My Civil War ancestors

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
My Civil War ancestry is a cool thing to study, at least for me. None of them made it above corporal, and none of them are noted in the history books, but they fought for their country just the same as the famous generals, and more noted soldiers of the time. Every soldier, no matter how low of rank, no matter how much time of enlistment or no matter how many battles they fought in, made a difference, and left their mark, big or small, on the world during the Civil War.

My Civil War ancestors came from Schuylkill county Pennsylvania. Most of them were grandsons of Peter Trautman, a soldier in the revolutionary war.

William Trautman was my 3x great grandfather. He served in Company K, in the 172nd Pennsylvania infantry. The 172nd didn't stay in service long, mainly meandering around Virginia and Washington, and a short pursuit of Lee near Warrenton. Williams brother, Henry, was a musician. I am not sure what kind of musician because of poor records, and I am a cheapskate who won't pay for good records, so I am in the dark for a while on that one.

Martin Trautman joined the 26th Emergency PA when it was formed, but deserted just before Gettysburg. Way to go, Uncle Mart. He joined another regiment later that year, but died of disease the following year.

Elias Trautman joined the 26th Emergency PA, and was at Gettysburg. Elias made a short stand with a couple of other guys, firing one or two shots at the rebels before they were forced to retreat. His name is on the Pennsylvania memorial in Gettysburg.

Elias then joined the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry in early 1864. He was severely wounded at the battle of the wilderness when he jumped into a depression where a rebel happened to be hiding. He was shot point blank in the chest with a shotgun. He was not expected to live, but he did, and was transferred to the Veterans Reserve corps.

Emanuel Trautman enlisted in the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry in early 1864 with his brother Elias. He was shot in the arm, but he kept it, and served the rest of the war with the 50th.

Daniel Trautman is the story piece. He joined the 6th Pennsylvania infantry in 1861. When the regiment mustered out, he joined the 50th Pennsylvania just in time for the Peninsula Campaign. He fought in several major battles such as Antietam, Vicksburg, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and Appomattox. He made it to corporal until 1864 when he reenlisted as a private. Daniel survived the war, but was murdered in 1880 in his garden by thieves which sparked a massive manhunt, and two hangings.

Daniel, Elias, and Emanuel are my 3x great uncles.

I have another uncle who served, but I can't find any record of him in any Pennsylvania unit. Isaias or Josiah Trautman. He went by both apparently.

My Civil War ancestry is a cool thing to study, at least for me. None of them made it above corporal, and none of them are noted in the history books, but they fought for their country just the same as the famous generals, and more noted soldiers of the time. Every soldier, no matter how low of rank, no matter how much time of enlistment or no matter how many battles they fought in, made a difference, and left their mark, big or small, on the world during the Civil War.

My Civil War ancestors came from Schuylkill county Pennsylvania. Most of them were grandsons of Peter Trautman, a soldier in the revolutionary war.

William Trautman was my 3x great grandfather. He served in Company K, in the 172nd Pennsylvania infantry. The 172nd didn't stay in service long, mainly meandering around Virginia and Washington, and a short pursuit of Lee near Warrenton. Williams brother, Henry, was a musician. I am not sure what kind of musician because of poor records, and I am a cheapskate who won't pay for good records, so I am in the dark for a while on that one.

Martin Trautman joined the 26th Emergency PA when it was formed, but deserted just before Gettysburg. Way to go, Uncle Mart. He joined another regiment later that year, but died of disease the following year.

Elias Trautman joined the 26th Emergency PA, and was at Gettysburg. Elias made a short stand with a couple of other guys, firing one or two shots at the rebels before they were forced to retreat. His name is on the Pennsylvania memorial in Gettysburg.

Elias then joined the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry in early 1864. He was severely wounded at the battle of the wilderness when he jumped into a depression where a rebel happened to be hiding. He was shot point blank in the chest with a shotgun. He was not expected to live, but he did, and was transferred to the Veterans Reserve corps.

Emanuel Trautman enlisted in the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry in early 1864 with his brother Elias. He was shot in the arm, but he kept it, and served the rest of the war with the 50th.

Daniel Trautman is the story piece. He joined the 6th Pennsylvania infantry in 1861. When the regiment mustered out, he joined the 50th Pennsylvania just in time for the Peninsula Campaign. He fought in several major battles such as Antietam, Vicksburg, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and Appomattox. He made it to corporal until 1864 when he reenlisted as a private. Daniel survived the war, but was murdered in 1880 in his garden by thieves which sparked a massive manhunt, and two hangings.

Daniel, Elias, and Emanuel are my 3x great uncles. he joined the 50th Pennsylvania just in time for the Peninsula Campaign. He fought in several major battles such as Antietam, Vicksburg, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and Appomattox.

I have another uncle who served, but I can't find any record of him in any Pennsylvania unit. Isaias or Josiah Trautman. He went by both apparently.

I found the name spelled Troutman

I located a Israel Trautman in the 167th PA. This was a 9-month regiment. He enlisted and mustered in 11/12/1862 into Company F. Mustered out, 8/12/1863 in Reading, PA. Residence given as Burks County.

You've done some great research!

Report of Capt. George W. Brumm, Fiftieth
Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations September 30--October 8.

HDQRS. FIFTIETH PENNSYLVANIA VETERAN VOLUNTEERS,
Near Pegram's House, Va., October 17, 1864.
SIR: I have the honor to report that the Fiftieth Regiment, in compliance
with orders received, marched from the Yellow House, Va., on the
morning of the 30th ultimo, to the Peebles house, Va., where it formed
the first line of battle with the First Michigan Sharpshooters on the
right, Twenty-fourth New York Cavalry on the left, then marched by
the right flank near to the Pegram house, where ordered to throw out
skirmishers. The line advanced to the crest of a hill beyond the Pegram
house, where the regiment first opened fire upon the enemy, who were
rapidly advancing in front and right flank, driving before them the
troops of the division on the right, who rushed through our line, causing
great confusion. At the same time, seeing the Twenty-fourth New York
Cavalry retiring on my left, I ordered the regiment to withdraw, which
was accomplished in good order, and again formed line behind a fence
at the Pegram house, Va. The troops on the right again breaking and
rushing through our lines, causing it also to break; being mixed up with
them, it was impossible to rally until falling back about half a mile;
again formed line, where we remained until about 12 . Received orders
to move off to the rear of the Peebles house, Va., where the regiment
then threw up works. On the morning of the 1st marched near to the
Peebles house and threw up works. On the 2d instant advanced near
the Peebles house, and again threw up works and encamped. Casualties:
Two killed, 6 wounded, and 11 missing.+

On the 9th [8th] instant, receiving light marching orders, the regiment
moved off with the brigade on a reconnaissance to the Hawks house,
having detached two companies to throw up lunette for a section of
artillery in the field beyond our line of pickets, the remainder of the
regiment moving to the Hawks house as a reserve of the skirmishers
until the troops were withdrawn and returned to camp. I beg leave to
say that the regiment behaved splendidly, there being but two officers
present, the rest having been mustered out on the morning of the 30th.

Your most obedient servant

GEO. W. BRUMM,
Capt., Cmdg. Regt.

Lieut. Col. B. M. CUTCHEON,
Cmdg. Second Brigade, First Division, Ninth Army Corps.

Source: Official Records
PAGE 573-87 OPERATIONS IN SE. VA. AND N. C. [CHAP. LIV.
[Series I. Vol. 42. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 87.]

****************************************************************************************

Report of Maj. Samuel K. Schwenk, Fiftieth
Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations March 25.

HDQRS. FIFTIETH PENNSYLVANIA VET. VOL. INFANTRY,
March 29, 1865.
MAJ.: Pursuant to instructions to forward a report of the operations
of this regiment in the action of Saturday, the 25th instant, I have
the honor to report that I received orders at 4.30 a.m. to send all the
men with arms, except the pickets, to brigade headquarters, and
immediately sent ninety men, the whole number in camp with arms, in
charge of Capt. Charles E. Brown, Company C, and First Lieut.
Wilbur H. Wilcox, Company D, who reported at Second Brigade
headquarters at 4.50 a.m. and were assigned a position in an old fort
beyond brigade headquarters and soon afterward occupied old rifle-pits,
constructed about 400 yards southeast of Fort McGilvery and running
at right angles with the main line, where they at once commenced firing
upon the flank of the enemy's advancing line and kept up a brisk fire
until the enemy was repulsed and our entire line reoccupied.

The casualties were two men very slightly wounded, and Capt. Brown
reports that all the men behaved very well and fired with great accuracy
and effect.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

SAML. K. SCHWENK,
Maj., Cmdg. Regt.

Bvt. Maj. C. A. LOUNSBERRY,
Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 1st Div., 9th Army Corps.

Source: Official Records
CHAP. LVIII.] THE RICHMOND CAMPAIGN. PAGE 330-95
[Series I. Vol. 46. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 95.]

Jacob Trautman, also served in the 167th. He is an uncle to me. He was 70 years old when he enlisted! Born in 1792, he died in 1900. So now my whole six Civil War veterans in my family thing just went out the window.

Jacob Trautman, also served in the 167th. He is an uncle to me. He was 70 years old when he enlisted! Born in 1792, he died in 1900. So now my whole six Civil War veterans in my family thing just went out the window.
The Jacob Troutman in the 167th PA died in 1897 according to his find a grave page and a widow's pension application. He was born in 1826. He is buried in Berks County Pennsylvania, so likely a relative to Israel, especially considering same company and regiment.

He looks to be the son of a Johan Jacob Troutman, 1791 - 1862 who might be who you're thinking of? Perhaps you're mixing Johan's birthdate and Jacob's death date (close enough to 1900) and considering Johan's middle name it's easy to see how things can get mixed up, especially in oral history and etc.

I am going off of research done by my cousin. She has a "book" written up about our family. I've noticed some errors, but the Jacob Trautman listed was born in 1792, and died in 1900. He lived in Berks county at the time, and I can't tell if Israel was his son, or grandson. The dates are fuzzy. What I need to do is hire a genealogist, and stop putting two and two together. :smile:

I must say, I am very impressed with the helpfulness. Y'all have helped me find someone in one day, that I've been searching for a year now. And y'all helped me disprove a theory before it got to my head, ha ha!

I tried colorizing photos of the 50th PA last night.

colorized-image (1).jpg
colorized-image (2).jpg
colorized-image (3).jpg
colorized-image (9).jpg
colorized-image (10).jpg
colorized-image (11).jpg

I don't have photoshop.
Gimp is a decent enough substitute for Photoshop and it's free. Not to derail off topic very far, but this is something I was messing around 2 years ago but didn't finish with gimp since I found an already colored version of the image afterwards and sort of gave up.
TestingCCW.png

This subforum is where you can find altered photos mostly colorized and/or cleaned up from various users. As for using Gimp there's tons of videos on youtube for learning.

Last edited:
Back