My grandmother and the old dead soldier.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
For some reason my grandfather befriended a Civil War veteran. My grandfather ended up purchasing the cemetery plot right next to the plot of the old soldier. This caused my grandmother to be angry for years as she did not want to be "buried anywhere near that creepy old soldier". Not even if my grandfather was between them. She wanted to be buried on the other side of the cemetery next to her two daughters and her mother.

My grandfather passed first so the plan was to put their son between his father and the old soldier, and bury grandma, as was she wished, on the other side of the cemetery. Well in the end they put grandma right next to the "creepy old Civil War soldier". Had she know she would have had a fit. Maybe she does.

Once or twice each year I have to pull up the poison ivy that grows on the side of my grandmother's headstone between her and the old soldier and straighten out her headstone as it partly turns sideways every year. This is the only poison ivy the grows in that part of the cemetery. I have never had to straighten out any other relative's headstone. I have always believed this was my grandmother paying us back for burying her next to the old soldier against her wishes.

This past year my daughter and her daughter pulled the poison ivy and made me sit in the shade drinking lemonade as I was "too old" to be pulling poison ivy in the heat. I sat in the shade but was not all that happy to be "too old". Perhaps I should I have told them the story and pointed out that the poison ivy might be haunted? I expect the poison ivy will be back in the spring and I will need to take a pry bar out cemetery and straighten out her headstone.

This past year my daughter and her daughter pulled the poison ivy and made me sit in the shade drinking lemonade as I was "too old" to be pulling poison ivy in the heat. I sat in the shade but was not all that happy to be "too old". Perhaps I should I have told them the story and pointed out that the poison ivy might be haunted? I expect the poison ivy will be back in the spring and I will need to take a pry bar out cemetery and straighten out her headstone.

I wish you and your daughter/grand well in the continuing battle against the ivy threat. Bring gloves and dispense as needed while you drink lemonade under the shade.

They of course, must bring along a guy to heft and pry w/ the crowbar--a long one would be best, then back-fill--while you are having your "lemonade" and watching from the shade.

It wasn't uncommon in here in New England (and other states) for people to make provision for the graves of destitute veterans. I read of an instance in New York where a man bought a large cemetery plot specifically for that purpose (there are 4-6 old soldiers buried there who might otherwise landed up in a Potters Field arrangement). Your grandfather was a good man!

Back