My Labor Day visit to Mumma's farm...

Bruce Vail

Captain
Hello everybody!

My wife and I had a lovely trip on Labor Day to Sharpsburg. Md., where we visited tthe Mumma Farm at the Antietam battlfield park.

We'd been to the park before, but had not visited Mumma farm. I wanted to go especially because it is the prinicpal landmark in the Antietam battlefield experience of Lt. George W. Ward, my wife's great great grandfather who fought in the Confederate army.

Today's Mumma farmhouse bears almost no resembalance to the structure that was torched by Lt. Ward's unit, but it was fun and interesting to be on the site and try to imagine what it was really like there on the day of the battle.

Mumma-Farm-House.jpg

Alfred Waud was present at the battle and made this skecth

Mumma-Farm-Burning.jpg

The weather was lovely and park very lighly attended. We didn't see any park rangers anywhere, which was a little disappointing, because I definitely needed some help trying to identify the orientation of Waud's drawing.

Amyway, I've checked this one off of my bucket list...

Last edited:
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. You and your wife will want to join us tonight for the program with Stephen Recker. He will be sharing old pictures of Antietam which I suspect but can't guarantee will include some of the Mumma Farm. He will be talking about his book Rare Images of Antietam and the Photographers Who Took Them and bringing along some relics with stories to show and talk about. Here's the link to the info. Be sure to register in advance. These programs are FREE. They have been getting more and more popular and the Zoom room is limited to 100 guests. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stephen-recker-september-9th-at-8-30-pm-edt.177045/

Back