Uniforms Most outlandish Confederate officer uniform?

Speaking of Custer... these are post-Civil War, but way too snappy to pass up!
View attachment 335233
Whether he's dressed as a Quaker...View attachment 335234
... as a Sioux Chief...
View attachment 335235
... or just donning some good old-fashioned buckskins...
View attachment 335236
... Geo. A. Custer always knew how to cut a dashing figure!
These are the largest version of the photos I've seen!
The first one George is with his sister Margaret Custer Calhoun. (She lost her husband James, her brothers George, Tom and Boston and her nephew Harry Armstrong Reid on June 25, 1876.)
The second photo he is with a Miss Agnes Bates. Both photos taken in 1875 at Fort Abraham Lincoln.
The third photo was taken in 1868 at Fort Sill.
The fourth photo was taken in 1873.
Info from "Custer in Photographs," D. Marl Katz, 1985.

View attachment 332135

Also A.P. Hill and that bright red shirt and cape he wore...

I'll see your overgrown tomcat and raise you a wife's holiday tablecloth.

96f3da16373ccee7440d0c27ac7596c7.jpg

PS - if 1) I was still re-enacting and 2) inclined to do a Rebel officer impression, I would totally rock that outfit

Last edited:
These are the largest version of the photos I've seen!
The first one George is with his sister Margaret Custer Calhoun. (She lost her husband James, her brothers George, Tom and Boston and her nephew Harry Armstrong Reid on June 25, 1876.)
The second photo he is with a Miss Agnes Bates. Both photos taken in 1875 at Fort Abraham Lincoln.
The third photo was taken in 1868 at Fort Sill.
The fourth photo was taken in 1873.
Info from "Custer in Photographs," D. Marl Katz, 1985.
That's the book I have-- and it's a fantastic one! I took pictures of the photographs inside of it. Thank you for the information!!

I'll see your overgrown tomcat and raise you a wife's holiday tablecloth.

View attachment 335333

PS - if 1) I was still re-enacting and 2) inclined to do a Rebel officer impression, I would totally rock that outfit
Man that shirt is so LOUD I bet it has ballistic resistant qualities, way ahead of its time. If an opponent tries to get a bead on him they wont be able to aim accurately, kinda like looking into the sun. That does look like a bad fathers day gift shirt all it needs is some macaroni and glitter.

Last edited:
Man that shirt is so LOUD I bet it has ballistic resistant qualities, way ahead of its time. If an opponent tries to get a bead on him they wont be able to aim accurately, kinda like looking into the sun. That does look like a bad fathers day gift shirt all it needs is some macaroni and glitter.

Folks wouldn't have any doubt who their company commander was and where he was when things got loud and stupid, would they?

General John Bankhead "Prince John" Magruder was no slouch when it came to uniforms. The hat he is holding in his right hand was probably not off the rack either.
View attachment 332214

I was waiting for this fellow to also make an appearance.

Yep, he had some fine uniforms.

Although, no one would have given him a second look in any European city, Magruder did kind of "stand out " even within the top circles of Southern society.

:bounce:

If an opponent tries to get a bead on him they wont be able to aim accurately, kinda like looking into the sun.
Yes, that shirt is the personal equivalent of disruptive camouflage on warships. The enemy wouldn’t know whether he was near or far or coming or going. Very effective, no doubt.

But, as @Story noted, he probably didn’t see a lot of similar shirts during his service. That thing is.....unique.

Back