ENDED My novel, set in Kentucky and Tennessee during the Civil War - Morgan's Raid, Underground Railroad and more

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My novel, quite historically accurate, launches from Harper Collins on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and whereever books are sold - available for pre-order April 24, on sale everywhere May 5.
FrontCover.png

Good luck with your book. I hope it is a great success. I certainly will be purchasing it and I'm sure enjoying it. May I ask you a question: Do you think a fictional set of books about a family with historical roots throughout the entire historical landscape of U.S. history, starting with the Mayflower and running for generations to modern times would be a successful venture? I even thought about writing a series of mystery books based on a fictional detective set in Victorian times in a Pennsylvania town or city? I would appreciate your thoughts on these scenarios. David.

Good luck with your book. I hope it is a great success. I certainly will be purchasing it and I'm sure enjoying it. May I ask you a question: Do you think a fictional set of books about a family with historical roots throughout the entire historical landscape of U.S. history, starting with the Mayflower and running for generations to modern times would be a successful venture? I even thought about writing a series of mystery books based on a fictional detective set in Victorian times in a Pennsylvania town or city? I would appreciate your thoughts on these scenarios. David.
It could be, depending on the writing, and whether you want to self-publish or go the traditional route. Traditional publishers are often disinclined to pick up a series from an unknown author. In part, this is due to the fact that some folks don't know how to condense their writing, so a four book series is something that might well fit in one book if done properly. If self-publishing, then you and the market get to determine it. Be aware that with the traditional publishing route, you first have to get an agent. This is an uncertain and lengthy process. Once an agent agrees to represent you, they may suggest changes. Once the changes are made, they shop the book around. After it sells, it can take up to two years to see it in print. Traditional publishers are doing less and less and expecting more and more from authors in terms of marketing. Even with a traditional publisher, you'd be expected to do a significant chunk of the marketing. With a series, whether the next book ever sees the light of day depends greatly on sales of the first book. You don't want too huge of a gap between the times that books in the series release, so you are constantly writing and marketing at the same time. For folks with a "day job", and/or a family, this can be quite overwhelming. There are 20 million books published each year. Seventy percent of them sell less than 100 copies. For me, historical novels take six months to a year to write. All that said, success or lack of it depends entirely on the quality of the writing, and the effort and attention given to marketing.

David, John Jakes ( author of North and South)wrote a series of books that followed a family through a similar time frame, but all across the continent. They were very popular at the time probably in the 1970s or 80s. I personally like those kind of books because they are historical.

David, John Jakes ( author of North and South)wrote a series of books that followed a family through a similar time frame, but all across the continent. They were very popular at the time probably in the 1970s or 80s. I personally like those kind of books because they are historical.
Thank You for the information. David.

It could be, depending on the writing, and whether you want to self-publish or go the traditional route. Traditional publishers are often disinclined to pick up a series from an unknown author. In part, this is due to the fact that some folks don't know how to condense their writing, so a four book series is something that might well fit in one book if done properly. If self-publishing, then you and the market get to determine it. Be aware that with the traditional publishing route, you first have to get an agent. This is an uncertain and lengthy process. Once an agent agrees to represent you, they may suggest changes. Once the changes are made, they shop the book around. After it sells, it can take up to two years to see it in print. Traditional publishers are doing less and less and expecting more and more from authors in terms of marketing. Even with a traditional publisher, you'd be expected to do a significant chunk of the marketing. With a series, whether the next book ever sees the light of day depends greatly on sales of the first book. You don't want too huge of a gap between the times that books in the series release, so you are constantly writing and marketing at the same time. For folks with a "day job", and/or a family, this can be quite overwhelming. There are 20 million books published each year. Seventy percent of them sell less than 100 copies. For me, historical novels take six months to a year to write. All that said, success or lack of it depends entirely on the quality of the writing, and the effort and attention given to marketing.
Michael. Thank You very much for the great information. I certainly appreciate it. I have done a lot of writing during my lifetime and especially in graduate school. I have not published anything at this point. However, I have been doing research the last four years on two articles I will be publishing on Gettysburg. I would like to write a book at some point in my life. I have numerous ideas on topics that have not been addressed by any other historian or author besides the ones I have mentioned to you in the previous post. When I decide to go the book route, I will keep you posted. David.

Michael. Thank You very much for the great information. I certainly appreciate it. I have done a lot of writing during my lifetime and especially in graduate school. I have not published anything at this point. However, I have been doing research the last four years on two articles I will be publishing on Gettysburg. I would like to write a book at some point in my life. I have numerous ideas on topics that have not been addressed by any other historian or author besides the ones I have mentioned to you in the previous post. When I decide to go the book route, I will keep you posted. David.
I have to say, just from the sound of it, I'm intrigued! Do keep us posted. I like the idea of little-known topics. :smile:

The book is for sale now, on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other outlets. Ebook, paperback, hardback, and audio. If you sign up for an Audible membership, the audiobook is free, and you can cancel anytime. Ebook is $2.99, Ebook and audiobook combination is $10.50, paperback $15, hardback $23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back