Grant (my copy of) Julia Dent Grant (biography) Goes Home to White Haven (US Grant NHS)

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
Capture39.JPG

This is one of those crazy stories that happens to other people :smile: I ordered the above book, The Personal Memoirs of Julia Dent Grant by John Y Simon for the embarrassingly low price of $1.50. When the book arrived, I realized that I had received much more than I bargained for: It was a signed First Edition dedicated to the author's Aunt. This book did not belong in my hovel, so I contacted Twitter buddy Nick Sacco, who happens to be a historian at the US Grant National Historic Site, and offered the book to them, and they happily accepted. It is my understanding that the US Grant NHS houses all or some of (author) John Y Simon's library, so Julia is on her way home to White Haven :smile:

Capture38.JPG
Capture40.JPG
Capture42.JPG

Wow, thats crazy, and you just sent it recently, yes? I only live an hour from there, i may go down and tell them I'm a close personal friend of the person who donated it and i would line to have a peek. Lol. Thats awesome, i have come to appreciate your love of and devotion to preserving history. As Jack Buck, the late great St. Louis Cardinals baseball announcer once said..."Pardon me while I stand up and applaud". If there is ever anything I can do for you on this end, since i am so close to Whitehaven, pictures or whatever, i would be most happy to try to help you with that.

Back