My 3rd great grandfather

KyOrphan61

Private
29421892_135312418748.jpg

My third great grandfather George Washington Caine. Carter's batter King William Light Artillery and here is a page of research i have done on him and his unit for anyone interested. http://trees.ancestry.com/view/Mili...vid=f6f7b62a-aac1-4306-b66a-ef881edd7cb6&pv=1

Ditto what DixieRifles said.

I live about 40 minutes from Hampton, VA (depending upon the traffic at the Hampton Roads or Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnels). If you need any help checking out any of the sites in Hampton or along the Peninsula up to Richmond, let me know and I might be able to work a visit or two into my schedule. (Any excuse to see the local Civil War sites.)

Ditto what DixieRifles said.

I live about 40 minutes from Hampton, VA (depending upon the traffic at the Hampton Roads or Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnels). If you need any help checking out any of the sites in Hampton or along the Peninsula up to Richmond, let me know and I might be able to work a visit or two into my schedule. (Any excuse to see the local Civil War sites.)

If you get the chance i'd love to get some good photos of the heavy artillery pieces at fort monroe both in the casemate museum and on the parade ground as well as the tracks for the columbiad mounts on top of the casemate and the Jeff Davis prison cell. Its bad as many times as i wet there in years past i have no photos of this stuff. I believe the museum is still open even though the fort closed and i know the two Rodmans on the parade ground are still there. And if you get the chance some pics of the Rodman gun on victoria blvd in hampton near the marina would be great. For some reason the large coast guns have always fascinated me.

If you get the chance i'd love to get some good photos of the heavy artillery pieces at fort monroe both in the casemate museum and on the parade ground as well as the tracks for the columbiad mounts on top of the casemate and the Jeff Davis prison cell. Its bad as many times as i wet there in years past i have no photos of this stuff. I believe the museum is still open even though the fort closed and i know the two Rodmans on the parade ground are still there. And if you get the chance some pics of the Rodman gun on victoria blvd in hampton near the marina would be great. For some reason the large coast guns have always fascinated me.

I've been to Fort Monroe a couple of times in the past few years. The Army turned over the historic fort section to the National Park Service, and the Casemate Museum is still open. The Lincoln gun (15" Rodman) is indeed impressive. Here's a period photo of the gun mounted en barbette. When I get back to Fort Monroe I'll try to get some good pics for you.

Back