron H. Mathews, "To Do A Man's Work."​

Meantime, the wounded of several battles had filled and crowded the wards. As before, every train came in freighted with human misery. In the Buckner Hospital (at Newnan) alone there were nearly a thousand beds, tenanted by every conceivable form of suffering. An ambulance-train arrived one night, bringing an unusually large number of sick and wounded men, whose piteous moans filled the air as they were brought up the hill on "stretchers" or alighted at the door of the hospital from ambulances, which, jolting over the rough, country road, had tortured them inexpressibly. Occasionally a scream of agony would arise, but more frequently suppressed groans bespoke strong men's suffering manfully borne. In the ward where those badly wounded were placed, there was so much to be done, that morning found the work unfinished.
~
Fannie A. Bears, Memories: A Record of Personal Experience and Adventure During Four Years of War http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15829/15829-h/15829-h.htm page
From what I remember from "Doctors in Gray", the Medical Director of the Army of Tennessee, A.J. Foard, was a very effective officer and is credited with the creation of "pavilion" design hospitals that allowed for the ventilation of the wards while still offering protection from the elements.

Welcome from GA.
"Camped" in the RV last spring at Chattahoochee Bend State Park (great park, btw - facilities top notch - situated along the Chattahoochee River - nice trails - slow water kayaking - I digress...) and visited Newnan, just down the road. The trip was supposed to be a non-ACW trip, as in my ignorance I thought the area was relatively untouched by the war. Turns out it is full of history, including ACW history, only a small bit of which I was able to explore - The Courthouse, the Confederate Cemetery, Brown's Mill Battlefield - my long suffering better-looking half did a good job of suppressing her "excitement" at finding another ACW battlefield to visit on vacation.

I have since learned a lot more about the area from this site and am eager to go back as I entirely missed the Train Depot and Male Academy museums - (I hear they got themselves a bona-fide Confederate Battle Flag at the Male Academy).

When you go back, if you haven't already, visit the Courthouse and talk with the person manning the information room just to the right inside the entrance to get the low-down on local bits of history. I find these folks are full of local knowledge and are always pleased to have someone come in and express an interest. A tour of the restored Courthouse (post-bellum) is well worth the time, also.

Welcome from GA.
"Camped" in the RV last spring at Chattahoochee Bend State Park (great park, btw - facilities top notch - situated along the Chattahoochee River - nice trails - slow water kayaking - I digress...) and visited Newnan, just down the road. The trip was supposed to be a non-ACW trip, as in my ignorance I thought the area was relatively untouched by the war. Turns out it is full of history, including ACW history, only a small bit of which I was able to explore - The Courthouse, the Confederate Cemetery, Brown's Mill Battlefield - my long suffering better-looking half did a good job of suppressing her "excitement" at finding another ACW battlefield to visit on vacation.

I have since learned a lot more about the area from this site and am eager to go back as I entirely missed the Train Depot and Male Academy museums - (I hear they got themselves a bona-fide Confederate Battle Flag at the Male Academy).

When you go back, if you haven't already, visit the Courthouse and talk with the person manning the information room just to the right inside the entrance to get the low-down on local bits of history. I find these folks are full of local knowledge and are always pleased to have someone come in and express an interest. A tour of the restored Courthouse (post-bellum) is well worth the time, also.

Welcome from GA.

Welcome from GA.

Welcome from GA.

Attachments

• 0929161255.jpg
    0929161255.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 135
hello DR Hannah. as a matter of fact i talked to the same guy at the Coweta Courthouse. Did you check out the murder of Coweta county memorabilia? very cool stuff. its weird you mention me going back to Newnan, im planning on going back to browns mill tomorrow morning.

Back