Most Unusual Civil War Monument?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
The burial site of Jackson's arm at Ellwood has to be in the running for the most unusual monument. The monument itself is not strange, it is just a simple stone, but I cannot think of any other examples of a person's body part having its own marked grave site.

View attachment 302756
There's always the so-called "Boot" memorial dedicated to the memory of Benedict Arnold's shattered LEG (said to be "the only American part of him...") on the Saratoga Battlefield NHS in Upstate New York, though Arnold - and his still-attached leg - are buried elsewhere:

1555347710191.png

Yeah the Forrest monument on the side of the interstate in Nashville is pretty hideous. Also I think the face got vandalized pink.
Most of the statue itself is still pink, indeed, due to the owner deciding to keep it that way to avoid cleaning it over & over again, can't say I blame him.

I pass it every day for work, not a bad idea for a statue, but yeah, that face could have been done just a little better, in my opinion.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Outside Paris. It is quite interesting.

View attachment 302925
Rather than outside Paris, isn't it actually right IN Paris, in Cemeterie du Pere Lachaise? I seem to possibly vaguely remember seeing it, although it was French military personages I was really looking for: Napoleon's Marshals Ney, Massena, Grouchy, Jourdan, and others I can't now remember, along with other notables I stumbled across such as the painter J. L. David, famous Renaissance lovers Abelard and Heloise, expatriate writers Gertrude Stein and her lover Alice B. Toklas, and even Oscar Wilde!

General Casey

Sergeant
Rather than outside Paris, isn't it actually right IN Paris, in Cemeterie du Pere Lachaise? I seem to possibly vaguely remember seeing it, although it was French military personages I was really looking for: Napoleon's Marshals Ney, Massena, Grouchy, Jourdan, and others I can't now remember, along with other notables I stumbled across such as the painter J. L. David, famous Renaissance lovers Abelard and Heloise, expatriate writers Gertrude Stein and her lover Alice B. Toklas, and even Oscar Wilde!
Its actually in Amiens.