Musician's Sword made by Emerson and Silver - am I missing something?

Wraith_3

Private
This is from my dad's collection and I know he paid $400 back in 2007. It's made by Emerson and Silver. The prices I'm seeing on ebay's sold auctions, mainly for Ames manufactured versions are around $200. Is this one more rare, did he pay too much, or did the price just go down that much? Here's a few pictures.

DSC02762.JPG

DSC02764.JPG

DSC02765.JPG

bayonet

Corporal
Do the ones on E-bay have scabbards like yours? Are they original scabbards? As for my self I avoid leather scabbards, to brittle and to much maintenance. I would say yours is worth more than $200 but not much more than $400 from what I've seen for sale. Some prices seem to be dropping on items, this generation really not into collecting ACW stuff. Some Dealers don't get it and prices are still high. I remember when Ken Burns came out with that CW Program prices sky rocketed.

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I think he paid a little to much but you have to remember that in 2008 the stock market crashed and when folks don't have money they can't buy collectable items. The market for yankee items has not come back as it was but CS items still hold their value and over the last 5 to 6 years has even gone up due to the fact that when you tell folks they are going to take something away from you they tend to buy up as much as they can.

A reputable civil war dealer tried to lowball me when I sold it
I can tell in a few EZ steps how to get retail for your items.

Step 1: Book a few tables at a CW show and 2 nights hotel.
Step 2: Load everything up in your truck and fill with fuel. Plus food expense.
Step 3: Drive to the show and setup everything and then spend 2 1/2 days standing on your feet putting up with goobers and morons asking if you will take less.
Step 4: Pack everything up on Sunday and hope you sold enough to cover your expenses and made a little money for yourself.
Step 5: Repeat, Repeat, Repeat :cold:

Glen_C

Corporal
I think he paid a little to much but you have to remember that in 2008 the stock market crashed and when folks don't have money they can't buy collectable items. The market for yankee items has not come back as it was but CS items still hold their value and over the last 5 to 6 years has even gone up due to the fact that when you tell folks they are going to take something away from you they tend to buy up as much as they can.

Step 3: Drive to the show and setup everything and then spend 2 1/2 days standing on your feet putting up with goobers and morons asking if you will take less.
Step 4: Pack everything up on Sunday and hope you sold enough to cover your expenses and made a little money for yourself.
Been there, done that
IMG_0464.JPG
10922782_876289399092496_7843665716644949865_n (1).jpg

I have a post war musician sword with a steel scabbard and I believe other imports of the day were steel.

1021sw1.jpg
1021sw6.jpg

Cheers
GC

bayonet

Corporal

No thanks I think if I sell an item I'll let the Dealer take 20-25% off (30% is a bit much) because I guess like you he has to make money too. I spent half my career (last half) dealing with Morons so no more of that for me. Although I must say I more than doubled my money on a few items, but either broke even on some and yes loss a little on others.

This is from my dad's collection and I know he paid $400 back in 2007. It's made by Emerson and Silver. The prices I'm seeing on ebay's sold auctions, mainly for Ames manufactured versions are around $200. Is this one more rare, did he pay too much, or did the price just go down that much? Here's a few pictures.

View attachment 413064
View attachment 413065
View attachment 413066
Any chance it was this was Id'd or have any history to this sword at the time of purchase ? What I have seen usually is in the $250.00 range for musicians swords . Supply and demand is in effect here. I would say the demand for this would be the sword collector where as a sword like the cavalry sword appeals to the Civil War collector. This looks to be in a really nice condition. Unless you are trying to sell it I would just hang it on the wall and enjoy it JMHO , Greg

Wraith_3

Private
Thanks. I would actually keep all the bladed weapons and guns, but my mom needs the money to replace appliances. I know these are on the lesser end because most people want officer's sword or cavalry stuff. I just wanted to make sure because while I'm pretty knowledgeable on the guns, I only have a general knowledge of the swords. I know a musician sword vs. a cavalry vs. nco, etc., but not specifics. I know certain manufacturers are sometimes worth more so I wanted to be sure before I try to sell it.

I'm going for things he has documented pretty well first because he had notes and then for most things he had printouts of the original ebay page when he got it. Oh and this one was shorter and I already have a box it will fit in, without having to make one lol. He has many cavalry, officer, nco, etc. swords as well.

bayonet

Corporal
Need Appliances sell the Officer Swords they get more money for some reason. After all it was the Enlisted Men as in us NCOs and Privates that did the fighting! Ok there were some Officers up front, the good ones! If an Officers Sword is in great shape then no doubt he was in the Rear with the Gear, the REMF! Boring :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :smile coffee:

RobertH

Private
Do the ones on E-bay have scabbards like yours? Are they original scabbards? As for my self I avoid leather scabbards, to brittle and to much maintenance. I would say yours is worth more than $200 but not much more than $400 from what I've seen for sale. Some prices seem to be dropping on items, this generation really not into collecting ACW stuff. Some Dealers don't get it and prices are still high. I remember when Ken Burns came out with that CW Program prices sky rocketed.

Exactly, It's the Baby Boomer Effect. Thousands of Boomers are selling off the their big and small collections. And the 30 to 50 y.o.'s just aren't interested. So you have a collectibles market that is becoming saturated. I saw my Mother start collecting ACW items in the early 1960's. The 1960's? - The 100 year anniversary of the ACW. And as Boomers started growing up, we became nostalgic and collected the same things. Myself included. I'm always scouring everything for items to buy, but it gets really frustrating when everybody thinks their CW piece is worth 4 times what it really is worth. I often explain the Baby Boomer effect and have actually won a few people over, resulting in a more realistic price.

Even many appraisers haven't got the memo. Prices are headed down and will continue downwards for quite awhile.

There's good news though. 2060 is right around the corner.

Wraith_3

Private
Yeah that's why my dad was going to start thinning his collection. He just thought younger people weren't interested in history (some of the shows that walked around and asked history questions to people in public seems to point to that...). I was a huge history nerd so like I said I would have kept some of his swords and guns if I could have. Well I could if I insisted, but she needs the money more.

Hey while I have people still looking at this... I noticed in my dad's notes that he has "Peterson #120" or "Peterson #44" after his description of the sword/bayonet. Does anyone recognize that; is it a well known reference or could it just be a book he has that he was referencing? I quickly skimmed the authors of his sword books and didn't see that name, so I don't know.

Sundance

Private
I'm sure he was referring to Peterson's book, "The American Sword". It was originally the American sword collectors Bible. Peterson's book has numbered the swords and that is surely what your dad was referring to. Look around - the book is probably amongst your dad's belongings.

Yeah that's why my dad was going to start thinning his collection. He just thought younger people weren't interested in history (some of the shows that walked around and asked history questions to people in public seems to point to that...). I was a huge history nerd so like I said I would have kept some of his swords and guns if I could have. Well I could if I insisted, but she needs the money more.

Hey while I have people still looking at this... I noticed in my dad's notes that he has "Peterson #120" or "Peterson #44" after his description of the sword/bayonet. Does anyone recognize that; is it a well known reference or could it just be a book he has that he was referencing? I quickly skimmed the authors of his sword books and didn't see that name, so I don't know.
I have the book.

20210907_220656.jpg

20210907_220638.jpg

20210907_220458.jpg

20210907_220441.jpg

20210907_220404.jpg

20210907_220656.jpg

bayonet

Corporal

Yup and those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it (as the saying goes). Guess we got a hard lesson in that just recently!

bayonet

Corporal
Exactly, It's the Baby Boomer Effect. Thousands of Boomers are selling off the their big and small collections. And the 30 to 50 y.o.'s just aren't interested. So you have a collectibles market that is becoming saturated. I saw my Mother start collecting ACW items in the early 1960's. The 1960's? - The 100 year anniversary of the ACW. And as Boomers started growing up, we became nostalgic and collected the same things. Myself included. I'm always scouring everything for items to buy, but it gets really frustrating when everybody thinks their CW piece is worth 4 times what it really is worth. I often explain the Baby Boomer effect and have actually won a few people over, resulting in a more realistic price.

Even many appraisers haven't got the memo. Prices are headed down and will continue downwards for quite awhile.

There's good news though. 2060 is right around the corner.
Your Mother collected ACW items???!!! That got you into it! You had one very Cool Mom! :thumbsup:

Although a musician sword is not on my bucket list I would make you an offer for it and if you could sell it for more that would be great. If this is not a proper thing to do on this forum please let me know . Thx Greg