Mott's Artillery

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
The 3rd Independent Light Artillery The battery was organized at New York City and mustered in at Washington, D.C. for a three-year enlistment on June 17, 1862, and shortly after detached and converted into a light artillery battery under the command of Captain Thaddeus P. Mott. It was present at the Battles of First Manassas, Yorktown, the Seven Days, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Mine Run, the Wilderness, North Anna, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Sailor's Creek, and Appomattox Court House. The battery lost a total of 18 men during service; 14 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 4 enlisted men died of disease.

MottsArty.jpg

I like the sword on the drummer. I once had one that was very similar, which I wore as 1st Sergeant in the 125th Bull Run reenactment. I I had hoped that it was appropriate, and then Steve Osmond, curator at Ft. Snelling, walked up and said "really nice sword!" I wish that I hadn't eventually sold it.

Another thing of note: there are a lot of pistols, and several seem to have bayonets on their belts! Any idea on what that's about? It's obviously early war, so I guess almost anything could be possible.

I like the sword on the drummer. I once had one that was very similar, which I wore as 1st Sergeant in the 125th Bull Run reenactment. I I had hoped that it was appropriate, and then Steve Osmond, curator at Ft. Snelling, walked up and said "really nice sword!" I wish that I hadn't eventually sold it.

Another thing of note: there are a lot of pistols, and several seem to have bayonets on their belts! Any idea on what that's about? It's obviously early war, so I guess almost anything could be possible.
Not sure, but the battery's organizational history up until late 1861 is really confusing. It was originally mustered in as the "howitzer company" of the 82nd NY infantry - which, just to confuse everybody further - shows up as the 2nd NY Militia at First Bull Run. That Fall Co. D was detached and became the 3rd NY Independent Light. One interesting issue - the muzzle in the photo looks like a M1841 6 lb smoothbore. It does not look like a M1841 12 lb field howitzer. By Gettysburg, at least, these guys had 6 10 lb Parrotts.

3rd Independent Battery Light Artillery, "Mott's Artillery"

This battery was originally Company D — the howitzer company — of the 2d Militia, later 82d Infantry. It served detached from its regiment, and was known as Battery B, New York Volunteer Artillery, until, December 7, 1861 when it received its numerical designation from the State. It was recruited and organized in New York city and left the State, commanded by Capt. Thaddeus P. Mott, May 19, 1861. It was mustered in the service of the United States for three years, June 17, 1861, at Washington, D.C. and shortly thereafter detached from its regiment and converted into a light battery. At the expiration of its term of service the men entitled were discharged, and the battery continued in service. On June 24, 1865, commanded by Capt. W. A. Harn, it was honorably discharged and mustered out at New York city, having lost by death during its service, killed in action, 12 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 2 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 4 enlisted men; total, 18.

The battery participated in all the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac to the end of the war.

Original prints of this unit are in the New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center.

New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.

10922438_10152482660912133_7252630240490778864_n.jpg

10882317_10152482661272133_5560294740107369953_n.jpg

PA.2001.0509[tinted].jpg

3rd Independent Battery Light Artillery, "Mott's Artillery"

This battery was originally Company D — the howitzer company — of the 2d Militia, later 82d Infantry. It served detached from its regiment, and was known as Battery B, New York Volunteer Artillery, until, December 7, 1861 when it received its numerical designation from the State. It was recruited and organized in New York city and left the State, commanded by Capt. Thaddeus P. Mott, May 19, 1861. It was mustered in the service of the United States for three years, June 17, 1861, at Washington, D.C. and shortly thereafter detached from its regiment and converted into a light battery. At the expiration of its term of service the men entitled were discharged, and the battery continued in service. On June 24, 1865, commanded by Capt. W. A. Harn, it was honorably discharged and mustered out at New York city, having lost by death during its service, killed in action, 12 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 2 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 4 enlisted men; total, 18.

The battery participated in all the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac to the end of the war.

Original prints of this unit are in the New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center.

New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.

View attachment 417707

View attachment 417708

View attachment 417709
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Back