Mother Bickerdyke and the Delinquent Surgeon

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Expired Image Removed

In June , 1863, Mrs Bickerdyke was put in charge of the Gayoso Hospital, in what was formerly a hotel. It was one of the largest hotels in Memphis. Here she was in all her glory. It was her ambition to make her hospital one of the best regulated, neatest, and most comfortable in Memphis or it's vicinity. And this ,in such a large building, was not easy. Nothing displeased her so much as any neglect of the men on the part of the surgeons or assistants. On one occasion, visiting on of the wards at nearly 11am, where the men were very badly wounded, she found that the assistant surgeon in charge, who had been out on a spree the night before and had slept very late, had not yet made out the special diet list for the ward. The men were faint and hungry from the lack of breakfast. She at once denounced him in the strongest terms.
" Matter enough you miserable scoundrel! Here these men, any one of them worth a thousand of you, are suffered to starve and die, because you want to be off upon a drunk! Pull off your shoulder straps for you shall not stay in the army a week longer!" The surgeon laughed, but he turned pale for he knew her power. She was as good as her word. Within three days, she had caused his discharge. He went to headquarters and asked to be reinstated. General Sherman listened patiently, and then inquired what caused his discharge? " I was discharged in consequence of misrepresentations." , he answered. " But who caused your discharge?" asked Sherman. "I suppose it was that woman, Mrs Bickerdyke, " replied the surgeon. " Oh", said Sherman. " Well, if it was her, I can do nothing for you. She ranks me."

Dr L. P.Bockett
Lights and Shadows of the Great Rebellion, 1866 ; pp. 295-296

Amazing person! She was born in Ohio, and, attended Oberlin College. She established over 300 field hospitals during the war. She eased the suffering of countless numbers of soldiers. She was known to risk her own life by rescuing wounded from the battlefield. Across the North, she gave speeches, telling the horrible suffering of the troops; and solicited contributions for hospital supplies.

Back