Mrs. Lincoln's quilt loan to the Soldiers' Fair of 1866

Bronzino

Corporal
Hi All,

I've been scouring newspapers all day researching Edwin Booth (JW's brother) and came across this mention of a quilt Mrs. Lincoln sent to the Soldiers' Fair (Sanitary Fair) in Washington in 1866. Is anyone familiar with this quilt? Although it has nothing to do with my research, I would love to see a picture of it! I'm fascinated with 19th-century patriotic quilts! (A quick google search shows that there might be info in the June/July 2012 issue of Quilter's Newsletter, but you have to have a subscription to view.) It sounds gorgeous!

"News of the Day; Congress. Local News.," New York Times, July 2, 1866

"MRS. LINCOLN has sent to the Soldiers' Fair, at Washington, a silk bed-quilt, on which much tasteful needlework is displayed. It bears in the centre [sic] a blue star in a white field, on which are lesser stars corresponding with the number of States with MR. LINCOLN believed to be in the Union after the rebellious attempt to shatter the Government had been defeated. Among these stars is the national eagle, and around it the motto, "E Pluribus Unum". The quilt is bordered with stripes of red and white. On the other side, in splendid embroidery, are represented beautiful flowers, the All-seeing Eye which watches over our country's industry, and an arm-chair representing the Chair of State. This specimen of needlework was a present to MR. LINCOLN from MRS. WILLIAM BARLOW, of Oregon, in 1861."

Back