My Civil War: Re-enacting in the days of 9/11 (article)

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
I enjoyed this article as it presented a different perspective on the interest in reenacting:

upload_2017-5-29_18-16-50.png

upload_2017-5-29_18-18-22.png

Full Article here: http://www.salon.com/2017/05/28/my-civil-war-re-enacting-in-the-days-of-911/

Reading this was like reading a boy's initiation into manhood...then I tried to imagine the real thing, and what that must have been like. Many of them were just boys, soft and unprepared for what they were to see and experience. Imagine this scenario multiplied by the thousands in terms of intensity. How did they withstand it? I'm guessing with everything they had in their physical, mental and emotional arsenals...and then some.

Really enjoyed reading this Bee. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Bee
Bee, thank you for this, I too spent time with the "Core Group" during the filming and this article brought back fond memories of that time, in fact my avatar is a pic taken on set.

Well written article, I know of quite a few wayward young people, who took to reenacting and straightened themselves out. I think some of it is a type of mentorship that naturally comes with the hobby, the older participants teaching the newer "recruits" how to exist within the company Eco structure, from drill, firearms safety, cooking/clean up, to basic human behavior.

Picture with Robert Duvall as R. E. Lee during the filming of G&G
DUVALL.JPG

My reenacting experience was totally different, the article was ok, but not something I would ordinarily look at. That was his experience, and mine was different as day and night. hardcore authentics existed when I began and eventually if you were really into it, you gravitated towards them. A different journey and result. Everyone's is not alike, so we just have a different experience each and everyone.

Back