Mrs. Fairfax Chief Cook and Bottle Washer or...

Mike Serpa

Major
Headquarters Fifth Army Corps, Harrison's Landing, James River, Va.
3c22103u.tif.jpeg

LOC photo

Porter's name is the only one I recognize.

From United States Congressional serial set, Issue 3585 p899
https://books.google.com/books?id=LYw3AQAAIAAJ&pg=PA899&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2tfU6HkA72CA76sszLL9-WJEuIAQ&ci=83,400,845,425&edge=0

The following is approximately 2 months after the image was taken. It mentions Major Kirkland who is in the photo to the left. When I have more time (or someone more familiar with the period) I wonder how far removed this incident is from what would be around the area for the picture.

Headquarters Fifth Army Corps
October 29 1862 3.30 pm

General R.B. Marcy
Headquarters Army of the Potomac

The cavalry now opposite me is part of Fourth Virginia Cavalry, and is denominated Black Horse Cavalry. Major Kirkland, who has just returned from that side, having been over in connection with the removal of the wounded, thinks that is the only force in the immediate vicinity, and from the application for the bodies of deceased soldiers not having been replied to that it has gone to General Lee who must be farther off than suspected. This impression is derived from conversation with the officer in command though nothing directly to the point was stated or inquired.

FJ PORTER
Major General

Last edited:
Porter's name is the only one I recognize.

Major Joseph Kirkland (ADC)
Colonel Frederick T. Locke (Chief of Staff and Adjutant-General)
Major (here as 1Lt) George Monteith (ADC)
Gen. Porter (seated)
Surg. Charles McMillan (Medical Director)
Captain (here 1Lt) John F. McQuade (ADC)
Colonel Charles B. Norton (Quartermaster)
Captain William P. Mason (ADC)

By the way, the picture is cut on the left side. Here is the rest, and you can zoom a bit.

_5th_Army_Corps%2C_Army_of_the_Potomac%2C_Harrison%27s_Landing%2C_James_River..._-_NARA_-_526381.jpg

Attachments

• _5th_Army_Corps%2C_Army_of_the_Potomac%2C_Harrison%27s_Landing%2C_James_River..._-_NARA_-_526381.jpg
    _5th_Army_Corps%2C_Army_of_the_Potomac%2C_Harrison%27s_Landing%2C_James_River..._-_NARA_-_526381.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I was interested in who could Mrs. Fairfax be. Found this site:

https://magthehistorian.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/mrs-Fairfax/

Was interested in term "Chief cook and Bottle washer". It is suppose to be civil war slang and means "person able to do many things".

It supposedly mentioned in books "The Life of Johnny Reb" and "The Life of Billy Yank".

I was interested in who could Mrs. Fairfax be. Found this site:

https://magthehistorian.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/mrs-Fairfax/

Was interested in term "Chief cook and Bottle washer". It is suppose to be civil war slang and means "person able to do many things".

It supposedly mentioned in books "The Life of Johnny Reb" and "The Life of Billy Yank".
I was wondering the same things. "Chief cook and bottle washer" sounds so recent--I can just imagine it coming from a vaudeville act--but it's apparently older than the war. Several hits from the 1830s are at Google books, like "the Devil is chief cook and bottle washer for the slave trade," from a story in the Knickerbocker, 1835.

I do wish we knew more about Mrs. Fairfax's life.
Is Mrs. Fairfax out of uniform?

Sleeves rolled up, apron, kerchief--looks good to me. :wink:

I've been a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom for many, many years. I always pause when filling out a form at the doc's office that asks for my occupation. In the past, I would write "Personal Assistant" because really...I am. But I think the next time I come across this, it'll be "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer". See if anyone picks it up. :wink:

I find it interesting that Mrs. Fairfax was included in the photo and given a name. Porter is usually associated with General McClellan and supposedly aligned with those more interested in preserving the "Union as it was and the Constitution as it is", but he included a black woman in his staff photo.

Call me strange but I love looking at their faces....makes them seem a lot more human to me, more than they already did.

I like the man seated on the grass to the furthest right. (Mason?) He looks like he's half laughing at something.

Back