Musket Powder Flask by Union Troops

J

Jim B.

Hi. Just visiting here. I have a couple of replica .58 Muskets (1861 Springfield and 1863 Remington). I have the belts/cartridge box/cap pouch/bayonet and scabbard for the Springfield, and I have a "Peace Flask" for the Remington. My question is: Was this flask authorized for Union Infantry use, and if so, how was it carried?

I admire what you folks do. My Great Great Grandfather was a GAR Veteran 1861-1865. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Jim
I'm not an expert, but I've shot muskets for over 25 years as a reenactor and in competition. I don't ever recall an instance where the flasks were carried by the infantry. The minie balls were wrapped in a paper cartridge filled with 60 grains of powder. the soldier bit off the end of the cartridge ( thus the need for a couple of good front teeth, LOL) and poured the powder down the barrel. And the infantry manuals of the time also instructed the soldier in this manner. I would think a flask would be more time consuming and less efficient. Not to mention more dangerous.

Back