My Ancestor's Confederate Money

J. D. Stevens

Sergeant
My great grandfather was a private in Likens' 35th Texas Cavalry. He served on the Texas Gulf Coast during the bitter winter of 1863-64. In March the regiment was sent to Louisiana and served during the Red River Campaign. They remained in Louisiana operating in the upper Atchafalaya River region until February 1865. The regiment was sent back to Texas, dismounted, and sent to the defenses at Galveston until the final days of the Trans-Mississippi played out in late May 1865.

For whatever reason this veteran kept the worthless Confederate money he brought home and it has been handed down to me. The money was frayed, worn and dirty, but it was money carried in the pocket of a known soldier while serving during the war or at least at the end. There were 22 bills with a face value of $92.75. One bill of each type and denomination have been framed with acid free matting and museum grade glass for display. Bills without markings on the back were mounted in frames for wall mount. Bills with a design on both sides have been installed in a stand so both sides can be viewed.

$5 Texas Treasury Warrant and a $0.75 Hopkins County, Texas Treasury Warrant
002 Tx & Hopkins Co_Edit.jpg

CSA $1 and $2 bills
006 CSA 1 & 2 Dollar Bills_Edit.jpg

State of Louisiana $5 and $20 bills
010 Louisiana 5 & 20 Dollar Bills_Edit.jpg

CSA $10 bill
019 CSA 10 Dollar Bill.JPG

Back side of a CSA $10 bill
020 CSA 10 Dollar Bill.JPG

Excuse the quality of pictures. The glare off the glass made it difficult to get the perfect shot.

That is a very cool story! I have my gg-grandfather’s wallet. I don’t know if he carried it during the war but certainly shortly after because his voter registration certificate for Orleans Parish, 1868, was in it. There was also a $1 gold coin, 1856 date IIRC in there too. He was a captain in the 31st La. Inf.

VERY NICE hand me downs.

My great grandfather was a private in Likens' 35th Texas Cavalry. He served on the Texas Gulf Coast during the bitter winter of 1863-64. In March the regiment was sent to Louisiana and served during the Red River Campaign. They remained in Louisiana operating in the upper Atchafalaya River region until February 1865. The regiment was sent back to Texas, dismounted, and sent to the defenses at Galveston until the final days of the Trans-Mississippi played out in late May 1865.

For whatever reason this veteran kept the worthless Confederate money he brought home and it has been handed down to me. The money was frayed, worn and dirty, but it was money carried in the pocket of a known soldier while serving during the war or at least at the end. There were 22 bills with a face value of $92.75. One bill of each type and denomination have been framed with acid free matting and museum grade glass for display. Bills without markings on the back were mounted in frames for wall mount. Bills with a design on both sides have been installed in a stand so both sides can be viewed.

View attachment 181490

CSA $1 and $2 bills
View attachment 181491

View attachment 181492

CSA $10 bill
View attachment 181493

View attachment 181494

Excuse the quality of pictures. The glare off the glass made it difficult to get the perfect shot.

Great post ! Congratulations !

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-dodsons-of-texas.131940/#post-1486540

Very nice. The story of how you came to reaquire those bills is a treasure too. I like what you have done with them.

Cool. I have consudered purchasing a CS bill.

BTW, why does the Confederate $10 have a plaque printed on it saying:
For the Conferate States and the United States?

View attachment 181490

CSA $1 and $2 bills
View attachment 181491

View attachment 181492

CSA $10 bill
View attachment 181493

View attachment 181494

Great family heirloom! Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 181490

CSA $1 and $2 bills
View attachment 181491

View attachment 181492

CSA $10 bill
View attachment 181493

View attachment 181494

Very cool. Thanks!

View attachment 181490

CSA $1 and $2 bills
View attachment 181491

View attachment 181492

CSA $10 bill
View attachment 181493

View attachment 181494

Outstanding story how lucky you are to have these Confederate notes. I am happy for you. My long passed sainted family historian Aunt gave me Confederate notes that were in the family in both Carolinas when I was a tyke and I did my very best to care for them but lost them when my home was burgled. I have been tempted to buy Confederate Notes from time to time but that money was mine and my ancestors handled it during the CW. Please take care and keep your inherited treasure safe. Great post!

Back