Move Over John Burns, Meet John Hicks

Taylin

Sergeant
23539890401_a357ff7957_z.jpg

Story can be read here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8026096@N04/23539890401

I haven't been able to track down records of his service, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Other than newspapers there doesn't seem to be much documentation on him but maybe someone here can dig something, beats me. Apparently he had papers as evident by the story above. Awaiting a reply from the author to see if he found more on him.

Edited a few times.

Last edited:
That's a wonderful story, thank you! Love to see these collected- found where Burn's brother in law, Andrew Hagerman, did the same thing as Burns during the 1863 invasion, but died as a result and a few 1812 vets turned out in Harrisburg, in defense.

Hicks, serving for a year at his age sounds awfully singular- how'd he get missed? Thanks for bringing his service here!

Thanks for posting this story of a remarkable man!

Hicks, serving for a year at his age sounds awfully singular- how'd he get missed?
Probably because he fought in the Western Theater.
John Burns' story has a connection to the image of the citizen temporarily turned soldier- the Lexington image, leaving the plow to pick up a musket.
What makes Mr. Hicks' story so remarkable is that he was an enlisted soldier- not for a day- but for three years! We are told that he actively served one year and lost his son at Shiloh.
As I mentioned earlier, imagine had that story played out in Gettysburg, the focus of so many CW enthusiasts over the years.

I encountered the same thing. There are 10 John Hicks in Indiana regiments and none of them appear to be him. As I mention in the first post I can't seem to locate records of service about him. There are a few newspapers reporting on his service from 1862-63-64 from what I can find. I would think someone would correct them if wrong being that it wasn't just a 1 time only story but stranger things have happened.

Back