Most Unusual Civil War Monument?

General Casey

First Sergeant
Mine is called The Rockery, in Easton, Massachusetts. It was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted
The_Rockery_(North_Easton,_MA).JPG

To me it is the Louisiana State Memorial at Gettysburg . I've heard it is supposed to represent St. Barbara and that it is by a renowned sculptor , but to me it is just plain disturbing . Huge feet , odd proportions , it is definitely unusual.

View attachment 302128
I love this monument. I think it's stunning. Though I get what you are saying about disproportionate elements. Sometimes these things can make an image even more captivating.

It's a bit like big eyes in Anime!

To me it is the Louisiana State Memorial at Gettysburg . I've heard it is supposed to represent St. Barbara and that it is by a renowned sculptor , but to me it is just plain disturbing . Huge feet , odd proportions , it is definitely unusual.

View attachment 302128
According to Stone Sentinels:
The monument is entitled “Spirit Triumphant,” and was created by Donald DeLue, who was also the sculptor of the State of Mississippi monument. It represents a wounded gunner of New Orleans Washington Artillery clutching to his heart a Confederate battle flag while above him the Spirit of the Confederacy sounds a trumpet and raises a flaming cannonball.
http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/confederate-monuments/confederate-state-monuments/louisiana/

According to Stone Sentinels:
The monument is entitled “Spirit Triumphant,” and was created by Donald DeLue, who was also the sculptor of the State of Mississippi monument. It represents a wounded gunner of New Orleans Washington Artillery clutching to his heart a Confederate battle flag while above him the Spirit of the Confederacy sounds a trumpet and raises a flaming cannonball.
http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/confederate-monuments/confederate-state-monuments/louisiana/
The State of Mississippi is my other most favourite monument :smile:

Back