Chamberlain Most injured Civil War General

Joshua Chamberlain was wounded 6 times in battle and John Hood at least 3 times. Which other Civil War Generals suffered multiple battle wounds? Does Chamberlain hold the record at 6 times?
I think so, IMO--yes. 6 without "dirt in his eyes", or "the runs"...Chamberlain.

Think Brig. Gen. William Hugh Young deserves a mention here. Formerly colonel of the 9th Texas Infantry, he was promoted to brigadier general in summer of 1864, assuming command of Ector's Texas Brigade. He was wounded a total of five or six times throughout the war: shot through the right shoulder at Stones River, also having two horses shot out from under him; wounded in the thigh at Jackson, MS; shot through the left chest at Chickamauga; wounded in the neck and jaw at Kennesaw Mountain; and was shot through the left ankle and had his horse shot out from under him at Allatoona Pass, later having his left foot amputated.

He wasn't wounded quite as many times as General Stephen J. McGroarty (I can't imagine anyone having more and surviving!), but John W. Geary deserves a mention, if his wikipedia article is accurate. It claims he received 10 wounds during his military career, spread between the Mexican-American War and the Civil War.

Geary was active in the state militia as a teenager. In December 1846, during the Mexican-American War, he was commissioned in the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, serving as lieutenant colonel. He led the regiment heroically at Chapultepec, and was wounded five times in the process. Geary was an excellent target for enemy fire: a huge man for that era, he stood six feet six inches tall, 260 pounds (118 kg) and solidly built. Altogether, he was wounded at least ten times in his military career.

John W. Geary

I've since learned that Brig. Gen. William R. Cox was up there as well. He was major and later colonel of the 2nd North Carolina Infantry, until promoted to brigadier general in May of 1864, assuming command of Ramseur's NC Brigade. A few sources claim that he was wounded 11 times throughout the war, however according to Medical Histories of Confederate Generals by Jack D. Welsh, Cox was wounded about 7 or 8 times. In a charge on May 3 at Chancellorsville he received 5 or 6 wounds but was said to have remained on the field with his men. And in a skirmish during the Mine Run Campaign he was wounded in the right shoulder and face.

Also Brig. Gen. Thomas F. Toon, wounded 7 times. Served in and later commanded the 20th North Carolina Infantry until promoted to brigadier in May 1864. He was wounded at Seven Pines, a shot passing through another man and slightly wounding Toon. He was wounded again at Gaines' Mill, was wounded three times at Chancellorsville, shot in the leg at Spotsylvania, and received his final wound at Fort Stedman at Petersburg while standing atop the works and rallying his men.

While he doesn't win for most number of wounds, Brig. Gen. Francis T. Nicholls lost his left arm during Jackson's Valley Campaign, his left foot at Chancellorsville, and an eye at Richmond.

After the war he was elected governor of Louisiana. The man who nominated him said, "We nominate what's left of General Nicholls. "

Thanks for the replies everyone. I find this subject interesting as my only injury in a war was to my pride. OK so I cut my finger using a bayonet to open MREs and the Captain would not let me use any more sharp objects.
Ha Ha! I took some shell fragments on an aircraft carrier in Desert Storm... Somebody threw an egg at me. Hit the wall next to me and I got "shell fragments" in my eye! ;-)

Joshua Chamberlain was wounded 6 times in battle and John Hood at least 3 times. Which other Civil War Generals suffered multiple battle wounds? Does Chamberlain hold the record at 6 times?

5396280110_d41abb7287_o.jpg

5396279852_9934452037_b.jpg

Reactions: WJC
Confederate MG William Dorsey Pender was wounded at Glendale, 2nd Manassas, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville before being fatally wounded at Gettysburg.

General Thomas Sweeny was wounded more than a few during his career, one in the Mexican War, he lost an arm, later in the 1850's he took an arrow in the neck. During the war he took a bullet in his leg at Wilson's Creek. At Shiloh he reportedly was wounded three times, before he received a fourth in his good arm. He was taken from the field due to loss of blood. For a total of five in the war. He also got into a fist fight with Dodge hitting him several times. Dodge had him arrested, and he was acquitted at his court martial. Sweeny he had quite an active career, besides being wounded a lot.

Back