Museum Of Confederacy / WHite House of Confederacy

HardeeBoy

Private
Hello all,

Decided to go into town and tour the White House of Confederacy and the Museum of Confederacy. I went for the first time last month but didn't have as much time as I'd like, so I returned by myself today to tour the house itself. Overall worthwhile to check out if you've never been or are a CW enthusiast.

No pictures in the White House allowed but a surprisingly interesting tour. Not much war history but a good insight into Davis's and family's life at the time. Tragic stuff surrounding all his children though. Sheesh!!

Certianly a Confederate Bias in the museum which is understandable. Vexillology fans (like myself) will have much to explore, a lot of cool Confederate flags. Allegedly they many more they rotate thru. Weapons, uniforms, etc.,. To be fair, the museum needs to pick up their slack on the subject of slavery and the role of African Americans in the war....I'm born and raised in VA so I'm all for this Museum's continued existence but it's high time they dug deeper and talked about that elephant in the room. A touchy subject but it's 2015, surely they can find a way to do this!! JMHO. I had a good time and enjoyed it overall though.

I'm sure much of this has been covered in previous threads but I just wanted to reach out on the 9-11 anniversary. Be well.

Too many pics of weapons flags, models, and uniforms to bother sharing but a few samples from the day.

Lee's tent.jpg
actual contents of Lee's tent

4rth VA Cavalry.jpg
A 4rth Va. Cavalry flag

NO republic.jpg

Short lived Republic of Louisiana Flag

Julio painting.jpg

the well known Julio painting of Lee/Jackson. It's a huge painting!!

Sterling Price's sword.jpg
Sterling Price's Sword.

I visited the museum in August. I was previous there in 1994. The guided tour of the White House was amazing. I'm wondering if you had the same smart tour guide, who talked as if he had been a resident in the house forever! I attached a few photos of Lee's and Stuart's clothing.

Attachments

• P8301435.JPG
    P8301435.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 153
  • P8301441.JPG
    P8301441.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 132
I'm going to Richmond/Petersburg this January for 4 whole days and 2 half-days. Got a full day set aside for those 2 places if need be. Got a full day set aside for Petersburg/Pamplin Park/Five Forks too.

Went to Pamplin this summer. Great experience. Be sure not to miss the hour long movie about soldier experiences and walk the western fortifications of the Petersburg front where the VI Corps broke through the confederate lines on April 2, 1865.

Went to Pamplin this summer. Great experience. Be sure not to miss the hour long movie about soldier experiences and walk the western fortifications of the Petersburg front where the VI Corps broke through the confederate lines on April 2, 1865.
I'm told that Petersburg/Pamplin/Five Forks is doable in one day. Don't know when,if ever,I'll be back there and I wanna hit as much as I can. Probably stay in Colonial Heights the night before.

I'm going to Richmond/Petersburg this January for 4 whole days and 2 half-days. Got a full day set aside for those 2 places if need be. Got a full day set aside for Petersburg/Pamplin Park/Five Forks too.

House tour is guided and takes about 45 minutes. Definitely hit tha . Museum is three levels. They allow photos. Solid gift shop. I'd say the Museum is 1.5 hours if you absorb all in a semi-scholarly way. Allegedly they are moving the museum circa 2017.

It's a little tricky to find (amongst a concrete jungle that is MCV/VCU hospital system. Allow a little time to stroll to the museum after you park - you'll manage!!

Overall there's enought to do in this city to fill your days. Drive along Monument avenue (classic statues of Lee, JEB, and TJ) Have fun. Good restaurants in the city. I got down your way years back. I spent most of my time in San Antonio - the Alamo was fantastic. HOT HOT HOT. I know not to "mess with Texas". LOL.

House tour is guided and takes about 45 minutes. Definitely hit tha . Museum is three levels. They allow photos. Solid gift shop. I'd say the Museum is 1.5 hours if you absorb all in a semi-scholarly way. Allegedly they are moving the museum circa 2017.

It's a little tricky to find (amongst a concrete jungle that is MCV/VCU hospital system. Allow a little time to stroll to the museum after you park - you'll manage!!

Overall there's enought to do in this city to fill your days. Drive along Monument avenue (classic statues of Lee, JEB, and TJ) Have fun. Good restaurants in the city. I got down your way years back. I spent most of my time in San Antonio - the Alamo was fantastic. HOT HOT HOT. I know not to "mess with Texas". LOL.
I land in Richmond at 2:30pm on Wednesday,1/6 and fly out 2:20 pm on Monday,1/11. Friday night,Saturday all day and Sunday morning are booked with non-ACW activities. Thursday,1/7 is Petersburg/Pamplin/Five Forks. Staying in Colonial Heights the night of 1/6. Staying at the downtown Marriott the nights of 1/7-1/9. The House/Museum(5-6 blocks from the hotel) tour is planned for Friday morning-mid afternoon. If there's time for anything else,I'll hit something close to downtown. Got a few ideas for Sunday afternoon. Might get a hotel room near the airport for Sunday night and hit Cold Harbor Monday morning before my flight leaves.

I'm told that Petersburg/Pamplin/Five Forks is doable in one day. Don't know when,if ever,I'll be back there and I wanna hit as much as I can. Probably stay in Colonial Heights the night before.

That will be a lot to do in one day. Pamplin has a lot of stuff and we were there about five hours. Also, don't forget driving times between the eastern Peterburg front (location of the Crater and Ft. Stedman), and the western front and Five Forks. Even without traffic that might consume an hour or so. Colonial Heights is a good location, and is minutes from the western fortifications. All in all, if only one day in the area, I would concentrate on the eastern front works, then a quick visit to Pamplin.

Allegedly they are moving the museum circa 2017..

Hold it for a second :smile:

Is that true or just political rumors? What are they planning on doing with the site? It is part of the National Historic Register and was restored in 1988.

Richmond as a city practically denies that it was the Confederate capital, but there are a few things they cannot get away with...

Hold it for a second :smile:

Is that true or just political rumors? What are they planning on doing with the site? It is part of the National Historic Register and was restored in 1988.

Richmond as a city practically denies that it was the Confederate capital, but there are a few things they cannot get away with...
Chuckle. Keep in mind the White House of CSA and Museum are two separate buildings. Right next to each other, but not attached directly.

The tour guide at the White House said the Museum is relocating. I certainly wouldn't call that offical but... I had asked if MCV hospital system (which envelopes both the Museum and White House of CSA) ever vied for the property. That's when she mentioned the move.

Certainly the White House is protected as you referenced. The neighboring Museum however doesn't seem to be afforded the same protection.

I did find this:http://www.commdiginews.com/life/mu...move-to-a-partially-unpopular-reception-6433/

Chuckle. Keep in mind the White House of CSA and Museum are two separate buildings. Right next to each other, but not attached directly.

The tour guide at the White House said the Museum is relocating. I certainly wouldn't call that offical but... I had asked if MCV hospital system (which envelopes both the Museum and White House of CSA) ever vied for the property. That's when she mentioned the move.

Certainly the White House is protected as you referenced. The neighboring Museum however doesn't seem to be afforded the same protection.

I did find this:http://www.commdiginews.com/life/mu...move-to-a-partially-unpopular-reception-6433/

Yes that was pretty much known. There would be a singular (scalawagy) museum at the island...

Actually, having been to the MOC, I'm in favor of moving it to the proposed location (Tredegar Iron Works site). Last time I was at MOC, the building felt like it was a tucked away garage (from the outside - inside, it is LOADED with iconic artifacts, some of which are pictured in above postings). Parking at the present location is a bear!!! I had to park about 3 blocks away...near schetchy areas...

MOC-Richmond.... The existing facility has long been thwarted by the envelopment of the VCU-MCV campus. Over time the situation only has grown worse.. It has significantly impacted its economic state... In order for the museum to remain viable it had to seek other options... including expanding to include additional regional facilities.. and/or relocating the main museum collections... They have gone in with the Museum of the Civil War Soldier in Richmond near old Tredegar... as well as built a museum facility out near Appomattox...

What one may see on display at the MOC Richmond facility is only a fraction of the collection they have.... There are many stories below ground that the general public doesn't see that is for storage and conservation efforts... Some items are on permanent static display... such items that are the uniform and personal items of key command figures... Other displays, artifacts, and flags are routinely rotated... There simply isnt sufficient space to put everything out at one time... Many articles might only get to come out once a decade if that... again simply isnt enough space to display... Having additional locations and larger public areas... many articles that are seldom seen by the public get a much better chance now...

The collections may be moved to a larger better facility(s)... The White House itself and the existing museum building will remain... They aren't going to raze it to build a Starbucks etc.... There are lots of other artifacts and furniture in storage related to the building and the Davis family that could quickly refill the museum displays if the majority of the military related artifacts are relocated....

African-American / Slavery roles..... This is also a topic that the MOC has indeed focused on and had related programs upon many times over the years.... Because one may not much of it currently is not an indicator that such topic has not nor ever has been presented there.... Besides there are other historical venues in the area that do... hence many will try to reduce redundancy..... Topics, programs and artifacts rotate... if it was all the same and never changed nor moved, many folks out of the area probably wouldn't regularly return again...

Born and raised in the Richmond metro area and have been a regular to the MOC for research fodder probably hundreds of times over three decades.... Also used to give talks and lectures there...

MOC-Richmond.... The existing facility has long been thwarted by the envelopment of the VCU-MCV campus. Over time the situation only has grown worse.. It has significantly impacted its economic state... In order for the museum to remain viable it had to seek other options... including expanding to include additional regional facilities.. and/or relocating the main museum collections... They have gone in with the Museum of the Civil War Soldier in Richmond near old Tredegar... as well as built a museum facility out near Appomattox...

What one may see on display at the MOC Richmond facility is only a fraction of the collection they have.... There are many stories below ground that the general public doesn't see that is for storage and conservation efforts... Some items are on permanent static display... such items that are the uniform and personal items of key command figures... Other displays, artifacts, and flags are routinely rotated... There simply isnt sufficient space to put everything out at one time... Many articles might only get to come out once a decade if that... again simply isnt enough space to display... Having additional locations and larger public areas... many articles that are seldom seen by the public get a much better chance now...

The collections may be moved to a larger better facility(s)... The White House itself and the existing museum building will remain... They aren't going to raze it to build a Starbucks etc.... There are lots of other artifacts and furniture in storage related to the building and the Davis family that could quickly refill the museum displays if the majority of the military related artifacts are relocated....

African-American / Slavery roles..... This is also a topic that the MOC has indeed focused on and had related programs upon many times over the years.... Because one may not much of it currently is not an indicator that such topic has not nor ever has been presented there.... Besides there are other historical venues in the area that do... hence many will try to reduce redundancy..... Topics, programs and artifacts rotate... if it was all the same and never changed nor moved, many folks out of the area probably wouldn't regularly return again...

Born and raised in the Richmond metro area and have been a regular to the MOC for research fodder probably hundreds of times over three decades.... Also used to give talks and lectures there...
I Appreciate the 'behind the scenes' and background of your post!!

@Frederick14Va covered most of it. The MOC is merging with the ACW museum at Tredegar. They are going to build a new building at Tredegar to house the new combined museum. I can confirm as well that what you see in the MOC is just a fraction of what they own. The MOC has a trove of stuff but not enough room to display it. It's part of why they put a site at Appomattox and there was talks of putting one at Fort Monroe but not sure it actually happened.

I'm very interested to see what attendance at the White House goes to once the museum moves.

@HardeeBoy i have to chuckle at the lack of slavery and role of blacks in the war. It is the museum of the confederacy after all. I've been there several times as a teenager and adult growing up in the area. It's not a Lost Cause shrine but it tilts that way some. The SCV threw a temper tantrum that the new museum will not be called the MOC.

Back