My Humble Civil War Relics

Tut11

Sergeant
Dug these out of my collection, and needed a image of them so I thought I would post them for all to see. I have no idea what all of these are as I haven't done the research on them yet, but grateful to own some pieces of American history. @jude

20190108_130735.jpg

Dug these out of my collection, and needed a image of them so I thought I would post them for all to see. I have no idea what all of these are as I haven't done the research on them yet, but grateful to own some pieces of American history. @jude

View attachment 218178
Nice tut. It’s hard to tell one most of them but likes like the 2nd to last on the bottom is a ringtail sharps bullet. 4th from the bottom right is a shot 3 ringer. Bottom left looks like a nice buckle probably bridle- horse. You have some nice roundballs or musket. That 2nd one top left. Does it have crimp marks in the grove? Bc if it does it’s not Civil War era

View attachment 218178
Looks good to me. I am a little late getting started collecting. Nothing yet, but now I am on the lookout.

Hello all. As you know I am an newby, and am interested in starting to collect a few relics. Where is a good place to start, and what should I watch out for to not get ripped off. Thanks

Nice tut. It’s hard to tell one most of them but likes like the 2nd to last on the bottom is a ringtail sharps bullet. 4th from the bottom right is a shot 3 ringer. Bottom left looks like a nice buckle probably bridle- horse. You have some nice roundballs or musket. That 2nd one top left. Does it have crimp marks in the grove? Bc if it does it’s not Civil War era[/QUOT

Thanks @jude , there is no crimp marks in the grove that I can see. i'll break out my magnifiers and look more closely.
The large CS buckle is what i don't know really what it is, I am assuming it's for a belt or shoulder strap of some kind. By the way want to sell a couple of your larger bullets? I like to have a set of all the bullets fired in the civil war and your collection looked like you probably have all styles. PM me sometime.

Hello all. As you know I am an newby, and am interested in starting to collect a few relics. Where is a good place to start, and what should I watch out for to not get ripped off. Thanks
Thanks everyone! I picked these up on EBAY as there is tons of stuff from reputable dealers there. Just deal with those whom have 99% or better for there customer rating. Some good prices two, won't break the bank. There is also some excellent dealers here at CWT, just search Relics if I'm not mistaken.

Yes Dave be careful bc there are lots of fakes, especially with buckles. I do sell a few things sometimes only if I have doubles or triples of some things I find metal detecting

@Tut11 Nice start. Could post photos of the front and back of the top piece with the old English CS.

Where is a good place to start

The best place to start is with a reference book. Ive been digging my own relics for many many years so it a great place to acquire relics. If you are going to start collecting the thing to do is pick a certain area, buttons, bullets, belt plates etc and then do your research. Buttons are a GREAT place to start as they are well marked and easy to ID.

@Tut11 Nice start. Could post photos of the front and back of the top piece with the old English CS.

The best place to start is with a reference book. Ive been digging my own relics for many many years so it a great place to acquire relics. If you are going to start collecting the thing to do is pick a certain area, buttons, bullets, belt plates etc and then do your research. Buttons are a GREAT place to start as they are well marked and easy to ID.

Thank you for the information. I have seen the buttons before and some are very unique. I probably start with bullets for now and then move into buttons. Wanting a few for a wall mount collection to accent my models. Here's the pics of the CS Buckle about 3" in dia.

20190108_181556.jpg

20190108_181533.jpg

20190108_181609.jpg

My GG Grandfather was in the 24th Virginia Infantry Co. C I think I will start there and see if any buttons are available etc.

Back