"Mr. Byers fought like a hero".

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ch...ritage-of-blue-gray.94630/page-2#post-1084947

I've posted in the past about my relative, T.C. Land of Wilkes County, NC. Recently, while looking at Confederate pension applications from predominately Union Johnson County, here in east Tennessee, I was surprised to discover a letter written by him, on behalf of one of his former comrades. Having my interest keyed, I was able to put together this account :

David Byers was born in Wilkes County, North Carolina in the mid-1830's. He admittedly (on his pension application), was unsure of his exact age. He's listed as being 16 years old in 1850, and living in Wilkes County. He is one of 14 with the Byers surname on the same page, possibly members of 2 households, headed by two sisters . The oldest are Amy, age 47,and Susan age 45. The 12 younger range from age 3, to 26. It appears the census recorder may have lost count of who belonged to who, and just simply listed them,one after the other. In 1860,David is listed in a household headed by a 60 year-old Anna Byers, a 39 year-old Rebeca, and 13 year-old Caroline Byers. David married about 1868 to Elizabeth “Lizzie” Lipford Byers. They had 8 children. They were all living in 1900, born between the years 1869-1892. "Lizzie" died June 11, 1900. At the time of his pension filing, David's 36 year-old widowed daughter, Savannah was living with him. David died in Johnson County,Tennessee, December 15, 1919. He and Elizabeth are buried in Brown Cemetery, in Johnson County.

David enlisted on 3/3/1862 at Wilkes County, NC as a Private, and mustered into "K" Company, NC 53rd Infantry on 4/30/1862. He states on his pension application, his Captain was William Miller, His Colonel was (William A)Owens. His 1st Lieutenant was Jesse Eller, His second Lieutenant, (my relative), T.C.Land. David deserted 5/8/1863, was arrested 3/14/1864, returned 8/15/1864, POW 9/22/1864 Fisher's Hill, VA, Confined 10/3/1864 Point Lookout, MD, Paroled 2/13/1865, Point Lookout, MD, Exchanged 2/15/1865 at Cox's Landing,James River, VA. He states in his pension application he was,"home when Lee surrendered", and he had been a resident of Tennessee,"14 years",(since 1894).
david byers.jpg
david byers pension.jpg
David Byers record.jpg
David's record, (Tennessee Pension Board)

Carter and Johnson counties, bordering on the mountain counties of western North Carolina, were predominantly Union in their sympathies during the war. After hostilities ended, David was one of several western North Carolina Rebel veterans living in, and filing for pensions in Johnson County. Many men on both sides, who were residents of bitterly divided areas, re-located following the war, rather than deal with the animosity of family and neighbors from the other side. Being a native of, and veteran from North Carolina, while applying in Tennessee, presented a problem for David and the others, when it came to having witnesses of their service. While living in Wilkes County, he may have been acquainted with Jesse Luther. Jesse served in the 37th NC. and was a POW with David at Point Lookout. Jesse wrote a letter to the Tennessee Pension Board, verifying that he and Byers were there together. There were still questions the Board had about his service, and the answers Byers gave seemed inadequate.

jesse luter letter.jpg
Letter from Jesse Luther

State Of North Carolina
Wilkes County

"To all whom it may concern. I J.E. Luther, do certify that David Byers was a prisoner at Point Lookout, MD in the years of 1864-1865. He was paroled in February or March, 1865, and he was paroled at (to) home on furlough in March,1865, as I was with him this June 20 in prison and at home, when the war closed. this June the 20th, day 1909".

J.E. Luther

Then he received another letter from Wilkes County. This one from his former 2nd Lieutenant in Company K, my relative, Thomas C. Land. David Byers received a much-deserved pension.

T.C.Land letter.jpg

Mt. Zion, North Carolina
October 24,1908

"This is to certify that David Byers,was a member of Company K,53rd Regiment,North Carolina Troops,and was with me in a number of battles. I was severely wounded at the Battle of Winchester,Virginia,on the 19 of September,1864,and was sent to the hospital,and Mr.Byers was captured soon after that battle. I was commanding the company at the time I was wounded,and Mr.Byers fought like a hero".

T.C.Land
Lieutenant Commanding Co.K

Sworn to and subscribed to
before me,on this day,the 24th
day of Oct.A.D.1908
James C Hendrix,Notary Public

jesse franklin eller.jpg
Captain Jesse Franklin Eller, Co K 53rd NC Infantry

jesse e. luther.jpg
Private Jesse Elihu Luther Co. B 37th NC Infantry

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/re...burg-july-1-3-1863.115321/page-2#post-1152873

Last edited:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ch...ritage-of-blue-gray.94630/page-2#post-1084947

I've posted in the past about my relative, T.C. Land of Wilkes County, NC. Recently, while looking at Confederate pension applications from predominately Union Johnson County, here in east Tennessee, I was surprised to discover a letter written by him, on behalf of one of his former comrades. Having my interest keyed, I was able to put together this account :

David Byers was born in Wilkes County, North Carolina in the mid-1830's. He admittedly (on his pension application), was unsure of his exact age. He's listed as being 16 years old in 1850, and living in Wilkes County. He is one of 14 with the Byers surname on the same page, possibly members of 2 households, headed by two sisters . The oldest are Amy, age 47,and Susan age 45. The 12 younger range from age 3, to 26. It appears the census recorder may have lost count of who belonged to who, and just simply listed them,one after the other. In 1860,David is listed in a household headed by a 60 year-old Anna Byers, a 39 year-old Rebeca, and 13 year-old Caroline Byers. David married about 1868 to Elizabeth “Lizzie” Lipford Byers. They had 8 children. They were all living in 1900, born between the years 1869-1892. "Lizzie" died June 11, 1900. At the time of his pension filing, David's 36 year-old widowed daughter, Savannah was living with him. David died in Johnson County,Tennessee, December 15, 1919. He and Elizabeth are buried in Brown Cemetery, in Johnson County.

David enlisted on 3/3/1862 at Wilkes County, NC as a Private, and mustered into "K" Company, NC 53rd Infantry on 4/30/1862. He states on his pension application, his Captain was William Miller, His Colonel was (William A)Owens. His 1st Lieutenant was Jesse Eller, His second Lieutenant, (my relative), T.C.Land. David deserted 5/8/1863, was arrested 3/14/1864, returned 8/15/1864, POW 9/22/1864 Fisher's Hill, VA, Confined 10/3/1864 Point Lookout, MD, Paroled 2/13/1865, Point Lookout, MD, Exchanged 2/15/1865 at Cox's Landing,James River, VA. He states in his pension application he was,"home when Lee surrendered", and he had been a resident of Tennessee,"14 years",(since 1894).
View attachment 172698
View attachment 172699
View attachment 172707
David's record, (Tennessee Pension Board)

Carter and Johnson counties, bordering on the mountain counties of western North Carolina, were predominantly Union in their sympathies during the war. After hostilities ended, David was one of several western North Carolina Rebel veterans living in, and filing for pensions in Johnson County. Many men on both sides, who were residents of bitterly divided areas, re-located following the war, rather than deal with the animosity of family and neighbors from the other side. Being a native of, and veteran from North Carolina, while applying in Tennessee, presented a problem for David and the others, when it came to having witnesses of their service. While living in Wilkes County, he may have been acquainted with Jesse Luther. Jesse served in the 37th NC. and was a POW with David at Point Lookout. Jesse wrote a letter to the Tennessee Pension Board, verifying that he and Byers were there together. There were still questions the Board had about his service, and the answers Byers gave seemed inadequate.

View attachment 172708
Letter from Jesse Luther

State Of North Carolina
Wilkes County

"To all whom it may concern. I J.E. Luther, do certify that David Byers was a prisoner at Point Lookout, MD in the years of 1864-1865. He was paroled in February or March, 1865, and he was paroled at (to) home on furlough in March,1865, as I was with him this June 20 in prison and at home, when the war closed. this June the 20th, day 1909".

J.E. Luther

Then he received another letter from Wilkes County. This one from his former 2nd Lieutenant in Company K, my relative, Thomas C. Land. David Byers received a much-deserved pension.

View attachment 172700

Mt. Zion, North Carolina
October 24,1908

"This is to certify that David Byers,was a member of Company K,53rd Regiment,North Carolina Troops,and was with me in a number of battles. I was severely wounded at the Battle of Winchester,Virginia,on the 19 of September,1864,and was sent to the hospital,and Mr.Byers was captured soon after that battle. I was commanding the company at the time I was wounded,and Mr.Byers fought like a hero".

T.C.Land
Lieutenant Commanding Co.K

Sworn to and subscribed to
before me,on this day,the 24th
day of Oct.A.D.1908
James C Hendrix,Notary Public

View attachment 172702
Captain Jesse Franklin Eller, Co K 53rd NC Infantry

View attachment 172703
Private Jesse Elihu Luther Co. B 37th NC Infantry

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/re...burg-july-1-3-1863.115321/page-2#post-1152873

See 1st post in the thread

thomas charles land.jpg

4 x 1st Cousin, Thomas Charles Land, Veteran of the 1st & 53 NC Infantry.

I recently discovered another veteran of the 53rd NC; Company K living in east Tennessee (Knox County) that was assisted in obtaining a Confederate pension by my 4 x 1st cousin, Thomas Charles Land. Thomas completed an affidavit in Wilkes County that read as follows....................

"T.C. Land of Mount Zion Community, Wilkes County, NC. states that he was in the late Confederate Army, being 2nd Lieutenant of Company K 53rd Regiment of North Carolina Volunteers. That he knew C.S. Keaton; that said Keaton was a member of the same Company. That said Keaton remained in the Confederate service up to and including a part of the Battle of Gettysburg. That he, (T.C. Land), commanded said Company K during the last two days of said battle and knows that the said Keaton was captured during said battle. That the said Keaton was a good and loyal soldier".

Calvin S. Keaton

Residence Wilkes County NC; 18 years old.

Enlisted on 2/16/1863 at Wilkes County, NC as a Private.

On 2/16/1863 he mustered into "K" Co. NC 53rd Infantry

He was listed as:
* POW 7/3/1863 Gettysburg, PA
* Confined 7/12/1863 Fort Delaware, DE
* Transferred 10/20/1863 Point Lookout, MD
* Paroled 11/1/1864 Point Lookout, MD
* Exchanged 11/15/1864 Venus Point, GA
- North Carolina Troops 1861-65, A Roster

Last edited:
Back