My Confederate flag collection

the french tricolor with stars circle was also adopted by the state of Louisiana as unofficial flag, maybe already in 1860, even if more famous unofficial banner is that with coloured stripes and a star on the top-left on red backgroung.
Correct, and was popularly viewed as an unofficial Louisiana state flag in 1861, could have been a Revenue Service ensign of a Revenue Cutter docked in New Orleans
louisiana1861unofficial.png

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
I can't say I've personally got much of a collection. Besides a few cheap Taylor BF's I got as payment for watching a store, (in hindsight instead of giving them away I could have sold them), only flag I can say I really have handy is a custom made replica of the 60th Alabama Infantry's flag surrendered at Appomattox in honor of my GG-Grandfather that served in that regiment.

20150625_194858.jpg

Now if I got a Hilliard's Legion flag made up, (same ancestor), I'd have the following flags to get to honor other ancestors:
34th Alabama Infantry, (previously mentioned GG-Grandfather's Uncle, captured at Nashville and shipped to Camp Chase.)
33rd Virginia Infantry (Another GG-Grandfather who's a mystery, but so far everything points to that regiment.)
7th Texas Mounted Rifles/Cavalry (GGG-Grandfather, I wish I even knew what they're flag looked like, a Sibley flag would be a good substitute.)
1st SC Rifles, Orr's (A 2nd cousin to my 60th Ala. ancestor that died in 1862 Richmond)

I got those I'd be able say I had a flag for every known CW ancestor in my tree! Excepting the four brothers of my 33rd VA grandfather, who are completely unknown that fought for the Union. They're names ain't even known, that branch was bitter over the war.

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
Also I don't care what anyone says, the Star & Bars/1st National is the prettiest flag in American history to me, (misnamed "Betsy Ross" flag is a close second, which I've got one of those). Plus 1st Nationals are the best Confederate ones in my mind.

I've been debating ordering some 10th TX Cavalry, and 37th Arkansas 1st Nationals from Ruffin for SCV color guard doings. I love 1st National CSA flags.

I can't say I've personally got much of a collection. Besides a few cheap Taylor BF's I got as payment for watching a store, (in hindsight instead of giving them away I could have sold them), only flag I can say I really have handy is a custom made replica of the 60th Alabama Infantry's flag surrendered at Appomattox in honor of my GG-Grandfather that served in that regiment.

View attachment 379424

Now if I got a Hilliard's Legion flag made up, (same ancestor), I'd have the following flags to get to honor other ancestors:
34th Alabama Infantry, (previously mentioned GG-Grandfather's Uncle, captured at Nashville and shipped to Camp Chase.)
33rd Virginia Infantry (Another GG-Grandfather who's a mystery, but so far everything points to that regiment.)
7th Texas Mounted Rifles/Cavalry (GGG-Grandfather, I wish I even knew what they're flag looked like, a Sibley flag would be a good substitute.)
1st SC Rifles, Orr's (A 2nd cousin to my 60th Ala. ancestor that died in 1862 Richmond)

I got those I'd be able say I had a flag for every known CW ancestor in my tree! Excepting the four brothers of my 33rd VA grandfather, who are completely unknown that fought for the Union. They're names ain't even known, that branch was bitter over the war.
What a gorgeous Stainless Banner!

Also I don't care what anyone says, the Star & Bars/1st National is the prettiest flag in American history to me, (misnamed "Betsy Ross" flag is a close second, which I've got one of those). Plus 1st Nationals are the best Confederate ones in my mind.

I've been debating ordering some 10th TX Cavalry, and 37th Arkansas 1st Nationals from Ruffin for SCV color guard doings. I love 1st National CSA flags.
Speaking of the 10th Texas Cavalry, here's my example

My10thTexasCav.jpg

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
What a gorgeous Stainless Banner!

The 60th was created after Chickamauga with the breaking up of Hilliard's Legion, (which had a flag that was a dead ringer for the Scottish protest flag folks use now with EU stars on it), and supposedly got the flag when transferred to Virginia. The original still exists, the last I heard kept locked away in the basement of a Chicago museum. How it got there is actually a very humorous story.

At Appomattox Courthouse the 60th Alabama was part of the final ANV attack before the surrender, and overran an artillery battery from Chicago, capturing their guns and so forth before the futility was realized. After the surrender supposedly, those Chicago artillerymen were able to take possession of the 60th's flag and took it back to Chicago where it was bragged they took it in battle for a long time before the record was set straight. Still there till this day.

Least that's what I've been told and read online, and have never confirmed it 100% as good information is hard to come by on such an obscure unit. The flag I have was custom made by a reenacting friend, who also had an ancestor an the 60th, (we reenacted for a few years together before realizing his ancestor was mine's commanding officer till he was killed in the Bermuda Hundred Campaign and that they knew each other), and he being a flag maker made this one up for me based on available data before he got to see the original, which was unmistakably a Richmond Depot product unlike the old stories, so its a little off.

Reactions: WJC

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant

View attachment 379424

I had the same distinct idea with the Arizona Brigade.

However, all thee battle flags that belonged to them are pretty much lost to history. The 2nd Texas-Arizona Cavalry was noted to have been using a square Richard Taylor-design flag with inverted colors as their cavalry Gideon. They would have looked almost pretty hard to tell among even Louisiana regiments in the Trans-Mississippi.

https://ruffinflagwholesale.com/collections/all/trans-mississippi
What's funny is I saw one of these flying at the Oak Alley Plantation years back once.