Mourning at Jackson’s Grave

vmicraig

Sergeant
971E1508-7DA4-4CFC-B802-7837052ABD92.jpeg
8155D96A-4A5C-457B-B8A0-2E82E0FFEA18.jpeg
VMI cadets and young ladies from Lexington ‘s Anne Smith Academy paying their respects at the gravesite

So was it painted with the lettering painted to contrast at the time of those photographs? Or was this a photographers artistic choice?

The markers are clearly not painted in April photos of course.

View attachment 207609
The site as it appeared this April during my visit to Lexington.

View attachment 207608

I may have commented on this image before but couldn't resist saying that the monolith that appears rising above the middle of the tablet monument in the upper right-hand portion of your first image is for the husband of my relative who's buried next to him. He was a founder of the town and did the brick work for Jefferson's Monticello. They belonged to the same church as the Jacksons and the husband was a close friend of the VMI commander so they would have known the Jacksons socially.

Last edited:
I may have commented on this image before but couldn't resist saying that the monolith that appears rising above the middle of the tablet monument in the upper right-hand portion of your first image is for the husband of my relative who's buried next to him. He was a founder of the town and did the brick work for Jefferson's Monticello. They belonged to the same church as the Jacksons and the husband was a close friend of the VMI commander so they would have known the Jacksons socially.
I'd like to add that buried crosswise (basically at where the feet of where Jackson would've been if he was still there) is the grave of the otherwise unrelated Jay Winston Johns, a Northerner who moved to the Valley, formed the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Association in the 1950's, and did a great deal to preserve related sites such as Jackson's Lexington Home and Winchester Headquarters Museum as well as marking battle sites in the Shenandoah relating to Jackson for the Civil War Centennial.

Back