Mr. Smith's Flight, " ..He Floated With Apparent Ease " 1865

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
1807crop jp.jpg

One of quite a few, these are so novel and charming it just never occurs to you they'd be anything except novel and charming. Who knew one could be an eye witness account of an eye witness account? I can't find an image quite matching the article- it's somewhere. From NYPL, an 1807 image

Posting this in ' artwork ' despite the story attached. Well, because of it. In the plethora of patent images which must have crossed Clara Barton's desk at the Patent Office in Washington DC, most prevalent images are of all-imagined-ways-to-fly. We just wanted to go UP, if we could but get there. Everything from balloons to puffing machines to wings- we wanted to go UP. Improbably, in 1865 one man did.

fly mach 1865 1.JPG

It's long, sorry, but worth it. Honest.

fly machine 1865 2.JPG

flyingmachine_1869.jpg

This never made it to war, patent 1869. It's another indication we kept trying to go UP- until we did.

fly mach 1865 3.JPG

" Attached... were a pair of webbed wings ..."

fly mach 1865 4.JPG

balloon wings man.JPG

fly mach 1865 5.JPG

flying large ctp crop lg.jpg

Also post war, cannot find Mr. Smith's webbed wings- these seem to be the fluttering kind-

fly mach 1865 6.JPG

balloon wings.jpg

Had to share this from LoC. I realize it's not ACW much less this country but these always remind me of some of the outlandish inventions creative people came up with during the war, shopped around to army contractors. All-time favorite was The Crusher. Sounds a little like this anyway, intent was to carry rocks over towns and drop them.

flying machine.JPG

Back