My G-G-G Grandfather's Photo - 10th Kentucky Cavalry

Hello everyone! I have this low quality photo of my G-G-G Grandfather in his uniform. His name is Joseph McAllister Cazzell from Greenup, Kentucky. He served in the 10th Kentucky Cavalry Regiment, Company "K". He also later served in the 54th Kentucky Volunteer Mounted Infantry. I was hoping to have this photograph restored and I've recently tried using an artist on Fiverr to get a better result, but I still don't like the progress. I have a description of his hair and eye color, and the uniform colors should be well known. Is there a recommended source for getting an old copy like this turned into a high quality image? Thank you in advance for your help!

Here is the best copy I have:

H9bTW5U.jpg

This is the current progress of the Fiverr artist that I've been working back and forth with....still not happy... The watermark is still there because this is only a "preview". Once I accept the work it will release the full sized image. I just thought it could be better.

QsjsWNM.jpg

You could probably make an appeal to various reddit based groups for Photoshop/image editing. Colorized history and etc. I'd guess a good portion would do it for free but that's up to the person.

Nice photo. Love that big ole Remington New Model. Here are his Fold3 records

Attachments

• jm cazzell-1.pdf
    644.6 KB · Views: 162
  • jm cazzell.pdf
    647.2 KB · Views: 156
Hello everyone! I have this low quality photo of my G-G-G Grandfather in his uniform. His name is Joseph McAllister Cazzell from Greenup, Kentucky. He served in the 10th Kentucky Cavalry Regiment, Company "K". He also later served in the 54th Kentucky Volunteer Mounted Infantry. I was hoping to have this photograph restored and I've recently tried using an artist on Fiverr to get a better result, but I still don't like the progress. I have a description of his hair and eye color, and the uniform colors should be well known. Is there a recommended source for getting an old copy like this turned into a high quality image? Thank you in advance for your help!

Here is the best copy I have:

H9bTW5U.jpg

This is the current progress of the Fiverr artist that I've been working back and forth with....still not happy... The watermark is still there because this is only a "preview". Once I accept the work it will release the full sized image. I just thought it could be better.

QsjsWNM.jpg

Great photo ! Congratulations on having such a keepsake ! My wife has a 2 x great-grandpa who was a teamster with the 11th KY Cavalry. His nephew, also in the 11th, (her 3 x 1st cousin), was captured here in east Tennessee and died at Andersonville. Welcome !

Great photo ! Congratulations on having such a keepsake ! My wife has a 2 x great-grandpa who was a teamster with the 11th KY Cavalry. His nephew, also in the 11th, (her 3 x 1st cousin), was captured here in east Tennessee and died at Andersonville. Welcome !

What would the role of "teamster" be? I noticed that on his muster report. Nowadays I associate that with a worker's union, was it the same back then?

What would the role of "teamster" be? I noticed that on his muster report. Nowadays I associate that with a worker's union, was it the same back then?
Welcome!
Just as modern-day 'teamsters' drive trucks, vans and delivery vehicles, before the automobile era 'teamsters' drove horse-, mule- or ox-drawn carts and wagons: vehicles pulled by 'teams' of animals.

Welcome!
Just as modern-day 'teamsters' drive trucks, vans and delivery vehicles, before the automobile era 'teamsters' drove horse-, mule- or ox-drawn carts and wagons: vehicles pulled by 'teams' of animals.

This fascinates me. I can start to get a better image now of what his life was like. If his original muster report listed his occupation as a farmer then a teamster, that would explain why he went with the Cavalry?!

This fascinates me. I can start to get a better image now of what his life was like. If his original muster report listed his occupation as a farmer then a teamster, that would explain why he went with the Cavalry?!
In many cases- but not all- it was common to recruit men who had a good familiarity with horses into the cavalry. We are all fairly familiar- thanks to Hollywood- with cavalry. But that picture seldom shows the support that a cavalry unit had. A teamster in a cavalry unit would probably be accompanying his unit driving a supply wagon- perhaps food, forage, harness, smithing tools, and horseshoes- whatever might be needed by man and beast during a deployment.

His record with the 10th Cavalry lists him as a Commissary Sergeant. I would think he drove a supply wagon.

Back