• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweets/Treats Mulberry Pudding

mulberry pudding
1594755822165.png
(from French Domestic Cookery, by Louis-Eustache Audot, 1846)

Ingredients:

1 lb. flour​
4 oz. beef suet​
hot water​
salt​
ripe mulberries​
pie paste​
powdered sugar​

Instructions:

Make a paste of a pound of flour, four ounces of beef suet chopped very finely, and hot water, with a little salt. Roll it out upon a board; then line it with a basin, which fill with very ripe mulberries; cover with paste; tie the whole tightly with a pudding cloth; plunge it into boiling water, and let it boil an hour or two, according to its size.​
In this manner you may make gooseberry puddings, or cherry, plum, apricot, apple, and pear puddings, &c. Add sugar, according to the kind of fruit. Powdered sugar may be added at table.​

Photo by B.navez, CC-3.0

Out for a walk this week I came across a mulberry tree - or rather, I came across a mess in the road that told me I was under a mulberry tree. The small city where I grew up had many mulberry trees and I hated when they ripened and left a mess of berries and bird droppings on the sidewalk. I never thought of mulberries as as fruit for people until my grandfather came to visit and stopped under one of the trees I so hated to eat some berries! He remembered loving them as a child in Tennessee. I've snacked on a few since then but never gathered any or tried to get enough for a recipe. I think you'd have to net the trees for that, the birds love them so. The author of the recipe below must have had some way to keep his berries from being snatched before he could use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks yummy! I bet you could substitute raspberries or blackberries in the recipe. I remember in field school coming upon a mulberry tree while out sampling the flora and fauna. It made a nice snack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mulberry tree in my backyard and I'll go out there and get a snack every now and then if those pesky squirrels haven't eaten them all. I love blackberries too. I wonder if there is a good recipe for a mulberry cobbler? I know blackberry cobbler is one of my favorite desserts.

I have a mulberry tree in my backyard and I'll go out there and get a snack every now and then if those pesky squirrels haven't eaten them all. I love blackberries too. I wonder if there is a good recipe for a mulberry cobbler? I know blackberry cobbler is one of my favorite desserts.
I think you can put mulberries in cobbler. Usually the only change you make in a basic cobbler recipe is adjusting the sugar to suit the sweetness of the fruit.

Back