Most Unusual Civil War Monument?

The "Nearly-Headless" Sherman statue in a shopping center in Columbus, Ohio is worthy of mention.
(I have no idea why these photos keep landing on their sides)

IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG

The burial site of Jackson's arm at Ellwood has to be in the running for the most unusual monument. The monument itself is not strange, it is just a simple stone, but I cannot think of any other examples of a person's body part having its own marked grave site.

View attachment 302756
There's always the so-called "Boot" memorial dedicated to the memory of Benedict Arnold's shattered LEG (said to be "the only American part of him...") on the Saratoga Battlefield NHS in Upstate New York, though Arnold - and his still-attached leg - are buried elsewhere:

1555347710191.png

Yeah the Forrest monument on the side of the interstate in Nashville is pretty hideous. Also I think the face got vandalized pink.
Most of the statue itself is still pink, indeed, due to the owner deciding to keep it that way to avoid cleaning it over & over again, can't say I blame him.

I pass it every day for work, not a bad idea for a statue, but yeah, that face could have been done just a little better, in my opinion.

Outside Paris. It is quite interesting.

View attachment 302925
Rather than outside Paris, isn't it actually right IN Paris, in Cemeterie du Pere Lachaise? I seem to possibly vaguely remember seeing it, although it was French military personages I was really looking for: Napoleon's Marshals Ney, Massena, Grouchy, Jourdan, and others I can't now remember, along with other notables I stumbled across such as the painter J. L. David, famous Renaissance lovers Abelard and Heloise, expatriate writers Gertrude Stein and her lover Alice B. Toklas, and even Oscar Wilde!

Rather than outside Paris, isn't it actually right IN Paris, in Cemeterie du Pere Lachaise? I seem to possibly vaguely remember seeing it, although it was French military personages I was really looking for: Napoleon's Marshals Ney, Massena, Grouchy, Jourdan, and others I can't now remember, along with other notables I stumbled across such as the painter J. L. David, famous Renaissance lovers Abelard and Heloise, expatriate writers Gertrude Stein and her lover Alice B. Toklas, and even Oscar Wilde!

Its actually in Amiens.

"The Sphinx" by Martin Milmore always struck me as odd. In Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA. He was responsible for many more traditional and finely sculpted soldiers' monuments. It seems it was more the vision of man who commissioned it than the sculptor's. Not sure it works.
https://mountauburn.org/sphinx/

It's probably just a hiccup with my browser, but in case anyone else is finding that the photo of The Sphinx isn't displaying, this link to another photo may work.

There's always the so-called "Boot" memorial dedicated to the memory of Benedict Arnold's shattered LEG (said to be "the only American part of him...") on the Saratoga Battlefield NHS in Upstate New York, though Arnold - and his still-attached leg - are buried elsewhere:

View attachment 302809
This monument brought me to tears the first time I saw it. Arnold is the great tragic story of the Revolution..

Back