Chamberlain "My Responsibility for these men"

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
https://emergingcivilwar.com/2019/0...eadership-letter-from-petersburg/#more-183101

bb1be5fafdbb6736df4ab8dfe2bea?s=50&d=identicon&r=G.png
“My Responsibility For These Men”: A Leadership Letter from Petersburg
by Sarah Kay Bierle
xjoshua-l-chamberlain.jpg

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, c. 1864 or 1865

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain has received criticism in recent decades for some of his writings which have been questioned for accuracy, purpose, and perspective. As a professor, educator, and gifted writer, Chamberlain seemed to seek a refuge in post-war writings - perhaps a way to deal with "soldier's heart" and reinvent his memories.

Looking at his primary source letters and military correspondence written during the war can provide valuable information about his service and experience without the later lens of memory. One of my personal favorites from the Chamberlain war letters was penned on June 18, 1864, at Petersburg.

Please read more at the Emerging Civil War link

Thank you for sharing this post as I have never read his letter before. What an amazing man! Civilian, scholar and soldier who knew how to handle men under the most dire circumstances! America has always been and hopefully will continue to be populated by men and women who serve their country ready to pay the price for our liberty.
Regards
David

I was already a JLC fan, but I too had never read the letter or the instructions he gave to his men that day. I echo @Ole Miss 's sentiment! Amazing leadership qualities! I think if I had been there that day, under Chamberlain's command, I would have gone into the that charge "manfully" - even though Im a woman. :D

From your Blog source:

Looking at his primary source letters and military correspondence written during the war can provide valuable information about his service and experience without the later lens of memory. One of my personal favorites from the Chamberlain war letters was penned on June 18, 1864, at Petersburg.

It reveals all the fine qualities of Chamberlain the man, the leader, and the writer. Written on the battle lines and not penned at leisure, the letter actually questioned the commanding generals’ judgement and orders. And that’s where it really fascinates me. Colonel Chamberlain, commanding a brigade, writes a respectful, questioning letter that gives benefit of doubt and implores his superiors to reconsider their orders.

Yeah, it had to have sucked, working for U.S. Grant.

IMO Chamberlain suffered from backlash because Shaara told LRT through his eyes. I'm unsure why it was Chamberlain's fault but boy did he get it in the neck. His is an amazing story. Amazing guy.

What's so funny are the vets picking on each other post war. According to a LOT of them no one was accurate ( except the writer ) - best entertainment ever is reading the running back and forths in letters they sent to newspapers and magazines. Point is, this accuracy thing wasn't reserved for picking at Chamberlain- they all did it.

Back