Impressions My first reenactment photo portraying the 12th US Infantry during the Gettysburg Campaign

privateflemming

Corporal
This was for the event Silent Machines hosted by the Liberty Rifles in Upperville, Virginia, on July 10-12 portraying the 12th US Infantry.

We marched several miles in 90+ degree Virginia heat and drilled for hours each day so I think I broke my gear in pretty well. It was a lot of fun. Any critiques welcome, but I know the shelter half over my should is untied - I didn’t notice when the pictures were taken and it was just after the last march so it probably got untied then but was still held in place pretty well by my canteen strap.

8D3912D1-68E9-434E-B2E0-185C42214769.jpeg

CED396A1-DC74-4120-AFF5-F3FB57CDAAB4.jpeg
644495B8-F5C8-4483-886E-30A46A493144.jpeg
59AA59A1-E03B-4ABB-9BCF-C1430749DD55.jpeg
0BCE4A0C-9C13-4868-899D-DDC5FE7506AE.jpeg

Nailed it. Don't worry about any critique; if you met the guidelines, you got it.

This seemed like a really good event. I decided to opt out due to the current situation, but it seems like it was just as solid as any event. A few differences here and there from other LR events I've done. Kind of kicking myself for not going.

You made the right decision in getting started in the authentic stuff. They side is growing by leaps and bounds. What other events are you considering?

Nailed it. Don't worry about any critique; if you met the guidelines, you got it.

This seemed like a really good event. I decided to opt out due to the current situation, but it seems like it was just as solid as any event. A few differences here and there from other LR events I've done. Kind of kicking myself for not going.

You made the right decision in getting started in the authentic stuff. They side is growing by leaps and bounds. What other events are you considering?

Rosecran’s retreat in September 2021 seems like a big event I want to go to but obviously it’s a long way off. Other than that I’m not really sure. I live all the way in California and flew out here so it’s a big deal when I go east although that’s where most are (though I carpooled to this with two others from California who told me about authentic stuff in Cali so I’ll probably try that too).

This also looks like an event I’d like to do in June next year portraying the 1st Minessota to scale on the original ground at Gettysburg:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...scribed&notif_id=1594777286323523&ref=m_notif

Last edited:
This was for the event Silent Machines hosted by the Liberty Rifles in Upperville, Virginia, on July 10-12 portraying the 12th US Infantry.

We marched several miles in 90+ degree Virginia heat and drilled for hours each day so I think I broke my gear in pretty well. It was a lot of fun. Any critiques welcome, but I know the shelter half over my should is untied - I didn’t notice when the pictures were taken and it was just after the last march so it probably got untied then but was still held in place pretty well by my canteen strap.

View attachment 366429
View attachment 366430View attachment 366431View attachment 366432View attachment 366433

Huzzah! That's the style!

Also one thing wrong with your impression, and wrong with a lot of impressions covering soldiers in the field. Your too clean!

I guess one weekend marching around and sleeping on the ground wasn’t enough! There is more dirt if you see it up close but I’m sure you’re right on average, though obviously soldiers were issued new uniforms every so often.

I guess one weekend marching around and sleeping on the ground wasn’t enough! There is more dirt if you see it up close but I’m sure you’re right on average, though obviously soldiers were issued new uniforms every so often.
You look good to me and I can see the stains on your uniform caused by actual actions. People generally try not to get dirty when they can, so rolling in mud is not realistic. I think you are doing the right thing.

Cause when soldiers were issued stuff, it came right out of the depots and warehouses covered in filth. Especially Confederates, right?

And here we again....

I have no clue whatsoever what the scenario for "Silent Machines" was, so I honestly don't know if the portrayal was of a new unit mustering and drilling, or a unit coming out of camp or whatever.

I said "too clean" because NO MATTER how clean the uniform was when issued, NO MATTER what side/army, the troops were going to be filthy. That tends to happen when your out in the element 24/7 marching over dusty roads, camping on the ground, wading across rivers, in every kind of weather.

Sorry if I seem a little ticked off, I'm just not in the mood for your attitude and smart mouth you tend to have every time I see you comment.

Oh don't worry about it, give it a dozen or so events and you'll look like a hardened veteran.

I've known some hard core campaigner types to spend a month or so handsewing a jacket and trousers for an event, just to take them out in the yard and bury their uniforms, or other drag 'em around in mud to look like they've march across a State or two and straight into a fight. That's dedication, but I know I wouldn't go that far! You'll get the same result after a few events without doing that.

And welcome to the hobby.

Back