My Early Days in Reenacting for Throwback Thurday

captaindrew

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Silver Patron
20180815_152329.jpg

A few pictures from my early days in reenacting. This is me in June of 1985. This was the first event I was allowed to carry a rifle at the age of 14. I had already been with the group for a couple years at this point serving as flag bearer and camp go for. This was at the Pine Creek Railroad, Allaire State Park in New Jersey. I grew up not far from here and my grandparents volunteered at the park. The event was an annual train raid back when the railroad ran steam locomotives. The local unit that hosted the event and my first company was a Confederate cavalry unit. So that's how i got started not only in reenacting but my love for history in general and my interest in steam locomotives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, youth!

How it must be a pleasure, to look back, remember each measured step, getting deeper and deeper into the hobby, always looking forward to the next event!

It's good you have such pictures of your memories, the pleasure of thinking back on those wonderful times.

And the stark realization over just how much money you have spent to indulge yourself in this form of madness that overtakes each and every one of us who love to reenact!

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I love the steam loco! The first time I rode on one, I could not beleive just how large they are. I’m glad you have pictures of yourself when you first started. As someone said to me not long ago, we need more young in the community.

Ah, youth!

How it must be a pleasure, to look back, remember each measured step, getting deeper and deeper into the hobby, always looking forward to the next event!

It's good you have such pictures of your memories, the pleasure of thinking back on those wonderful times.

And the stark realization over just how much money you have spent to indulge yourself in this form of madness that overtakes each and every one of us who love to reenact!

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
Thanks and very well put @unionblue I wish I had more pictures from back then, it was really a wonderful time. One nice thing though I love it now more than ever. I'm very lucky to be able to do it with some great folks and luckily have the time and funds to do it right. I was away from the hobby for a long period of time and wish I could get some of that time back.

I love the steam loco! The first time I rode on one, I could not beleive just how large they are. I’m glad you have pictures of yourself when you first started. As someone said to me not long ago, we need more young in the community.
Thanks Mrs. V, I have a thing for trains too. There's still some steam locos running in the Northeast so I try to visit one whenever I'm up that way. As far as the young guys I'm very encouraged. I fall in with a few different groups during the year and they each have some nice young guys who are as gung ho as I was back then (and still am) With all the info on the net these days I think the young guys now are much more informed than I was back then and really put care into their impressions. In no way do I think the hobby is dying, it may be changing but in some ways I think for the better.

Thanks for creating this thread @captaindrew - this does beautifully for Throwback Thursday! Don't hesitate to create future ones as well in case I forget, like I almost did today. I'll add one of my own early reenacting photos, this one from a photo shoot ca. 1978 with my friend Ed Owens when we were first putting together our Federal infantry impressions, although you might notice some Rebel "holdovers" like his tin drum canteen and my cotton rifle sling. (I'm the sergeant on the left in case you couldn't tell!) I'm carrying my very first long arm, an original 1865-dated Enfield that had been smoothbored to .62 caliber or thereabouts for service with one of Great Britain's allies.

Image (21).jpg

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos of reenactments, vacations, etc. please post them here as well!

Last edited:
Capt Drew, Allaire village was the event that I saw the elephant in 1997. We did that event for about 10 years and always did a great train robbery scenario and a battle in between. The event ended many years ago because of the state ending the event because Allaire is a state park and they did not want the liability. It has started up again the past few years and seems to be growing the past 3 years. I live 10 minutes from the park which is in Howell NJ, where did you live? Here is a pic from this year event with the some of the union camped beside the tracks next to the image1 (1).JPG train station

Capt Drew, Allaire village was the event that I saw the elephant in 1997. We did that event for about 10 years and always did a great train robbery scenario and a battle in between. The event ended many years ago because of the state ending the event because Allaire is a state park and they did not want the liability. It has started up again the past few years and seems to be growing the past 3 years. I live 10 minutes from the park which is in Howell NJ, where did you live? Here is a pic from this year event with the some of the union camped beside the tracks next to the View attachment 201008 train station
I grew up in Belmar, moved to Florida right out of high school to work in 89. I'm aware that they're doing an event again and glad it's growing. I was actually watching for the date to maybe possibly get there for it but the timing didn't work out this year. Hopefully I'll be able to do it soon. I stopped by there a couple years ago and was walking around the train shops. Would be nice if they'd get one of the steamers running again. What unit are you with there?

I am with the 19th Virginia. A confederate unit from NJ, imagine that. There is a steam engine that does run around the park. Probably the same one in you photo. I will get some pics next time I go to the park. My wife and I go to Belmar almost every weekend, we bring our bagels and coffee (no Pork Roll. only a real nj person would understand) and hang out by the dock along the shark river. Hope I brought back some good memories.

Thanks Mrs. V, I have a thing for trains too. There's still some steam locos running in the Northeast so I try to visit one whenever I'm up that way. As far as the young guys I'm very encouraged. I fall in with a few different groups during the year and they each have some nice young guys who are as gung ho as I was back then (and still am) With all the info on the net these days I think the young guys now are much more informed than I was back then and really put care into their impressions. In no way do I think the hobby is dying, it may be changing but in some ways I think for the better.
I saw quite a few young people at Hale Farm reenactment this weekend. One younger fellow on the Confederate side, simply marching and tagging along with the soldiers on the battlefield, as well as a group of young ladies acting as “water girls”. I do like that some things seem to be changing, it’s hard to get people engaged in history, and I really think the interactiveness is key.

Back