Mrs. John ( Barbara Cecelia Hagerman ) Burns Of Gettysburg's Very Tough Invasion

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
flower w butterlies2.jpg

Flowers for Mrs. John Barbara Hagerman Burns, because we forgot 150 years ago, in memory of her brother, Andrew

burns lag burns.jpg

Here she is, behind her famous husband, Barbara Cecelia Hagerman Burns, wife and, it transpires sister of civilian combatants during Lee's invasion. It would be a tough few weeks for Barbara. And who knew?

We know enough of Old John Burns to know his wife's life was probably, well- a little wearing. We've even seen her, thank you Matthew Brady. Standing in the doorway of their clapboard home, hands on his shoulders, she looks pleasant, placid, maybe proud, from what we can see of this tiny image.

women burns wife.JPG

She may or may not have been in mourning, in this photograph. Or may not have heard- her brother, in Hagerstown, had unbelievably, shouldered a musket and gone off to shoot those pesky Rebels. he, too was wounded- and was to die. His name was Andrew Hagerman. Two civilian combatants, one family.

Her name was Barbara, by the way. As a younger woman, christened Cecelia, or just Celia, tough to tell. Maiden name Hagerman, her siblings either lived in Adams county or weirdly, Hagerstown, Maryland. Where the invasion built up some steam, before rolling over on up through farmland into Pennsylvania. Barbara's house became awfully famous scant weeks later.... as did the name ' Burns '.
burns harpersweeklyv7bonn_0533 burns.jpg

Harper's Weekly helped hugely- they just loved the idea a civilian was out there, ' popping awa y' for his country. And should have. But there was more to this house and story.

None of these names were famous as Lee's army snacked their way through lush larders and laden orchards. Mary Virginia Wade and her mother cared for a small, disabled boy named Isaac Trostle, taken into their care, as well as a her sister's new little boy. Elizabeth Thorn turned her 2 small boys out to play ampngst tombstones in Evergreen cemetery, keeping watch over the two year old while beginning to walk a little funny- the pregnancy made it tough, at 6 months. The Sisters of Charity at Emmitsburg frantically cared for and fed countless souls camped in their front yard and Tillie Pierce watched her nervous parents send stock out of town. No one knew these names. They were just people War was to roll over, and soon.
lag11.jpg

Elizabeth Thorn's boys, albeit post battle, turned out to either play or watch each other. Elizabeth would not be ' famous ' until gosh, a century later. Entertained generals from both armies, buried over 100 dead and forgotten until someone- found her.

John Burns, as ants in the pants as he'd ever been since his first war, was ear marked for History books- a sincerely brave man, sincerely annoyed an enemy would show his face anywhere near his home. Little long in the tooth but no one would tell him so, least of all Barbara. You just know she tried, and mightily, and gave up, watching him stomp off, flint lock in hand, into the chaos. " The only civilian to fight in the invasion ", he would be wounded but survive.

No need to re-tell John Burn's story- if you're not familiar, please use the search feature here? Long threads are a snore, I know. It would make it far too long, honest.

So get this, from late summer, 1863
civilan hero 1.JPG

But John Burns, not to take a thing away from his deed, wasn't the only one. In Hagerstown, Maryland, as Confederates overwhelmed the small town, had she but known it Mrs. John Barbara Hagerman Burns had already gone down in History, just not the books- as related to another, civilian combatant. Her brother, Andrew. Now, I've researched, looked, poked and prodded. She had a brother, Andrew- he lived in Hagerstown and nothing can be found of him post-1863.

Andrew Hagerman, Civilian Combatant, the invasion, 1863, and he died- and was John Burn's brother in law.

civilian hero2.JPG

civilian hero3.JPG

civilian hero4.JPG

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Hagerman&GSiman=1&GScnty=2241&GRid=66571039&

Barbara, in Evergreen. If I can find Andrew, will ask he be connected, seems only right after all these years.

In those days, you could not really get away with writing whatever nonsense you wished- not this variety. I am still looking- and will find the genuine proof. It's there. Yes, I have sourced the long, dull genealogies, etc- unless someone asks, would rather not post them.

OH! Another civilian, an Emmitsburg boy of 15, put on a blue suit and fought. He was wounded, too. There's a diary speaking of his experience- but no proof as yet. It was just a blue set of clothing, not a uniform. And no relationship with poor Barbara Cecelia Burns, just very interesting- and forgotten.

Like all ' Ladies of Gettysburg ', Barbara Burn's home was a hospital- for her husband, too. When your husband insists on running into the heat of things, annoying the enemy officers who come to question him and getting your house shot at, your battle gets worse.

burns wife window.jpg

Glass is out, window closest to the door, broken in bottom row. Could be a stray shot. Could be Burn's account is true ( except for the part where anyone could aim at him from across a street, inside a house )

This account has Confederates aiming at him, from across a street. Unlikely- they probably just shot at the house. Civilians were indeed taken prisoner, on much less grounds than was had on Burns so it's not a groundless story. Besides, anyone ever wonder why there are rugs hung over the 2 front windows?

burns wife home 1.JPG

burns wife house 2.jpg

Still looking past good old John Burns, at the wife over his shoulder. Ladies of Gettysburg.

I read somewhere a story of John Burns and his wife. When he said he was going off to fight the rebels, she told him that if he was wounded, not to send for her to come and get him, After he was found, Barbara was sent for to fetch him home. She refused, saying she had told him if he was fool enough to go at his age, she wasn't going to go fetch him, and she refused, so he had to get someone else to help him home. Has anyone else heard of this?

I read somewhere a story of John Burns and his wife. When he said he was going off to fight the rebels, she told him that if he was wounded, not to send for her to come and get him, After he was found, Barbara was sent for to fetch him home. She refused, saying she had told him if he was fool enough to go at his age, she wasn't going to go fetch him, and she refused, so he had to get someone else to help him home. Has anyone else heard of this?

Bringing Barbara Burns back up because the women's war is impossibly massive in scope. We think general's wives, vivandier, nurses and once in awhile female soldiers. Civilian stories are all over the place, those caught in the cross fire ( with apologies to G.S. ), different again. It affected all of us and a lot.

@Northern Light , that account isn't mentioned by John Burns? You'd have to guess Barbara really, really didn't want her husband to wade out into the battle and said so- also have to guess Burns was predictably immune to entreaty. That Burns' own account doesn't mention any of this could mean someone made it up to add some kind of narrative?

Great story; I had never heard of her brother being mortally wounded. I do recall Northern Light's story about Barbara refusing to help her husband out of his predicament, and it makes sense to me that both were headstrong personalities (a polite term for "stubborn as a mule"), which probably was a helpful attribute to get one through those days, even without a war on your doorstep.

After getting wounded, Confederates surrounded Burns. He claimed that he was an innocent and noncombatant. Not only was he a noncombatant, but he had been caught in the crossfire while trying to find his "invalid wife" who had decided to wander into the fighting. The Confederates were so sympathetic towards this "aggrieved" old man that they not only didn't take him prisoner but went so far as to have their surgeons work on him, almost as an apology for shooting this "sorrowful old man who was shot while trying to find his addled wife".

After getting wounded, Confederates surrounded Burns. He claimed that he was an innocent and noncombatant. Not only was he a noncombatant, but he had been caught in the crossfire while trying to find his "invalid wife" who had decided to wander into the fighting. The Confederates were so sympathetic towards this "aggrieved" old man that they not only didn't take him prisoner but went so far as to have their surgeons work on him, almost as an apology for shooting this "sorrowful old man who was shot while trying to find his addled wife".

Love to have met the old battle horse. To be fair, there's quite a collection of stories where Confederates aided civilians, unsurprising. Favorite has to be the mother with a baby and several children in a basement, was intending to take a bucket out to get water. Confederate soldier took the bucket, saying it was too dangerous and he'd do it. That appears to be true, mentioned a few times in various era accounts. Then there's Harriet Baylee, pretty well adopted the very young Confederate who showed up at her door, shattered, shocked and terrified. Family took him in, lived with them until he was an adult then bought a farm and raised a family in Gettysburg himself.

Can't blame Burns for getting himself out of trouble. There was a collection of civilians taken prisoner, didn't get home until 1865. Burn's own narrative states he finally did arouse suspicion, said the house was shot at as a result.

View attachment 159601
Flowers for Mrs. John Barbara Hagerman Burns, because we forgot 150 years ago, in memory of her brother, Andrew

View attachment 159588
Here she is, behind her famous husband, Barbara Cecelia Hagerman Burns, wife and, it transpires sister of civilian combatants during Lee's invasion. It would be a tough few weeks for Barbara. And who knew?

We know enough of Old John Burns to know his wife's life was probably, well- a little wearing. We've even seen her, thank you Matthew Brady. Standing in the doorway of their clapboard home, hands on his shoulders, she looks pleasant, placid, maybe proud, from what we can see of this tiny image.

View attachment 159599

She may or may not have been in mourning, in this photograph. Or may not have heard- her brother, in Hagerstown, had unbelievably, shouldered a musket and gone off to shoot those pesky Rebels. he, too was wounded- and was to die. His name was Andrew Hagerman. Two civilian combatants, one family.

Her name was Barbara, by the way. As a younger woman, christened Cecelia, or just Celia, tough to tell. Maiden name Hagerman, her siblings either lived in Adams county or weirdly, Hagerstown, Maryland. Where the invasion built up some steam, before rolling over on up through farmland into Pennsylvania. Barbara's house became awfully famous scant weeks later.... as did the name ' Burns '.
View attachment 159600
Harper's Weekly helped hugely- they just loved the idea a civilian was out there, ' popping awa y' for his country. And should have. But there was more to this house and story.

None of these names were famous as Lee's army snacked their way through lush larders and laden orchards. Mary Virginia Wade and her mother cared for a small, disabled boy named Isaac Trostle, taken into their care, as well as a her sister's new little boy. Elizabeth Thorn turned her 2 small boys out to play ampngst tombstones in Evergreen cemetery, keeping watch over the two year old while beginning to walk a little funny- the pregnancy made it tough, at 6 months. The Sisters of Charity at Emmitsburg frantically cared for and fed countless souls camped in their front yard and Tillie Pierce watched her nervous parents send stock out of town. No one knew these names. They were just people War was to roll over, and soon.
View attachment 159598
Elizabeth Thorn's boys, albeit post battle, turned out to either play or watch each other. Elizabeth would not be ' famous ' until gosh, a century later. Entertained generals from both armies, buried over 100 dead and forgotten until someone- found her.

John Burns, as ants in the pants as he'd ever been since his first war, was ear marked for History books- a sincerely brave man, sincerely annoyed an enemy would show his face anywhere near his home. Little long in the tooth but no one would tell him so, least of all Barbara. You just know she tried, and mightily, and gave up, watching him stomp off, flint lock in hand, into the chaos. " The only civilian to fight in the invasion ", he would be wounded but survive.

No need to re-tell John Burn's story- if you're not familiar, please use the search feature here? Long threads are a snore, I know. It would make it far too long, honest.

So get this, from late summer, 1863
View attachment 159590

But John Burns, not to take a thing away from his deed, wasn't the only one. In Hagerstown, Maryland, as Confederates overwhelmed the small town, had she but known it Mrs. John Barbara Hagerman Burns had already gone down in History, just not the books- as related to another, civilian combatant. Her brother, Andrew. Now, I've researched, looked, poked and prodded. She had a brother, Andrew- he lived in Hagerstown and nothing can be found of him post-1863.

Andrew Hagerman, Civilian Combatant, the invasion, 1863, and he died- and was John Burn's brother in law.

View attachment 159591

View attachment 159592

View attachment 159593

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Hagerman&GSiman=1&GScnty=2241&GRid=66571039&

Barbara, in Evergreen. If I can find Andrew, will ask he be connected, seems only right after all these years.

In those days, you could not really get away with writing whatever nonsense you wished- not this variety. I am still looking- and will find the genuine proof. It's there. Yes, I have sourced the long, dull genealogies, etc- unless someone asks, would rather not post them.

OH! Another civilian, an Emmitsburg boy of 15, put on a blue suit and fought. He was wounded, too. There's a diary speaking of his experience- but no proof as yet. It was just a blue set of clothing, not a uniform. And no relationship with poor Barbara Cecelia Burns, just very interesting- and forgotten.
Great post

Love to have met the old battle horse. To be fair, there's quite a collection of stories where Confederates aided civilians, unsurprising. Favorite has to be the mother with a baby and several children in a basement, was intending to take a bucket out to get water. Confederate soldier took the bucket, saying it was too dangerous and he'd do it. That appears to be true, mentioned a few times in various era accounts. Then there's Harriet Baylee, pretty well adopted the very young Confederate who showed up at her door, shattered, shocked and terrified. Family took him in, lived with them until he was an adult then bought a farm and raised a family in Gettysburg himself.

Can't blame Burns for getting himself out of trouble. There was a collection of civilians taken prisoner, didn't get home until 1865. Burn's own narrative states he finally did arouse suspicion, said the house was shot at as a result.

I have always been fascinated on how the civilians seemed to be able to (for the most part) take compassion on enemy soldiers in the Civil War. You always get a feeling with like modern wars that hatred for the enemy's side but you always hear in the Civil War that women would immediately rush out to tend to the wounded, even their enemies without rancor. And as you pointed out, there were many cases in which northerners and southerners, bitter enemies at the start of the conflict, would end up marrying or joining their families in other ways, in some cases while the war was going on.

One of my favorite sequences from the much maligned Gods and Generals is our Southern family after the Battle of Fredericksburg. The daughter after telling her mother that their house is safe makes the remark, fighting back tears: "But Mother, it is a pitiful sight on the fields below Marye's Heights. I should feel rancor in my heart for those invaders but all I feel for them is sorrow."

Her mother responds how before the war, the community had assisted the Irish during the famine and that many of those men had probably been spared a death by starvation by the food they sent.

gods-and-generals_d55df05a_1.jpg

That's perhaps one of the most looked over aspect of the war. How not only the generals, but also the civilians too, not only had fond memories and feelings for their norther/southern brothers and sisters, but looked forward to when the war would end and they could be friends again. Even if it would be as citizens of two nations.

That's perhaps one of the most looked over aspect of the war. How not only the generals, but also the civilians too, not only had fond memories and feelings for their norther/southern brothers and sisters, but looked forward to when the war would end and they could be friends again.

I know there was a huge amount of rancor remaining post war and for a few reasons? IMO if the damage inflicted on a civilian population in the South had been addressed, I'm not sure we'd have such division in 2020. It's not popular to say so, but viewed from a civilian perspective the war that rolled over civilians really does not get enough attention. The problem with saying that is, all of a sudden you're ' pro-South ' and a whole ' nother argument comes up. Pro-anything isn't the point, it's understanding what happened 150 years ago. Lot of wounds left to fester instead of healing.

Yes, will dig up some threads highlighting how hard it could be viewing each other as an enemy. Picket stories are awesome because they tended to be enemies in close contact.There's another favorite from Gettysburg, can't remember which engagement from the top of my head. Wounded Union man, no chance of rescue found by Confederates as they advanced. Confederates stopped to build a little stone ' house ' over him. He said he could hear the ping of bullets bouncing from his shelter. Cool story.

Back