My grandfather picture

Monroe

Cadet
20190628_061005.jpg

CSA Gen Cards 003A.jpg

General Bragg
Indeed this photo of Bragg in what appears to be a Union general's uniform, plus added stars on the collar, was one of several made up by photographers and/or merchandisers like Charles Magnus on the card in my collection above. In 1861 when these were created, either no one knew what a Confederate general's uniform was supposed to look like - or else they were portrayed in prewar or militia uniforms they may or may not have ever worn, often painted directly over civilian photos. This was done to take advantage of the market created by consumer curiosity about these new news-makers. These photos of Bragg appear to date from the mid-1850's when he owned and operated a sugar plantation in Louisiana.

James, Bragg's days on the plantation led to his squabble with Colonel Randal L. Gibson where he called him "Entre nous, he is an arrant coward."^ Gibson's family owned an adjacent plantation and they seemed to not be cordial relations between the familes. Imagine that!
I recomend reading the thread listed below.

@Monroe how are you related? Could you share some of your family tree with us? Bragg has never been a popular figure and it might make him more human to hear has kin who might have loved and respected him not as soldier but as a man.

Regards
David

^https://civilwartalk.com/threads/braxton-braggs-letter-about-shiloh.163989/#post-2139003

Back