NF Movie "Copperhead" by Director Ron Maxwell

Non-Fiction
I have found history wise its complete garbage. But if you turn your brain off its okay, especially if there ain't nothing else to watch.

I'm not sure its factually based in anything, and while there were "Copperhead" Democrats in Upstate New York I'd say they were a minority after the guns sounded. Copperheads were more a Great Lakes States thing I think, but the movie only shows 4 Copperheads more motivated by the Constitution than the Confederacy and heavily discriminated against by their many, many Republican neighbors.
Well Lincoln got 53.7% of the vote in NY in 1860, would assume some of the the 46.3% who didn't vote for him, indeed may have differed from Republican policies for the war

This movie was partly shot at King's Landing Historical Settlement near Fredericton, New Brunswick. I recognized several of the buildings from there in the clip.

I just watched the trailer in the original post. I can appreciate purists who want a movie based on actual events or people to be absolutely accurate. That's the ideal. Reality, however, tells us that that will never actually happen. Add to the mix the political agendas of just about every form of media these days and your chances of a historically accurate movie plunge.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Zulu. It's not very accurate as to the events in the battle, but what a movie! I think the reason I love it so much is that it makes me feel like I am really there.

So, as for Copperhead, I will enjoy it if it seems like I'm there and if it's at least believable.
Having watched the trailer, I'll give it a shot.

I have found history wise its complete garbage. But if you turn your brain off its okay, especially if there ain't nothing else to watch.
I have no problem separating history from television shows. But by the end of the first season even as a drama, I lost interest in it and found no redeeming qualities in it. But to each their own...this one just turned out not to be my cup of 'tea'.

Well Lincoln got 53.7% of the vote in NY in 1860, would assume some of the the 46.3% who didn't vote for him, indeed may have differed from Republican policies for the war
Actually, you need to use the 1864 election results as well in relation to this movie as the story also spans the time the war was playing out and the lost of local boys in the war. In that case, the election was a lot more closer...50.5 for Lincoln and 49.5 for McClellan, who was favored by the Peace Democrats.

I have no problem separating history from television shows. But by the end of the first season even as a drama, I lost interest in it and found no redeeming qualities in it. But to each their own...this one just turned out not to be my cup of 'tea'.

Not gonna lie, your about right, even to my tastes. I've never made it past the second half of the second season, (I try to remedy that every now and then), and about the high water mark for me in the first season is the "battle" of Setauket, with the rest being boring. As for the second season, eh it has its boring moments, but it has WAY more good moments for me than the first one did.

Back