Music Yesterday, today, and what is what.

During the American Revolution there was a song we colonist embraced which the Brits sang as well to make fun of us. A Dandy is someone who puts on airs and is a show off, and a Doodle was someone who .... didn't have a full load in the head... so we stuck a feather in our cap and call it what? During the surrender we didn't and the French didn't have their band at Yorktown so the British Band was furnished and played a song, "The World Turned Upside Down." as the English Army surrendered. It was a pop tune of the day.

We gave Mexico a racist term for us by singing drunk on the streets of Mexico City a popular tune call "Green Grows the Lilacs all sparkling with dew." When sung by said drunk soldiers it came out Gringo th' Lilacs allll sparking with deeww. And we'll forevermore will be Gringo's.

During out spat with Spain there was something about Remembering the Maine. In WWI Irving Berlin wrote a tune but put it aside because it was not right for the time he thought. But "how you gonna keep them down on the farm after they see par reee." We were going over there, yes the yanks are coming over there, and we wouldn't be back til it was over, over there". During the 20's we had rags and Charleston which showed the flapper and others we were having a gay old time. But then came the down fall and the song "Hey buddy can you lend me a dime." and as time passed and the worse was over, hope with "We in the money." was out and sung.

Then came WWII and things didn't look so good, and Berlin picked up that song he had put away, handed it to Kate Smith who on a dark day in WWII news, on a Sunday afternoon radio program sang, "God Bless America, Land that I love." We went on and sang that we wouldn't set under the apple tree until I came marching home." or American on Patrol. And others lifted our spirits and put us to work to the Guadalcanal March. As song full of lonely hearts saying "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places and when the night is through, I'll be looking at the moon but I'll be seeing you". As men went off again to war in Korea

In 1962 the Shrillels sang "Soldier Boy" I'll be true to you" and in 65 Berry Sadler ask his mate to put "silver wings on my sons chest, make him one of America's best, 100 men they will test today but only two will wear the Green Bret." But by 1968 the mood had changed in the country and it was "1, 2, 3, what are we fighting for don't ask me, I don't give a ****, next stop is Vietnam." and "War good god ya'll what is it good for? nothing! Say it again,WAR!" And Sonny and Cher was singing "And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on".

Our little war, haven't forgotten it. We sang when Johnny comes marching home and the Yank about burning and looting though Georgia. BUT there was no real song about ending slavery other than the one small line in Battle Hymn of the Republic, all the rest was fight and war and hopes. Even Battle Cry of Freedom was sung by both sides to their own words. Nothing, really nothing about slavery and ending it. One song the north had and has been called an Abolitionist song, Kingdom Coming makes fun of the Blacks. "Say there darkie have you seen your master with the muff stash on his face.....It must be now to Kingdom Coming in the year of Jubillo." Black slang for jubilation. With Yankee saviors like that, who needs enemies? Just saying the music says a great deal.

Well actually, there was "Get off the Track" - an abolitionist song by the Hutchinsons. A long one and not easy verses to sing. But it was well known, as was that family of singers of course.

Ho! the Car Emancipation,
Rides majestic thro' our nation,
Bearing on its Train, the story,
Liberty, A Nation's Glory.
Roll it along, Roll it along, Roll it along,
thro's the Nation Freedom's Car, Emancipation,
Roll it along, Roll it along,
Roll it along, thro' the Nation,
Freedom's Car. Emancipation.

etc. ... http://www.protestsonglyrics.net/Freedom_Songs/Get-Off-The-Track.phtml

Back