My Ancestors Hospital Admission Question?

Alabaman

Cadet
My ancestor was admitted to Gilmer Hospital, Forsyth, Georgia on 25 July, 1864. My ancestor died 2 August, 1864. I found his official Hospital info at the U. of Texas @ Austin in the extensive file of Dr. Stout, Director of hospitals for the Western Division, Army of Tennssee. The info I found said: admitted to Gilmer 25th July...gunshot wound. A Morning Report by Dr. Michel, Surgeon-in-charge Gilmer Hospital lists my ancestor as "died" 2 August, 1864.

My Question: Do you think (chances are) my ancestor was wounded on 25 July, 1864 & was admitted to Gilmer Hospital on 25 July...OR...was wounded during the Battle of Atlanta on 22 July, 1864 & it took 3 days before he was admitted to Gilmer (convalescent) Hospital in Forsyth, Georgia which then was 90 miles away via railroad?
I read from Official Record that a truce was declared on noon of the 23rd July, 64 & the wounded were recovered from the battlefield. My ancestors Regiment, 45th Ala. Infantry participated in Cleburne's attack in 22 July @ Bald Hill (Battle of Atlanta.) Would you think he was wounded in the battle of Atlanta 22 July or during skirmishing on the 25th July?? I can't find records online about the numerous Field Hospitals in Atlanta to check on his being admitted there first.
Hope all this makes sense. Any ideas?? I would really like to know and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks, Alabaman (Rob Adams)

Rob, good question. My Whit Parker followed much the same scenario as a comparison to your ancestor. Much would have depended on how secure the battlefield was at the time he was removed and obviously the strength and efficiency of the regiment for moving wounded. Since he was shot he may also have received priority, though rank would have probably been a factor in the order of removal from the field. Unless the battle was "pre-arranged" and staged, (few were?) then the train may not have been immediately available, though by some fortune the Confederates apparently still at that time controlled the railroads east of Atlanta. 90 miles by train, depending on how many men were loaded, were personnel in place, etc. probably took most of a day. Nightfall may have been a factor. No generators for light?? Lots to think about. While I don't have the particulars from the records, Whit was 'reported' two days after the time he was wounded. How long had he been there before the report was issued. I'll probably never know. Also in Whit's case no report has been found of his release day or exact condition. It's interesting these two men were so close together having grown up probably 500 miles apart. Notice the dates in the following:

His 1909 pension application states he was “struck by a piece of shell in the siege of Atlanta on 9 Aug 1864”, “wounded in both legs, the wounds still visible and at times sore (in 1909)”. He was “partially disabled in my legs on account of varicose veins and occasional swelling of the wounds.” The 63rd regiment was commanded by Col. Lynch and was under the direction of General John B. Hood. Whitfield was reported sick at Ocmulgee Hospital on 11 August 1864 with “V.C. shell wound on posterior of both legs”.

It could easily take days to get admitted to a hospital. My GGGrandfather was wounded on June 3rd, he was admitted on June 8th and operated on June 23rd.

aggie80 said:
It could easily take days to get admitted to a hospital. My GGGrandfather was wounded on June 3rd, he was admitted on June 8th and operated on June 23rd.

At Cold harbor and many of the other battlefields were the lines actually didnt change that much. The wounded laid out on the field for days. How many of the dead there could have been saved if they actually where moved to the rear the same day instead of laying out in the heat while their lifs blood drained away? God only knows.

At gettysburg on July 2nd late in the afternoon the confederates attacked Cemetery ridge I have always woundered how many of the dead and wounded where still out there when Pickett and petigrew made their charge.

Just my thoughts here but i would think there where two kinds of hospitals back then the field hospital (first responder / M*A*S*H* unit) and then a big hospital where the wounded where sent to recover.

The big hospitals got named while the field hospials where always on the move with the army.

steven

This is from the pension application of James Patterson Cockerham farrier of the 10th TN US Cavalry, one of the more fortunate:

We were about to remove from Tullahoma to Pulaski, Tennessee. (I meant to say that the injury was received at Tullahoma, and not at Pulaski) We went to Pulaski directly after the injury, and I was then sent to hospital, at said place, Pulaski, and remained there until about the next September.

I was shoeing the horse of John Panter, but he was not present, and I don't know that he knew of the injury. John Q.A. Bryant was Captain in command of the Company, and came to me soon after I was injured. The Ordinance sergeant was Gideon Smoot. He was not present where I was shoeing the horse, and I suppose did not know of the injury. Though it looks as though he ought to know that I was sent to the hospital.

QUESTION: What treatment did you receive in hospital?

ANSWER: Well, a very good treatment. The doctors gave me a little medicine along, came to see me almost every day.

QUESTION: Describe just what injuries you received?

ANSWER: Well, I got hurt right here in my side. I think that two of my ribs were broken. And then I got hurt in my shoulder. I don't hardly know what injury I received to my shoulder, it seemed as though something was busted, and my arm has always been weak, since that is my left arm.

Back