My Missippy Boyz: Cole, Hill, Tilghman

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
This first post follows my great-great-grandfather on the COLE family and his children including his son-in-laws. My objective is to tell their collective stories but keep it pretty brief. I list the family and then will cover each one separately. My next post will cover the HILL and TILGHMAN family members.

The COLE Family of Black Hawk, Carroll County, Mississippi

Biographies of the following veterans are described in this thread. I will tell their story in a chronological order as to their time in service. Here are the names of my Great-Great-Grandfather and his children and his son-in-laws. A biography for each person follows, below.

• Richard Wesley Cole, Company C, 5th Mississippi Cavalry; KIA
  • Robert E. Cole, Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment; Died, disease
  • Henry Asbury Cole, Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment, PW
  • William Ball (Richards’ son-in-law) Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment
  • James Slicer Purcell (Richards’ future son-in-law) Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment
  • William J. Ware (Richards’ future son-in-law) Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment
  • Benjamin Tucker, (no relation but first husband of Henry Cole’s wife) Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment
Here is a chart to illustrate the family connections and associated regiments.
RWCole_Family.JPG

The first family to enlist:
Robert E. Cole, Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment

Robert E. Cole was the first member of his family to enlist on April 20, 1861. The company traveled to Grenada to join up with other companies to form a regiment but there were no units available. When the Black Hawk Rifles arrived, all the regiments had been formed. For months, the unit could not find enough men to assemble together. Several members became discouraged. Captain H. J. Reid traveled to Richmond to obtain an order from the war department to have their companies mustered into Confederate service as independent companies. On Sept. 6, 1861, 78 officers and men re-enlisted into a unit that became the "22nd Mississippi Regiment, Company G". The regiment was sent directly to the campaign in Kentucky.

The regiment was bivouacked at Camp Beauregard near Feliciana, Ky., from Nov. 1st to Dec. 25th. During this period from Nov. 1st to Dec. 25th, the regiment participated in night marches in the freezing rain. Many soldiers became sick due to exposure to the elements. Several of the regiment were discharged due to illness or died of pneumonia. Even the regiment's commander, Col. Bonham, became ill and died. Private Robert Cole died on Dec. 1, 1861. His father, Richard Cole, traveled to Kentucky to claim his son's body. He signed discharge papers that described Robert as a student and included a physical description. He also received his son's back pay of $11/month and $4 clothing allowance.

Since his Father signed for receipt of his back pay there in Kentucky, it is assumed that he brought his son’s body back to their home in Black Hawk. Next to his mother’s grave is his headstone, which reads:

Robert E. Cole
son of R.W. & E.J. Cole
Sept 18, 1841 - Dec 1, 1861

When I began searching for a family who served in the Civil War, I read the inscription on Robert’s headstone and dismissed him as being a soldier. I incorrectly surmised that he died too early to have been in any battle in Mississippi or surrounding area. It just didn’t fit any time-line. I was prompted by a local librarian to order his service records as she was convinced this had to be a relative of mine. I’ve learned to listen to these librarians.

Fast forward to 1910, when Mrs. George Fuller of the Daughters of the Confederacy decided to create a monument to those who died at Camp Beauregard. She placed ads in the "Confederate Veteran", the Memphis Commercial Appeal and other newspapers requesting veterans to contact her about their experience at Camp Beauregard, KY. From the responses, she published a booklet entitled "A History of Camp Beauregard" on the history of the camp and the soldiers who died there during the winter of 1861-62. The funds raised from the sale of the book purchased a monument that was erected in 1920.

Among the many letters that were published in this book were some from veterans of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment. One letter listed the names of the members of Company G who died there, including Private Robert E. Cole.

The following letter was written by the Surgeon of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment. It gives a detailed account of the suffering that they experienced. The letter ends with his remarks that these men should be honored as much as any soldier who died in the field of battle.

August 17, 1914
Mrs. Geo. T. Fuller
Dear Madam:

I am in receipt of your favor of the 7th instant in behalf of the Confederate monument to be erected to the memory of the Confederate dead at Camp Beauregard, Ky.

I can add but little to the facts contained in your printed circular except to correct a few errors as to my Regiment the 22nd Miss. Inf., which at that time was called Bonham’s Miss. War Regiment. We, the Black Hawk Rifles, had enlisted at Iuka, Miss., for the war, early in September, 1861. We were assigned to Col. Bonham’s War Regiment, then at Memphis, Tenn. Col. Bonham having been commissioned by Pres. Davis to raise a regiment for the war. Our company filled his regiment.

The field officers were appointed by Pres. Davis; Col., D. W. C. Bonham* , Lieut. Col. Frank Schaller (a Frenchman); Major Chas. G. Nelms; Surgeon Dr. John Meyers; ***’t Surgeon Dr. G. C. Phillips; Quartermaster Wm. Jane; Adj. Wm. Burke. In a few days we were ordered to Columbus to reinforce Gen. Polk, but without leaving the train we were ordered back to Union City. In a week or ten days we were ordered to Camp Beauregard to protect Gen. Polk’s right. In a few days there were between 6 and 7000 troops assembled there; all new and fresh from home, except the 1st Missouri and 9th and 10th Arkansas, who had seen service before crossing the Miss. River.

Col. John S. Bowen of the 1st Missouri Regt., a graduate of West Point, was made a Brigadier General and placed in command of the Brigade on Gen. Bowen’s staff and Dr. Phillips became acting surgeon and afterwards full surgeon of the 22nd Miss. Regt. { Phillips became surgeon for the Company}

The measles had gone through the regiment before it was made up of the companies then composing it, in many cases leaving some bronchial or intestinal {sic} trouble, rendering them easy marks for pneumonia and typhoid fever. The weather became cold and rainy, then sleet and snow. The drilling and picket duty to most of the men was very hard, and the diet was not what they were accustomed to. It was mostly fresh beef and flour, no vegetables, with plenty of coffee, tea, tobacco and whiskey. Soon typhoid fever and pneumonia broke out among the men. There were 75 cases of typhoid fever and typhoid pneumonia in my hospital tent during one month. I speak only of our own regiment. It was as bad or worse than other regiments. Then the most terrible disease, cerebrospinal meningitis broke out, killing nearly every case attacked, and frequently in a few hours. In one instance the men in a certain mess had just come in from drilling, and whilst waiting for their dinner to cook, one of them commenced to talk queer, then jerk his head back and fell over in convulsions. One ran to the Surgeon’s quarters and burst in his tent, saying - “Come, Dr., quick, one of our men has that thing.” When we reached the tent another one of the men had been taken in the same way and in three hours both were dead. The drs.{sic} were all at sea. None of us had ever seen a case of this disease. We knew the brain and spinal cord were affected, but who so many similar cases? This was an epidemic and more fatal than yellow fever. We knew that a disease very similar in symptoms to this attacked the new recruits in the French Army during Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt, but this did not help us, as no remedy was known for it.

Col. Bonham* sent for me and asked if nothing could be done to stop this high death rate among his men. It was worse than a battle. The men became depressed and gloomy, each one feared that he would be the next one taken and if so it meant death. Men in apparent perfect health, on going to bed, would be taken in the night, and by the next night might be dead. I advised the Col. to move his camp, if only half a mile, and to have his commissary issue corn meal, bacon, dry salty meat, turnips, potatoes, onions and cow peas as rations to the men, that this was an experiment, but I could advise nothing else. This was done and for the two weeks afterwards that we remained there, (being then ordered to Bowling Green, Ky.) we had no more of this terrible disease and typhoid fever and pneumonia fell very markedly. The troops remaining there continued to suffer.

These men, who suffered and died at Camp Beauregard, were just as brave and patriotic as their comrades and friends, who fell upon the great battlefields of the War Between the States, and in whose honor and memory beautiful and noble monuments have been erected. They too should be honored in the same way. It was no fault of theirs that they did not live to be killed at Shiloh, Vicksburg or Franklin, where so many of the regiment were killed, and whose resting places are marked by headstones and beautiful monuments - erected by loving descendants and friends in memory of their heroism, courage and glorious death.

I am Very respectfully yours,

G. C. Phillips M. D.
Ex Surgeon
22nd Miss. Regiment
Confederate Infantry

Then in the 1980’s, the Tilghman-Beauregard Camp of the SCV re-published Mrs. Fuller's book to raise money for an addition to the monument. A larger base was added to the monument. Also at some time, headstones were ordered and placed in the cemetery where the monument is located. Several of the headstones were for soldiers of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment. One of them is marked with Pvt. Robert E. Cole of Company G. Robert Cole has two burial sites!! However, I truly believe that he was brought home and buried in Black Hawk, Mississippi.

Grave of Pvt Robert E. Cole at Camp Beauregard, KY
KY_RobertECole.jpg

I thought I was lucky to have a letter and a story written by Robert’s regimental surgeon that explains how these men died. Another stroke of luck is that the captain of the Black Hawk Rifles published a small booklet that tells about Company G. Captain H. J. Reid was the commander of Company G and later promoted to colonel of the regiment. His book, “Sketch of the Black Hawk Rifles”, is not as much a history of the regiment and their experiences as an accounting of every soldier who enlisted, killed, discharged, or surrendered. I’ve never seen any book quite like this for one company and it is a great source to have on my relative.

Now fast forward to 2004. A small group of descendants of Richard W. Cole gather at the Methodist Cemetery at Black Hawk to dedicate the refurbished headstones of Eliza Cole and her son, Robert E. Cole. Their headstones were repaired and supported by installing a new based that was slotted to accept the old headstone. The new bases were engraved with their names and dates. Robert Cole’s base was engraved to record his service in the Black Hawk Rifles. Family members spoke words over the graves and re-told the stories based upon our research. The Stanford Battery reenactment group fired a 3-volley salute from original 3-inch ordnance rifle gun.
Photo of the Team Cole at the 2004 re-dedication of the
Grave of Pvt Robert E. Cole (left) and his mother
Eliza Cole(right) at Black Hawk, MS.

BlackHawk001.jpg

Here I will insert the story of the son-in-laws who enlisted in the same regiment.

Son-in-Laws to Richard W. Cole

William Ball Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment
James Slicer Purcell Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment
William J. Ware Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment

Three more names that appear on the roster of the Black Hawk Rifles are three men who were married to Richard Cole’s daughters or would marry one after the war. These are not direct relatives but it is interesting to see how the war impacted the Cole family through the daughters.

Records for William Ball show he enlisted in the Black Hawk Rifles early. Thanks to the booklet published by Captain Reid and his service records, Private William Ball appears to have been sick on several occasions and away from his regiment. He was discharged from the 22nd Mississippi due to medical problems, but would later serve in the defense of Atlanta. Private William Ball appeared on a roster of local militia defending the city. He was finally discharged from service due to illness.

James Slicer Purcell and Sergeant W. J. Ware served through the entire war with the 22nd Mississippi. They were among the 27 men who were present with Company G when it surrendered on April 26, 1865.

Some historians have estimated the 22nd Mississippi Regiment traveled a total of 6,000 miles during its service. Kentucky in winter 1861/1862, Bowling Green(KY), passed through Nashville, Shiloh, Corinth, Fort Pemberton(Greenwood), traveled back into central Mississippi, Meridian(Sherman’s Meridian campaign), then towards Rome(GA), Resaca, New Hope and Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville, Bentonville (NC), and finally surrendered at Greensboro(NC).

The 22nd Mississippi had a remarkable record of service even though it was basically without its commander. Lt.-Col. Frank Schaller replaced Col. Bonham who died at Camp Beauregard. Col. Schaller lead the regiment at the Battle of Shiloh. After that he was absent from the regiment. He spent time in Virginia and even on something like a recruiting tour. Once he almost made it back to his regiment but returned to his extended leave. His journal is published in the book: "Soldiering For Glory"; the Civil War Letters of Colonel Frank Schaller, Univ. of South Carolina Press, 2007. It is not a very glowing account of his military service.

James Slicer Purcell married Richard Cole's daughter, Frances Melissa Cole, in 1869 and settled in Louisiana. William J. Ware married Richard Cole's daughter, Virginia "Jennie" Cole, and later moved to Texas.

Richard Cole’s youngest son was not old enough to serve in the war. However, Richard Bascum Cole married Martha Jane Barrentine, the daughter of Henry Jackson Barrentine--- another veteran of the Black Hawk Rifles. Richard B. Cole moved to Texas and had 12 children and many descendants of the COLE family.

1899 Reunion of Veterans of 22nd Mississippi Regiment
Miss22-Reunion.jpg

Most of these veterans were from Company G, Black Hawk Rifles. Included in this photo are George C. Phillips(back row, left), the surgeon for the regiment and Captain H. J. Reid (back row, center).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After researching my Great-Grandfather Henry Cole for 5 years or so, my aunt handed me a newspaper clipping with his obituary. After I calmed down, it was exciting to find out that I was on the right path.

Henry Asbury Cole, Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment

Family oral history said Henry Cole ran away from home at age 16 to join the army. After researching records, the current family historians have surmised what may have occurred. After his brother Robert enlisted and even maybe after the news of his brother’s death, Henry left home at age 16 as the story says. However, he does not appear in the rolls of any unit for a few more years. We think he took odd jobs in the Army camps and may have worked as a mule-skinner or hauling supplies.

Henry enlisted in Company A, 30th Miss., which consisted of men from Carroll County. In this same unit was a soldier 10 years older than Henry by the name of Benjamin F. Tucker. After the war, Henry would marry Benjamin Tucker's widow, which suggests the two must have become very acquainted during service. Private Tucker's records indicates he was occasionally assigned wagon duty and transported injured soldiers to the hospital. It is possible that, prior to his enlistment, Henry Cole was assigned as a contract mule skinner to assist Private Tucker. The two were most likely acquaintances in Carroll County before the war, even though Henry was at least 10 years younger than Benjamin.

We are not sure how he got to Chattanooga. However, on Nov. 22, 1863, Henry enlisted in Company A, "Neill's Guard", 30th Mississippi Regiment. Company A had been formed from Black Hawk, so Henry must have known several of the men in this company. The 30th Mississippi was part of Gen. Edward Walthall's brigade, which was placed on the western base of Lookout Mountain. The night before the battle, the three brigades of the Confederate's left flank were placed under a new commander and repositioned on the mountain. The next day, Nov. 24, the Yankees had three divisions in position on the west side of Lookout Mountain; one division from each of their three armies. Their plan was to attack across Lookout Creek from the west and advance north along the slope of Lookout Mountain and crush the Confederate left flank that encircled Chattanooga.

Before the Battle of Lookout Mountain began on Nov. 24, the 30th Miss. was under arms an hour before daybreak. Much of the regiment was placed as a picket line along Lookout Creek and Tennessee River. As the Yankees crossed below them, the picket line found themselves being cut off from defenses on Lookout Mountain. Companies I & C were sent forward to strengthen the picket line as it gave way before the Yankee assault. The whole regiment deployed as skirmishers to support it. Men clung to their posts in the rocks until surrounded and captured. The brigade finally rallied after a 3-hour fight just past the Craven's house and held until dark9. Out of his original 1500-man brigade, Gen. Walthall's brigade lost 8 killed, 42 wounded, and 845 missing. Company A of the 30th Miss. lost 1 officer, 1 NCO and 2 slightly wounded with 14 men missing.

Private Henry Cole was one of those taken prisoner. He was transferred to Louisville, Kentucky, then on to Rock Island Barracks located on the Mississippi River near Chicago. During the winter months, this camp experienced a fever epidemic. Fifteen hundred men died from exposure to the cold during the first 6 months of the camp. The death rate at this time was higher than any time at Andersonville.

Benjamin Tucker, (no relation but first husband of Henry Cole’s wife) Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment

Benjamin Tucker was from Carroll County and enlisted with Company A, 30 Mississippi Regiment. He was assigned to wagon detail and made some trips to carry wounded and delivery supplies. Private Benjamin Tucker was killed in one of the battles around Atlanta, leaving a widow and two children.

After the war, Henry Cole would marry his widow and raise the two Tucker children.

A couple of years after the war, Henry married the widow Sarah Land Tucker. They raised the two Tucker children plus four of their own. His name appeared on a list of veterans in a book for the Confederate Veterans Reunion of 1904 in Memphis, TN. He was admitted twice to the hospital at Confederate Soldiers' Home at Beauvoir, Miss.; once in 1914 and again in 1920. In 1920 he applied for his pension benefits while living with his daughter. On May 22, 1922, he again entered the Beauvoir hospital and died there on Aug. 27, 1923.
Henry was buried at the Beauvoir Cemetery on the grounds of the Jefferson Davis Home. His tombstone, which bears the incorrect unit, reads:
H. A. Cole
Co. A. 37th Miss

Photo of my cousin at Beauvoir
HenryCole-2008.jpg

The next post will contain the history on the HILL and TILGHMAN veterans on my Mother's side of the family. Hold your comments until I finish with the next post.

Attachments

• Map_Collierville2.jpg
    Map_Collierville2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
It would not let me tell my COLE story in 1 post.

Now to the patriarch of the family.
I first read a reference to his service in a locally published book “Military Annals of Carroll County”. This booklet documents the service of the men from Carroll County for the Civil War and the Spanish-American War. It contains rosters of regiments. So this was the first place I found the name Benjamin Tucker. Then under history of 5 Mississippi Cavalry, I found a statement:
Pvt Cole was killed at Collierville. At that time I didn’t know where Collierville was. Now I live there. At the time, I didn’t suspect this "Pvt Cole" was my ancestor but I ordered his service records anyway. Then I discovered the booklet was incorrect. Pvt. Richard W. Cole was killed in battle about this time but NOT at Collierville: instead it was at the Battle of Fort Pillow. However, this comment in the booklet is a good indication that my ancestor Richard W. Cole was present at the November 3rd Battle of Collierville.

Here is the story of my great-great-grandfather.

Richard Wesley Cole, Company C, 5th Mississippi Cavalry

Richard Cole lived in Black Hawk, Mississippi (near Carrolton in Carroll County. He saw his son Robert E. Cole go off to war, only to die during the first winter. Then Henry Cole left home and probably was not heard from. After the fall of Vicksburg, there was a desperate need for more soldiers. Richard W. Cole was 44 and within limits of the extended draft age.

Richard Cole enlisted into Company C, 5th Mississippi Cavalry, on Aug. 11, 1863. This regiment was formed under the command of Col. James Z. George. James Z. George had been adjutant general for the State of Mississippi and was give command of the Mississippi State Troops with a rank of General. When he transferred to the Confederate Army, he was a Colonel but some accounts still referred to him as “General George”. His regiment was referred to as “George’s Regiment” in many of the OR’s.

In the fall of 1863, General James R. Chalmers began organizing his cavalry division for operations and established his headquarters in Oxford, Mississippi. He was commanded to lead an attack on Union forces defending the Memphis & Charleston RR to act as a diversion for operations in northern Alabama. General Chalmers planned to attack the forts at either Germantown or Collierville, Tennessee. Since his scout, “Clubfoot” Fort, had provided a detailed map of Collierville, General Chalmers had selected this as his target. This raid began on 5 October, 1863 and would end on 13th. Chalmers took half of his command and crossed the Tallahatchie River at Wyatt. He left the 5 Mississippi Cavalry to guard this vital river crossing. A brigade under General Chalmers and another brigade under Col. R. V. Richardson began to drive back Union cavalry patrols at New Albany, Salem and Quinn’s Mill. They attacked the Union garrison manned by the 66 Indiana Regiment and earthen fort at Collierville on October 11th. Just as the battle started, a train pulled into town. On board were General Sherman and his staff, including Generals Lightburn and Ewing, as well as 240 of the seasoned 13 US Regulars. The Confederates attacked the fort and RR depot and sent flanking attacks around each side but they could not coordinate their attack to defeat the Union defenders.

General Chalmers’ division pulled out of Collierville and headed back to Oxford. The second day, they were pursued by Union cavalry. The Confederates stood and fought at Wyatt on October 13. This was probably the first engagement for the 5th Mississippi Cavalry.

On November 3, 1863, General Chalmers made his second attempt to attack the garrison at Collierville, Tennessee. Acting on faulty reports, General Chalmers moved his division quickly to the town and ordered an attack on what he thought would be one lone regiment, the 7 Illinois Cavalry. Instead the Union fort was defended by two cavalry regiments, supported with mountain howitzers.

General Chalmers’ lead units formed into two demi-brigades lead by Col. Slemon and Col. McCulloch and rapidly formed for an attack on the earth works. Slemon’s demi-brigade lead the attack. It consisted of the 3rd and 5th Mississippi Cavalry with the 2nd Arkansas Cavalry acting as skirmishers.

The 2nd Iowa Cavalry regiment arrived in town at the very moment of the attack and wheeled into position behind the railroad embankment. Two companies of the 2nd Iowa Cavalry was armed with 5-shot Colt revolver rifles. As the Confederates approached, they were met by a five volleys from the Iowa cavalry. Colonel George and two officers were the only men to reach the top of the railroad bed. Colonel George was captured; the charge was repulsed. The Confederates quickly retreated back into Mississippi.

Return of Casualties in Chalmers' command in the action at Collierville, Tenn., November 3, 1863

Report of Casualties from OR

+ McCulloch's Brigade
> 1 Miss P. Rangers …… KIA: Officers 0 Men 0 ..… WIA: Officers 1 Men 12 …… Total 13
> 18 Miss Btn ………… KIA: Officers 0 Men 1 ….. WIA: Officers 2 Men 3 …… Total 6
> 2 Missouri Cav …………… KIA: Officers 0 Men 0 …. WIA: Officers 2 Men 7 …… Total 9

+ Slemon's Brigade
> 3 Miss State Cav………….KIA: Officers 0 Men 0 … WIA: Officers 3 Men 19 …Total 23
> 5 Miss Cav ………………… KIA: Officers 0 Men 4 ….WIA: Officers 0 Men 14 … Total 18
…………………TOTAL …… KIA: Officers 0 Men 6 … WIA: Officers 8 Men 55 … Total 95

My Map Sketch of the 2nd Battle of Collierville, Nov, 3, 1863.
Map_Collierville2.jpg

In February 1864, General Forrest was promoted and formed a cavalry corps that incorporated General Chalmers’ division. General Forrest re-organized Chalmers command and placed the 5th Mississippi Cavalry under the brigade commanded by his brother, Col. Jeff E. Forrest. A large cavalry battle was fought on February 22 at Okolona. The Confederates drove back the Union forces The 5th Mississippi Cavalry was heavily engaged in fight. This battle was costly to the Confederates with the 5th Mississippi Cavalry losing its regimental commander and the brigade losing Col. Jeff Forrest.

General Forrest moved his corps into West Tennessee in March 1864. From a base in Jackson, he sent brigades and regiments out to attack Union garrisons. One took Union City and another failed to captured Paducah, KY, but took away supplies.

General Forrest ordered General James R. Chalmers to take two brigades to attack the fort. They rode all night in the rain and arrived at the fort at dawn on April 12, 1864. General Forrest also went along and he eventually took over the command of the battle when Chalmers expressed doubts about taking it.

After a truce, the final charge against the inner breastworks was led by McCulloch’s brigade and included the 5th Mississippi Cavalry. The 5th Mississippi Cavalry suffered the highest number of Confederate casualties which included 6 men killed and 12 wounded. The remaining killed in this skirmish included: 2nd Missouri had 2; Duffs’ Mississippi 1; Forrest's Regiment 1; and the 4th Brigade, consisting of 2nd, 15th, and 16th Tennessee with 5 killed. Private Richard W. Cole was one of these killed in action. Colonel Reed was fatally wounded in the shoulder, bowels and ankle and died two weeks later. General Forrest wrote to Gen. Polk on April 15:

"I sustained a loss of 20 killed and 60 wounded. Among the wounded is the gallant Lieut. Col. Wiley M. Reed while leading theFifth Mississippi."

This battle was called the "Fort Pillow Massacre", as the Yankees lost over 250 soldiers, mostly black, and 226 prisoners. The Confederates lost 20 killed and 80 wounded.

I have spent many hours reviewing service records for both Union and Confederate in order to document the casualties in a spreadsheet. My research has confirmed the Confederates casualties included 21 Killed in action(including mortally wounded) and 79 Wounded in action for a total of 100 casualties. An interesting statistic shows 21 of the 100 casualties or 20% were officers. The Confederates collected 226 official prisoners at the fort, some of them wounded. Adding the prisoners captured outside the fort and the next day brings the total to 254 Prisoners. This is about 43% of the total garrison estimated to be 580. This does not include civilians armed combatants who were released. The 336 remaining soldiers were mostly KIA or MIA and never heard from again.

After only 6 months serving under General Forrest, the 5th Mississippi Cavalry was reassigned and was no longer under command of General Forrest.

I have two avid Genealogists 3rd cousins who make up our Team Cole(photo, above). We formed a team with the goal of finding where the Confederate dead of Fort Pillow were buried. I have located graves of two who were killed at the fort, as opposed to mortally wounded. I have not found any OR or diary that provides a clue to where we could locate Private Richard Cole’s burial site.

Last edited:
Before I go to my Maternal ancestors, I will post the story of my Grandmother's Uncles.

Barton P. Pritchard 3rd Arkansas Regiment, Killed 2 July 1863 at Gettysburg.
My Paternal Grandfather’s brother.

My Great-Grandfather Pritchard was too young to serve in the War. However, he had two brothers who enlisted; both died.

When I read that Barton P. Pritchard served in the 3rd Arkansas, I wondered if that regiment saw any combat. I wasn't expecting much. However. . .
The 3rd Arkansas Regiment was brigaded in Hood’s Texas Brigade that included the 1, 4, & 5 Texas Regiments. Hood’s brigade participated in all the major battles in Virginia. At Gettysburg, the brigade was lead by Gen. Jerome B. Robertson but still proudly carried the name Hood’s Brigade. I won't retell the details of the Battle of Gettysburg. But on the second day of battle, Hood's Texas Brigade made an attack against the Union defenders at Devil's Den. Out of a total strength of 1,700 men in his brigade, General Robertson lost slightly more than 600 men or 34.8%. The 3rd Arkansas regiment brought 479 men to Gettysburg and lost 43 killed, 101 wounded, and 40 missing or captured.
Private Barton P. Pritchard was one of those killed on this day. I had a friend confirm his name was on the roll of Confederate dead.

William L. Pritchard Co. B, 26th Arkansas Regiment
Another Paternal Grandfather’s brother.

William Pritchard enlisted in the 26 Arkansas regiment. This regiment may have participated in one small battle in Arkansas--I'm not sure. It was garrisoned at Camp Nelson. During the fall of 1862, a measles epidemic struck the camp. William Pritchard died of disease. He was the brother to Barton Pritchard and my Grandmother’s uncle.

A brief history of Camp Nelson that I found on the internet.
Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery aka Camp Hope

In 1862, there were thousands of Confederate soldiers from Texas and Arkansas gathered near the settlement of Austin (Lonoke Co.) They were camped near what was then called Camp Hope. During the Fall of 1862, the camp was stricken by the measles, typhoid and a variety of other diseases that proved fatal to as many as 1,500 soldiers. These soldiers were buried throughout the countryside surrounding the camp. After the death of Brigadier General Allison Nelson in October 1862, Camp Hope was renamed Camp Nelson. By the end of 1862, the camp had been abandoned and was forgotten. Many years later, a group of local Confederate veterans initiated actions to establish a formal burial ground for the war dead. Veteran James Gately sold a small tract of land to the group. Through their diligence and determination, funds were found and eventually local crews were hired to scour the countryside looking for graves. Once located, the grave was opened, and the remains were placed in a box or barrel. They were then taken to the Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery and re-interred. Even though 428 individual headstones were placed in four equal sections, physical evidence uncovered in 1980 indicates that the dead were buried in a single trench upon being re-interred in 1905. Three flags, Texas, Arkansas and Confederate States of America, fly over the twelve foot tall monument which was placed in the center of the cemetery honoring all the soldiers.

Today, the Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery, the only all-Confederate cemetery in Arkansas, sits in a clearing in the woods off Cherry Road. During holiday periods, three flagstaffs carry the flags of Arkansas, Texas and the Confederacy. Beneath the flags, a 12-foot obelisk stands guard over rows of marble gravestones, each inscribed with the Confederate Cross of Honor and the words "Unknown Soldier CSA."

I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to be able to sit at the side of my Grandmother (the only grand-parent I knew) and have her tell stories about her two Uncles in the Civil War. Alas, I guess she was never told about them. I had to dig this up on the internet.

I still have to post the names of my HILL and TILGHMAN ancestors. Next.

Now for a list of family on my Mother's side.

Stephen T. Musselwhite Co. H, 17th Mississippi Regiment

Ancestors who served in 3rd (McGuirk’s) Mississippi Cavalry Regiment
Lewis Marion Tilghman
, 3rd (McGuirk’s) Mississippi Cavalry
Joel P. Hill Company K, 3rd (McGuirk’s) Mississippi Cavalry, maternal great-grandfather
And Possibly Joseph E. Tilghman, Company D, 3rd (McGuirk’s) Mississippi Cavalry

Stephen T. Musselwhite Co. H, 17 Mississippi Regiment
Great-great-grandfather on my Mother’s side.

Stephen Musselwhite enlisted in Company H, Panola Vindicators, of 17 Mississippi Regiment. His regiment was sent directly to Virginia where it played a small part of the Battle of Manassas. Then the 17 Miss along with the 18 Miss played a major role in pushing the Union infantry off of Balls’ Bluff. The 17th Mississippi Regiment continued to see service with the Army of Northern Virginia.

The 17 Mississippi would become part of General Barksdale’s brigade. At the Battle of Gettysburg, this brigade participated in one of the most successful attacks of the war at the Peach Orchard. According to some accounts, the brigade charged across the field and engaged as many as 21 different Union units, artillery and infantry.

The 17 Mississippi Regiment was sent to Battle of Chickamauga with Longstreet’s Corps. Private Musselwhite’s was wounded in this battle on September 20, 1863. He went on furlough for 30 days. He is then recorded as deserted but then appears on a list of prisoners at Memphis. His final record shows he signed an Oath of Allegience in June 1864.

After 1863, the conscription ages were expanded to include the younger and older men of the state. During this last year of the war, Joel Hill enlisted when he turned old enough. Lewis Tilghman also enlisted. Both joined the same regiment.

Lewis Tilghman’s records states he enlisted in April 1864 at age 38. However, these cavalry records are sketchy. It is also possible this is a record of the re-organization and Lewis may have been with the unit as early as July 1863, which is the time that the age limit was expanded on the draft. If that was the case, then he may have ridden on the same raids as Pvt. Richard W. Cole, 5 Mississippi Cavalry. But I don’t know this for sure.

Joel (P.) Hill, age 17 of Yalobusha County, enlisted at Oxford on April 25, 1864.

Summary of the family connections: Years after the war, James Beauregard Tilghman, son of Lewis Marion Tilghman, married Lillie Florence Musselwhite, the daughter of Stephen T. Musselwhite. Their daughter, Maude Tilghman, would marry James S. Hill, the son of Joel Pittman Hill.

When I started my genealogy research years ago, I searched hard for a HILL ancestor who was a veteran but could not find one. I only made the discovery about a year ago. Now I know that my mother had a Grandfather, and two Great-Grandfathers who were veterans.

The son of Lewis Marion Tilghman married the daughter of Stephen T. Musselwhite. The daughter from this marriage married the son of the young veteran, Joel P. Hill.

Family historian says that Joseph E. Tilghman, a brother to Lewis Marion Tilghman, may have served in McGuirk’s 3rd Mississippi Cavalry. The service records lists a J. E. Tilghman but there is little info about his service.

A brief history of
3rd (McGuirk’s) Mississippi Cavalry Regiment

The following is a brief summary of the 3rd (McGuirk’s) Mississippi Cavalry Regiment based upon the history by Dunbar Rowland.

Company K, aka Barksdale’s Rangers, was raised in Yalobusha County. It is first mentioned as Mississippi cavalry, with three companies lead by Col. John McGuirk, at Gen. Chalmers headquarters at Panola, April, 1863. It served under command of Col. J. Z. George but in August 1863, the regiment numbered 200 and was under the command of Colonel McGuirk and was used to patrol around Grenada.

The regiment was re-organized at Oxford in the latter part of April, 1864. It was transferred to different brigade and was with Forrest before transferring to Vicksburg area. McGuirk’s Cavalry was with Forrest on his West Tennessee Raid in April 1864 and provided a diversion while Forrest’s other forces attacked Fort Pillow.

What excites me is that McGuirk’s Cavalry played an important role in the Battle of Collierville, TN on Oct 11, 1863. As noted above, it could be possible that Pvt Lewis Marion Tilghman may have been with the regiment at that time.

I hope you enjoyed my family history. I have a few typo's and duplications due to how I copied from various files. I may go back and try to edit my posts.
I'm just now begnning to research the MARTIN and GARRETT families who married into my family.

EDITORIAL: When I was 8 to 10 years old, I would take trips to Vicksburg Battelfield. This really intrigued me. I wondered how these soldiers fought---who were they? Then during the Centennial, I traveled a few times to Virginia and my brother took me on tours of various battlefields. I just ate it up. But I did not know of any ancestor who fought in the War. ONLY IF I had known about my ancestors at that young age. I would have gone crazy. I probably would have started Re-enacting or something. Who knows, I may have become a park ranger or a battlefield archaeologist. Something besides an engineer geek.

Last edited:
Here is a larger Chart of my COLE relatives based upon research by my 3rd cousin who wrote a historical novel on my Richard W. Cole family during the Civil War, entitled "12 April". Richard's father, William Bibb Cole, Jr., moved into Alabama with Richard and another son, however, he continued on further and settled in Texas. That is why Richard has 2 brothers and 2 brother-in-laws who served in Texas units as well as many nephews.
I tried to create a Legend that made it easier to determine the relationship to Richard W. Cole and his wife Eliza Jane JONES, who were the two main characters in his novel.

Richard's nephew, Leander Washington Cole, served in Company C of the 3rd Regiment Texas Cavalry. He was wounded at the Battle of Oak Hills, Missouri (aka Battle of Wilson's Creek) on 10 August 1861 and died 2 days later. He was the first soldier of Cherokee County, Texas, to be killed in battle.
COLE Soldiers Chart.JPG

I wanted to post some updates on my MUSSELWHITE family. I previously posted that about Gr-gr-Grandfather Stephen Musselwhite(1834-1880) who served in the 17th Mississippi Regiment. Stephen Musselwhite married Sarah GUEST just prior to the start of the Civil War. A few months ago, I had found out that both of them had 10 to 12 siblings, so the obvious question was: Did any of their brothers serve in the War. Yes! Several.
This chart shows the brothers of both of them. Some served in the same regiment as Stephen since they lived in the same county. One, William Musselwhite, served in the 30th Mississippi with my Gr-grandfather Henry A. Cole and was also captured at Lookout Mountain. I used symbols to indicate which ones were wounded, captured and killed. One of them was wounded but died a few weeks later so I marked him KIA.

Chart__Musselwhite.JPG

Here is another interesting find on my COLE family. My 3rd cousin is a real "genie" researcher and obtained copies of some great documents.
My CW Veteran, Richard W. Cole, married a Eliza Jane JONES. Tracing back through this line, I come to an Andrew VINEY(1712-1782) and a John McHenry(1740-1805)(whose father was Barabus McHenDry). They were neighbors and were connected through marriage. My cousin has a document that surveyed their land in Virginia in 1749. The surveyor was George Washington.

Survey VINEY.JPG

I also realized that Richard Cole(1819-1864) named one of his daughters "Viney", which is carried down from the VINEY family line.

Here is an explanation.

"In 1748 George Washington came with his friend George William Fairfax to what is now Mineral and Hampshire Counties in West Virginia. He was not a licensed surveyor, but he gained experience by working with James Genn and could not sign the surveys; technically they were surveys by Genn. On July 20, 1749, Washington was certified as the Surveyor of Culpeper County and was authorized to survey in Virginia. From that point on he signed the surveys.

There were 14 surveys George Washington prepared in November of 1749 for the settlers of a tract granted by Lord Fairfax in the Lost River Valley (in what is now Hardy County, West Virginia).

1 Nov for Edward Hogan 330.00 acres
2 Nov for Robert Denton 386.25 acres
3 Nov for Francis McBride 386.25 acres
4 Nov for William McBride 386.25 acres
5 Nov for John Elswick 406.00 acres
6 Nov for Ann Dunbar 412.50 acres
7 Nov for James Scott 386.25 acres
8 Nov for Joseph How 386.25 acres
9 Nov for Andrew VINEY 386.25 acres
10 Nov for Luke Collins 386.25 acres
11 Nov for Barnaby McHENDRY 400.00 acres
12 Nov for William Baker 386.25 acres
13 Nov for Samuel Baker 396.00 acres
14 Nov for William Warden 400.00 acres"

Last edited:
This first post follows my great-great-grandfather on the COLE family and his children including his son-in-laws. My objective is to tell their collective stories but keep it pretty brief. I list the family and then will cover each one separately. My next post will cover the HILL and TILGHMAN family members.

The COLE Family of Black Hawk, Carroll County, Mississippi

Biographies of the following veterans are described in this thread. I will tell their story in a chronological order as to their time in service. Here are the names of my Great-Great-Grandfather and his children and his son-in-laws. A biography for each person follows, below.

• Richard Wesley Cole, Company C, 5th Mississippi Cavalry; KIA
  • Robert E. Cole, Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment; Died, disease
  • Henry Asbury Cole, Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment, PW
  • William Ball (Richards’ son-in-law) Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment
  • James Slicer Purcell (Richards’ future son-in-law) Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment
  • William J. Ware (Richards’ future son-in-law) Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment
  • Benjamin Tucker, (no relation but first husband of Henry Cole’s wife) Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment
Here is a chart to illustrate the family connections and associated regiments.
View attachment 18532

The first family to enlist:
Robert E. Cole, Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment

Robert E. Cole was the first member of his family to enlist on April 20, 1861. The company traveled to Grenada to join up with other companies to form a regiment but there were no units available. When the Black Hawk Rifles arrived, all the regiments had been formed. For months, the unit could not find enough men to assemble together. Several members became discouraged. Captain H. J. Reid traveled to Richmond to obtain an order from the war department to have their companies mustered into Confederate service as independent companies. On Sept. 6, 1861, 78 officers and men re-enlisted into a unit that became the "22nd Mississippi Regiment, Company G". The regiment was sent directly to the campaign in Kentucky.

The regiment was bivouacked at Camp Beauregard near Feliciana, Ky., from Nov. 1st to Dec. 25th. During this period from Nov. 1st to Dec. 25th, the regiment participated in night marches in the freezing rain. Many soldiers became sick due to exposure to the elements. Several of the regiment were discharged due to illness or died of pneumonia. Even the regiment's commander, Col. Bonham, became ill and died. Private Robert Cole died on Dec. 1, 1861. His father, Richard Cole, traveled to Kentucky to claim his son's body. He signed discharge papers that described Robert as a student and included a physical description. He also received his son's back pay of $11/month and $4 clothing allowance.

Since his Father signed for receipt of his back pay there in Kentucky, it is assumed that he brought his son’s body back to their home in Black Hawk. Next to his mother’s grave is his headstone, which reads:

Robert E. Cole
son of R.W. & E.J. Cole
Sept 18, 1841 - Dec 1, 1861

When I began searching for a family who served in the Civil War, I read the inscription on Robert’s headstone and dismissed him as being a soldier. I incorrectly surmised that he died too early to have been in any battle in Mississippi or surrounding area. It just didn’t fit any time-line. I was prompted by a local librarian to order his service records as she was convinced this had to be a relative of mine. I’ve learned to listen to these librarians.

Fast forward to 1910, when Mrs. George Fuller of the Daughters of the Confederacy decided to create a monument to those who died at Camp Beauregard. She placed ads in the "Confederate Veteran", the Memphis Commercial Appeal and other newspapers requesting veterans to contact her about their experience at Camp Beauregard, KY. From the responses, she published a booklet entitled "A History of Camp Beauregard" on the history of the camp and the soldiers who died there during the winter of 1861-62. The funds raised from the sale of the book purchased a monument that was erected in 1920.

Among the many letters that were published in this book were some from veterans of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment. One letter listed the names of the members of Company G who died there, including Private Robert E. Cole.

The following letter was written by the Surgeon of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment. It gives a detailed account of the suffering that they experienced. The letter ends with his remarks that these men should be honored as much as any soldier who died in the field of battle.

August 17, 1914
Mrs. Geo. T. Fuller
Dear Madam:

I am in receipt of your favor of the 7th instant in behalf of the Confederate monument to be erected to the memory of the Confederate dead at Camp Beauregard, Ky.

I can add but little to the facts contained in your printed circular except to correct a few errors as to my Regiment the 22nd Miss. Inf., which at that time was called Bonham’s Miss. War Regiment. We, the Black Hawk Rifles, had enlisted at Iuka, Miss., for the war, early in September, 1861. We were assigned to Col. Bonham’s War Regiment, then at Memphis, Tenn. Col. Bonham having been commissioned by Pres. Davis to raise a regiment for the war. Our company filled his regiment.

The field officers were appointed by Pres. Davis; Col., D. W. C. Bonham* , Lieut. Col. Frank Schaller (a Frenchman); Major Chas. G. Nelms; Surgeon Dr. John Meyers; ***’t Surgeon Dr. G. C. Phillips; Quartermaster Wm. Jane; Adj. Wm. Burke. In a few days we were ordered to Columbus to reinforce Gen. Polk, but without leaving the train we were ordered back to Union City. In a week or ten days we were ordered to Camp Beauregard to protect Gen. Polk’s right. In a few days there were between 6 and 7000 troops assembled there; all new and fresh from home, except the 1st Missouri and 9th and 10th Arkansas, who had seen service before crossing the Miss. River.

Col. John S. Bowen of the 1st Missouri Regt., a graduate of West Point, was made a Brigadier General and placed in command of the Brigade on Gen. Bowen’s staff and Dr. Phillips became acting surgeon and afterwards full surgeon of the 22nd Miss. Regt. { Phillips became surgeon for the Company}

The measles had gone through the regiment before it was made up of the companies then composing it, in many cases leaving some bronchial or intestinal {sic} trouble, rendering them easy marks for pneumonia and typhoid fever. The weather became cold and rainy, then sleet and snow. The drilling and picket duty to most of the men was very hard, and the diet was not what they were accustomed to. It was mostly fresh beef and flour, no vegetables, with plenty of coffee, tea, tobacco and whiskey. Soon typhoid fever and pneumonia broke out among the men. There were 75 cases of typhoid fever and typhoid pneumonia in my hospital tent during one month. I speak only of our own regiment. It was as bad or worse than other regiments. Then the most terrible disease, cerebrospinal meningitis broke out, killing nearly every case attacked, and frequently in a few hours. In one instance the men in a certain mess had just come in from drilling, and whilst waiting for their dinner to cook, one of them commenced to talk queer, then jerk his head back and fell over in convulsions. One ran to the Surgeon’s quarters and burst in his tent, saying - “Come, Dr., quick, one of our men has that thing.” When we reached the tent another one of the men had been taken in the same way and in three hours both were dead. The drs.{sic} were all at sea. None of us had ever seen a case of this disease. We knew the brain and spinal cord were affected, but who so many similar cases? This was an epidemic and more fatal than yellow fever. We knew that a disease very similar in symptoms to this attacked the new recruits in the French Army during Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt, but this did not help us, as no remedy was known for it.

Col. Bonham* sent for me and asked if nothing could be done to stop this high death rate among his men. It was worse than a battle. The men became depressed and gloomy, each one feared that he would be the next one taken and if so it meant death. Men in apparent perfect health, on going to bed, would be taken in the night, and by the next night might be dead. I advised the Col. to move his camp, if only half a mile, and to have his commissary issue corn meal, bacon, dry salty meat, turnips, potatoes, onions and cow peas as rations to the men, that this was an experiment, but I could advise nothing else. This was done and for the two weeks afterwards that we remained there, (being then ordered to Bowling Green, Ky.) we had no more of this terrible disease and typhoid fever and pneumonia fell very markedly. The troops remaining there continued to suffer.

These men, who suffered and died at Camp Beauregard, were just as brave and patriotic as their comrades and friends, who fell upon the great battlefields of the War Between the States, and in whose honor and memory beautiful and noble monuments have been erected. They too should be honored in the same way. It was no fault of theirs that they did not live to be killed at Shiloh, Vicksburg or Franklin, where so many of the regiment were killed, and whose resting places are marked by headstones and beautiful monuments - erected by loving descendants and friends in memory of their heroism, courage and glorious death.

I am Very respectfully yours,

G. C. Phillips M. D.
Ex Surgeon
22nd Miss. Regiment
Confederate Infantry

Then in the 1980’s, the Tilghman-Beauregard Camp of the SCV re-published Mrs. Fuller's book to raise money for an addition to the monument. A larger base was added to the monument. Also at some time, headstones were ordered and placed in the cemetery where the monument is located. Several of the headstones were for soldiers of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment. One of them is marked with Pvt. Robert E. Cole of Company G. Robert Cole has two burial sites!! However, I truly believe that he was brought home and buried in Black Hawk, Mississippi.

Grave of Pvt Robert E. Cole at Camp Beauregard, KY
View attachment 18533

I thought I was lucky to have a letter and a story written by Robert’s regimental surgeon that explains how these men died. Another stroke of luck is that the captain of the Black Hawk Rifles published a small booklet that tells about Company G. Captain H. J. Reid was the commander of Company G and later promoted to colonel of the regiment. His book, “Sketch of the Black Hawk Rifles”, is not as much a history of the regiment and their experiences as an accounting of every soldier who enlisted, killed, discharged, or surrendered. I’ve never seen any book quite like this for one company and it is a great source to have on my relative.

Now fast forward to 2004. A small group of descendants of Richard W. Cole gather at the Methodist Cemetery at Black Hawk to dedicate the refurbished headstones of Eliza Cole and her son, Robert E. Cole. Their headstones were repaired and supported by installing a new based that was slotted to accept the old headstone. The new bases were engraved with their names and dates. Robert Cole’s base was engraved to record his service in the Black Hawk Rifles. Family members spoke words over the graves and re-told the stories based upon our research. The Stanford Battery reenactment group fired a 3-volley salute from original 3-inch ordnance rifle gun.
Photo of the Team Cole at the 2004 re-dedication of the
Grave of Pvt Robert E. Cole (left) and his mother
Eliza Cole(right) at Black Hawk, MS.

View attachment 18534

Here I will insert the story of the son-in-laws who enlisted in the same regiment.

Son-in-Laws to Richard W. Cole

William Ball
Company G, Black Hawk Rifles, 22nd Mississippi regiment
James Slicer Purcell Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment
William J. Ware Company G, 22nd Mississippi regiment

Three more names that appear on the roster of the Black Hawk Rifles are three men who were married to Richard Cole’s daughters or would marry one after the war. These are not direct relatives but it is interesting to see how the war impacted the Cole family through the daughters.

Records for William Ball show he enlisted in the Black Hawk Rifles early. Thanks to the booklet published by Captain Reid and his service records, Private William Ball appears to have been sick on several occasions and away from his regiment. He was discharged from the 22nd Mississippi due to medical problems, but would later serve in the defense of Atlanta. Private William Ball appeared on a roster of local militia defending the city. He was finally discharged from service due to illness.

James Slicer Purcell and Sergeant W. J. Ware served through the entire war with the 22nd Mississippi. They were among the 27 men who were present with Company G when it surrendered on April 26, 1865.

Some historians have estimated the 22nd Mississippi Regiment traveled a total of 6,000 miles during its service. Kentucky in winter 1861/1862, Bowling Green(KY), passed through Nashville, Shiloh, Corinth, Fort Pemberton(Greenwood), traveled back into central Mississippi, Meridian(Sherman’s Meridian campaign), then towards Rome(GA), Resaca, New Hope and Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville, Bentonville (NC), and finally surrendered at Greensboro(NC).

The 22nd Mississippi had a remarkable record of service even though it was basically without its commander. Lt.-Col. Frank Schaller replaced Col. Bonham who died at Camp Beauregard. Col. Schaller lead the regiment at the Battle of Shiloh. After that he was absent from the regiment. He spent time in Virginia and even on something like a recruiting tour. Once he almost made it back to his regiment but returned to his extended leave. His journal is published in the book: "Soldiering For Glory"; the Civil War Letters of Colonel Frank Schaller, Univ. of South Carolina Press, 2007. It is not a very glowing account of his military service.

James Slicer Purcell married Richard Cole's daughter, Frances Melissa Cole, in 1869 and settled in Louisiana. William J. Ware married Richard Cole's daughter, Virginia "Jennie" Cole, and later moved to Texas.

Richard Cole’s youngest son was not old enough to serve in the war. However, Richard Bascum Cole married Martha Jane Barrentine, the daughter of Henry Jackson Barrentine--- another veteran of the Black Hawk Rifles. Richard B. Cole moved to Texas and had 12 children and many descendants of the COLE family.

1899 Reunion of Veterans of 22nd Mississippi Regiment
View attachment 18535
Most of these veterans were from Company G, Black Hawk Rifles. Included in this photo are George C. Phillips(back row, left), the surgeon for the regiment and Captain H. J. Reid (back row, center).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After researching my Great-Grandfather Henry Cole for 5 years or so, my aunt handed me a newspaper clipping with his obituary. After I calmed down, it was exciting to find out that I was on the right path.

Henry Asbury Cole, Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment

Family oral history said Henry Cole ran away from home at age 16 to join the army. After researching records, the current family historians have surmised what may have occurred. After his brother Robert enlisted and even maybe after the news of his brother’s death, Henry left home at age 16 as the story says. However, he does not appear in the rolls of any unit for a few more years. We think he took odd jobs in the Army camps and may have worked as a mule-skinner or hauling supplies.

Henry enlisted in Company A, 30th Miss., which consisted of men from Carroll County. In this same unit was a soldier 10 years older than Henry by the name of Benjamin F. Tucker. After the war, Henry would marry Benjamin Tucker's widow, which suggests the two must have become very acquainted during service. Private Tucker's records indicates he was occasionally assigned wagon duty and transported injured soldiers to the hospital. It is possible that, prior to his enlistment, Henry Cole was assigned as a contract mule skinner to assist Private Tucker. The two were most likely acquaintances in Carroll County before the war, even though Henry was at least 10 years younger than Benjamin.

We are not sure how he got to Chattanooga. However, on Nov. 22, 1863, Henry enlisted in Company A, "Neill's Guard", 30th Mississippi Regiment. Company A had been formed from Black Hawk, so Henry must have known several of the men in this company. The 30th Mississippi was part of Gen. Edward Walthall's brigade, which was placed on the western base of Lookout Mountain. The night before the battle, the three brigades of the Confederate's left flank were placed under a new commander and repositioned on the mountain. The next day, Nov. 24, the Yankees had three divisions in position on the west side of Lookout Mountain; one division from each of their three armies. Their plan was to attack across Lookout Creek from the west and advance north along the slope of Lookout Mountain and crush the Confederate left flank that encircled Chattanooga.

Before the Battle of Lookout Mountain began on Nov. 24, the 30th Miss. was under arms an hour before daybreak. Much of the regiment was placed as a picket line along Lookout Creek and Tennessee River. As the Yankees crossed below them, the picket line found themselves being cut off from defenses on Lookout Mountain. Companies I & C were sent forward to strengthen the picket line as it gave way before the Yankee assault. The whole regiment deployed as skirmishers to support it. Men clung to their posts in the rocks until surrounded and captured. The brigade finally rallied after a 3-hour fight just past the Craven's house and held until dark9. Out of his original 1500-man brigade, Gen. Walthall's brigade lost 8 killed, 42 wounded, and 845 missing. Company A of the 30th Miss. lost 1 officer, 1 NCO and 2 slightly wounded with 14 men missing.

Private Henry Cole was one of those taken prisoner. He was transferred to Louisville, Kentucky, then on to Rock Island Barracks located on the Mississippi River near Chicago. During the winter months, this camp experienced a fever epidemic. Fifteen hundred men died from exposure to the cold during the first 6 months of the camp. The death rate at this time was higher than any time at Andersonville.

Benjamin Tucker, (no relation but first husband of Henry Cole’s wife) Company A, Neill’s Guards, 30 Mississippi regiment

Benjamin Tucker was from Carroll County and enlisted with Company A, 30 Mississippi Regiment. He was assigned to wagon detail and made some trips to carry wounded and delivery supplies. Private Benjamin Tucker was killed in one of the battles around Atlanta, leaving a widow and two children.

After the war, Henry Cole would marry his widow and raise the two Tucker children.

A couple of years after the war, Henry married the widow Sarah Land Tucker. They raised the two Tucker children plus four of their own. His name appeared on a list of veterans in a book for the Confederate Veterans Reunion of 1904 in Memphis, TN. He was admitted twice to the hospital at Confederate Soldiers' Home at Beauvoir, Miss.; once in 1914 and again in 1920. In 1920 he applied for his pension benefits while living with his daughter. On May 22, 1922, he again entered the Beauvoir hospital and died there on Aug. 27, 1923.
Henry was buried at the Beauvoir Cemetery on the grounds of the Jefferson Davis Home. His tombstone, which bears the incorrect unit, reads:
H. A. Cole
Co. A. 37th Miss

Photo of my cousin at Beauvoir

View attachment 18536

The next post will contain the history on the HILL and TILGHMAN veterans on my Mother's side of the family. Hold your comments until I finish with the next post.
You might find this of interest - a broadside of "Survivors of the 22nd Mississippi Infantry" http://da.mdah.ms.gov/series/broadsides/detail/520551

You might find this of interest - a broadside of "Survivors of the 22nd Mississippi Infantry"
Thanks. I recognize a few names---one being J. S. Purcell who married Frances "Fannie" Melissa Cole on February 2, 1868.
I have Captain(Colonel) Reed's "Sketch of the Black Hawk Rifles" which gives account of every soldier who served in Company G.

Is there a way to download the documents from MDAH?

Thanks. I recognize a few names---one being J. S. Purcell who married Frances "Fannie" Melissa Cole on February 2, 1868.
I have Captain(Colonel) Reed's "Sketch of the Black Hawk Rifles" which gives account of every soldier who served in Company G.

Is there a way to download the documents from MDAH?
Unfortunately you can't download the image, but you can request a digital scan of it from MDAH for $5 plus postage.

Unfortunately you can't download the image
Bummer. I like the collection but sometimes it is difficult to browse. You read one sheet and go Next and then you have to scroll the page and re-size the document each time.

You got me browsing the site. I found a Category of Indigent and Disabled Soldiers and Dependents, 1863-1868. This has a list by County but there is an extra "folder" labeled Unidentified County. I think I solved which county: Carroll County. I matched about 9 names to soldiers from companies of Carroll County. One was the 1st husband of my Gr-Grandmother, who died in Atlanta.
I sent you an IM about this.

Back