Chamberlain Most injured Civil War General

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Joshua Chamberlain was wounded 6 times in battle and John Hood at least 3 times. Which other Civil War Generals suffered multiple battle wounds? Does Chamberlain hold the record at 6 times?

http://www.historynet.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2008/americascivilwar/john-gordon-wounds.jpg

john-gordon-wounds.jpg

Brig. Gen. Francis M. Cockrell of the 1st Missouri Brigade was wounded 7 times throughout the war. He was slightly wounded at Corinth, hit by a shell fragment at Vicksburg, wounded in both hands by a shell fragment at Kennesaw Mountain, and at Franklin he was shot twice in the right arm, the left leg, and in the right ankle. He had his horse shot out from under him at Corinth, and also had two horses shot out from under him in the charge at Franklin. He was also blown into the air in the mine explosion at Vicksburg.

Darn it....... I saw the question and NedBaldwin beat me to it.
Most of his wounds happened on the same day at Sharpsburg. His men pleaded with him to seek medical attention. he refused and stayed with his men on the line at the Sunken Road. It wasn't until he was SHOT IN THE FACE that he was removed from the field. Even then, if it wasn't for a hole in his hat he would have drowned in his own blood.
His wife was there to nurse him back to health.
Do a google search for a pic of Gordon you will see a slight depression to his left cheek.

When Gordon was wounded five times at Sharpsburg he was colonel of the 6th Alabama, holding the center of the Sunken Road/Bloody Lane.

Walking through the Sunken Road where the 6th AL was positioned, one can see how Gordon was wounded so many times. It kind of sinks down into a depression at the center of the road and the ground to their front slopes up hill. It was more of a death trap than a defensive position; his regiment was shredded there.

Joshua Chamberlain was wounded 6 times in battle and John Hood at least 3 times. Which other Civil War Generals suffered multiple battle wounds? Does Chamberlain hold the record at 6 times?

We actually had a thread on this way, way back. I think Forrest "won"....although I could be wrong.....and I'm not sure if we counted the Gould wound or not. :smile:

Maj. Gen. William H. T. Walker from Augusta, GA was wounded so many times he was called "Ole Shot Pouch" before the Civil War even started. After graduating from West Point he served in the 6th US Infantry and was wounded in the neck, shoulder, chest, left arm, and leg fighting the Seminoles at Lake Okeechobee, FL. He served in the Mexican War as captain and was wounded at the Battle of Churubusco and again at the Battle of Molino del Rey in the back. In the ACW, as a division commander in Hardee's Corps, he was killed at the Battle of Atlanta.

Last edited:
For the sake of argument, what if we counted "wounds" in the Civil War the same way a wound today would be defined as warranting a Purple Heart??....If we did this, it would remove dysentery and dirt as being a "wound".....Now, how would this affect being wounded multiple times in the same engagement?....I confess, I do not know exactly what the criteria for the Purple Heart is.....If I got shot in the right arm and shot again in the left leg, does that count as two wounds, and thus two purple hearts?
Thanks for your patience and indulgence!

Tom Ransom
  • shot in the shoulder, battle of Charleston Missouri, August 19, 1861
  • shot in the shoulder, battle at Fort Donelson Tennessee, February 15, 1862
  • shot in the head, battle of Shiloh Tennessee, April 6, 1862
  • shot in the knee, battle of Mansfield Louisiana, April 8, 1864
  • killed by dysentery/typhoid fever, Rome Georgia October 29, 1864

Maj. Gen. William H. T. Walker from Augusta, GA was wounded so many times he was called "Ole Shot Pouch" before the Civil War even started. After graduating from West Point he served in the 6th US Infantry and was wounded in the neck, shoulder, chest, left arm, and leg at Lake Okeechobee, FL. He served in the Mexican War as captain and was wounded at the Battle of Churubusco and again at the Battle of Molino del Rey in the back. In the ACW, as a division commander in Hardee's Corps, he was killed at the Battle of Atlanta.

General Walker,
HD_walkerWHT.jpg

Back