Musket Question

Sapper44

Cadet
I know the Confederates picked up and used/issued captured Union weapons, but did it ever go the other way? Did union troops ever pick up Confederate muskets and use them? Specifically the 3 band Richmond, if I galvanize do I really need a new rifle?
Thanks;
Christian

Yes they did, particularly with the Enfield. The Richmond was relatively scarce in comparison. Only 30k or so from 1861-1865 Most of the Richmond’s went to the ANV.

I know the Confederates picked up and used/issued captured Union weapons, but did it ever go the other way? Did union troops ever pick up Confederate muskets and use them? Specifically the 3 band Richmond, if I galvanize do I really need a new rifle?
Thanks;
Christian
I assume your main impression is CS. How often do you have to galvanize? If it's only occasionally I highly doubt anyone will care if you're using a Richmond wearing blue. Our unit has to galvanize sometimes and not all of our members have a complete Union kit, shoot some of the young guys are still working on their CS kit. Usually the folks running the show are greatly appreciative that we're willing to jump sides for the good of the show even though some of us aren't quite the perfect Yankees. Now if a Federal impression is a big part of what your unit does maybe another rifle down the road isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Back