Mounting guard, Fort Wagner, Morris Island, 1865.

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Unknown Union regiment undergoing inspection arms prior to a guard mount.
inspectionarms.jpg

Lampasas Bill

Corporal
I presume they're not strung there to warn low flying aircraft? Actually, they look like round shot placed on the corners of each traverse. Why, I have no idea. Given my experience as an enlisted man, they were probably painted white on a regular basis.

NFB22

Sergeant Major
I've seen this photo before from the LOC but the one thing I've always been curious about is how clean the earthworks are around these troops. Naturally the fortifications had been reinforced and at that time (1865) any fire from Fort Sumter would have been limited but still in awe as to how smooth those fortifications look given the circumstances. The formation looks calm and the troops on the ramparts look indifferent.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I've seen this photo before from the LOC but the one thing I've always been curious about is how clean the earthworks are around these troops. Naturally the fortifications had been reinforced and at that time (1865) any fire from Fort Sumter would have been limited but still in awe as to how smooth those fortifications look given the circumstances. The formation looks calm and the troops on the ramparts look indifferent.
Yes, it seems one heavy rain would bring walls tumbling down.
Lubliner.