My M1841 Whitneyville Mississippi Rifle

Thomasgat

Private
I thought I would share some photos of my first war period gun - the Whitneyville M1841 Mississippi Rifle. 1850.
This one is missing the strap d-ring at the trigger housing and the contents of the tool kit (which I imagine most are); from photos I have seen of other similar guns, the ram rod does not appear to be original - but, its a beauty. If anyone comes across the original parts I need, please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1221 (1).jpg
    IMG_1221 (1).jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 236
Great first CW rifle. My first musket many years ago was a Harpers Ferry Model 1841. These hold a double interest as the first ones that were issued were Whitney Manufacture to the 1st Mississippi Infantry for the Mexican war, hence the name "Mississippi Rifle". I may have a trigger bow with a swivel in my parts box I can give you, I'll check and see. Your stock is a Harpers Ferry manufacture, but heck, wouldn't bother me. Nice rifle that has stories to tell that has seen the elephant!

... This one is missing the strap d-ring at the trigger housing and the contents of the tool kit (which I imagine most are); from photos I have seen of other similar guns, the ram rod does not appear to be original - but, its a beauty. If anyone comes across the original parts I need, please let me know!

Indeed it is a nice one; mine - stolen now long ago - actually still had the spare nipple screwed into its aperture inside the patch box.

Original musket tools for the M1841 will set you back a bit. But if you want repros of the ball puller & worm both Rifle Shoppe & Track of the Wolf offer them. An original M1841 tool is the best option as the repro is absolute junk.

Great first CW rifle. My first musket many years ago was a Harpers Ferry Model 1841. These hold a double interest as the first ones that were issued were Whitney Manufacture to the 1st Mississippi Infantry for the Mexican war, hence the name "Mississippi Rifle". I may have a trigger bow with a swivel in my parts box I can give you, I'll check and see. Your stock is a Harpers Ferry manufacture, but heck, wouldn't bother me. Nice rifle that has stories to tell that has seen the elephant!
Thanks - yes, the Mississippi Rifles led by Jefferson Davis!

Original musket tools for the M1841 will set you back a bit. But if you want repros of the ball puller & worm both Rifle Shoppe & Track of the Wolf offer them. An original M1841 tool is the best option as the repro is absolute junk.
Yup, thanks. I really want originals...worth the wait...one day I will find them.

I think the ramrod may be original if it's in .58. I can't see the rear sight to see if it is the original notch or something else.

Regardless it's very nice.
Thanks - yes, I am told it was bored and converted to .58 caliber to fire the mini ball - I think the new technology came out in the 1855 model (correct me if I am wrong), and so many people had these in their families before the war, that most of them were converted for use, and some (probably in the South) used as is at .54.

Thanks - yes, I am told it was bored and converted to .58 caliber to fire the mini ball - I think the new technology came out in the 1855 model (correct me if I am wrong), and so many people had these in their families before the war, that most of them were converted for use, and some (probably in the South) used as is at .54.
Those converted to .58 were strictly military. I'm unaware of any in .58 being sold on the civilian market prior to the war.

If you could post a picture of the top barrel band and rear sight area we might be better able to give you some more info.

Very Nice. From you enthusiasm I would bet it will be the first of many.

Back