movie Ride with the Devil

I also think it is the best Civil War movie. I particularly like the authenticity of the dialog.

A riveting scene is in a restaurant when Mackeson threatens harm Jake at an unspecified time. In an instant Jake pulls out his pistol, cocks the hammer, and points the barrel only inches from Mackeson's face while answering, "When do you plan to do this mean thing Mackeson? Is this very moment convenient to you? It is for me."

It is based on a novel, Woe To Live On by Daniel Woodrell. I recommend the novel as well.

I also think it is the best Civil War movie. I particularly like the authenticity of the dialog.

A riveting scene is in a restaurant when Mackeson threatens harm Jake at an unspecified time. In an instant Jake pulls out his pistol, cocks the hammer, and points the barrel only inches from Mackeson's face while answering, "When do you plan to do this mean thing Mackeson? Is this very moment convenient to you? It is for me."

It is based on a novel, Woe To Live On by Daniel Woodrell. I recommend the novel as well.

Highly recommend the book. The best part isn't in the film....but it does stay pretty true to the novel. :smile:

Great movie! Missouri/Arkansas/Kansas were rough places, hard living. This movie depicts that well. Read "Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy" by Richard Brownlee and see how many scenes came from the history books.

My only complaint about it was in the settings used - many looked too good: the grass was too green; lawns were too clean. Obviously filmed "on the cheap", they used actual settings, which SOUNDS like a great idea, until you realize they're now parkland and look like it. On the other hand, I thought characterizations were good and costuming ( especially the "battle-shirts" ) wonderful!

Its a great movie, but not very well known compare to Gettysburg or Glory, even though it is probably one of the more historically accurate ACW films out of the others and one of the only films out there about the Kansas and Missouri border wars.

I got it on blu-ray a few years ago when it was released having never seen it and was blown away. Definitely a hidden gem for Civil War enthusiasts that went overlooked by the general public. Has some really good actors involved, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is pretty psychotic as Pitt Mackeson. If you have a blu-ray player I'd recommend getting it.

Expired Image Removed

Yes that is one of my favorite scenes............

Ride With The Devil is one of my favorites and it touches on how violent and hate filled the war was in the trans Mississippi. Still I liked North and South and the Blue and the Gray also. I regret The Last Full Measure will not likely ever be made.

Back