Most and least effective generals at Gettysburg

Where do you get the idea that he kept Ewell informed? You have taken the parts of Lee's orders to Stuart that suit your argument and ignored the bits that don't. Lets assume for a moment that Stuart kept Lee informed(or anyone for that matter) he would have been recalled at the utmost haste, Lee would have recoiled in horrer at how close to Washington his main body of cavalry was. Without hinderance is beautifully clear as is feel the right of Ewells corps.

Leaving Robertson in charge of anything was a bad decision. Moving faster in the wrong direction is completely remiss regardless of how much grain he had. Again without hinderance is ignored.

Yes I meant to say Division but once again you put your words into my mouth. I said Stuart lost on July 3rd which you immediately blame Lee for, he as head of the ANV must take responsiblity(which he did). You base my opinion on an aspect of Pickett's charge as hero worship for Lee whereas nothing could be further from the truth. I respect the mans integrity but he made mistakes same as everyone else.

Where do you get the idea that he kept Ewell informed? You have taken the parts of Lee's orders to Stuart that suit your argument and ignored the bits that don't. Lets assume for a moment that Stuart kept Lee informed(or anyone for that matter) he would have been recalled at the utmost haste, Lee would have recoiled in horrer at how close to Washington his main body of cavalry was. Without hinderance is beautifully clear as is feel the right of Ewells corps.
Stuart sent courtiers to inform Lee. That they did not reach Lee is not his fault.

And whoa there, friend. Irony is sometimes funny, but ignoring that Stuart is ordered both to join up with Ewell and to raid and do damage to the Union army isn't funny.

Focusing solely on the "feel Ewell's flank" instruction is the very definition of "ignoring the bits that don't", I'm afraid.

Leaving Robertson in charge of anything was a bad decision. Moving faster in the wrong direction is completely remiss regardless of how much grain he had. Again without hinderance is ignored.
Robertson unfortunately is senior to Jones, so the ideal solution (put the man who knows what he's doing in charge) is out. So that leaves either leaving Hampton behind or taking Robertson's brigade somewhere else.

Where would you put his brigade? Its too small (smaller than Rooney Lee's brigade even considering that Rooney's brigade is only operating with four of its assigned five regiments) and green (well trained, perhaps, but not much battle experience) to be useful independently.

Leaving Hampton behind, as a de facto division commander, leaves his brigade under its senior colonel could work, but it leaves his brigade weaker.

In either case, responsibility for accepting Robertson being in command also rests on Lee and Longstreet. They didn't object, so if blame is to be given, its not solely to Stuart for thinking Robertson could handle some simple instructions.

As for the wrong direction: What is wrong about it, considering the full text of Lee's orders to Stuart?

I nominate Reynolds for most effective, if he hadn't seen the importance of the area and brought the Corps under his command to the area, and stalled the Confederate advance, it would have been over before it really started..While at the same time passing useful information and coordinating things with Meade, he truly was the right Union commander to be there at the beginning.

I nominate Reynolds for most effective, if he hadn't seen the importance of the area and brought the Corps under his command to the area, and stalled the Confederate advance, it would have been over before it really started..While at the same time passing useful information and coordinating things with Meade, he truly was the right Union commander to be there at the beginning.

Seconded.

Shame he died so early on the battle, but what he did before dying was well done.

Where do you get the idea that he kept Ewell informed?
Kept Lee informed, via couriers. They did not reach Lee, but copies reached the war office in Richmond.
You have taken the parts of Lee's orders to Stuart that suit your argument and ignored the bits that don't.
No, I haven't. You have. I consider all parts of Lee's orders, you consider only one.
Lets assume for a moment that Stuart kept Lee informed(or anyone for that matter)
No need to assume, the documentation is there. See A Rebel War Clerk's Diary by John R. Jones.
he would have been recalled at the utmost haste,
Why?
Lee would have recoiled in horrer at how close to Washington his main body of cavalry was.
Why?
Without hinderance is beautifully clear as is feel the right of Ewells corps.
If it's so beautifully clear, you should be able to tell me what hindrance he ran into that would be enough to make retracing his steps worthwhile. Recall, now, that if he is to retrace his steps, he must pass through Longstreet's corps, through Hill's corps, and through Ewell's corps. Let me know your projected time frame for this.
Leaving Robertson in charge of anything was a bad decision.
Take it up with Jefferson Davis. Stuart did not want Robertson and neither did Lee.
Moving faster in the wrong direction is completely remiss regardless of how much grain he had.
What is your alternate route?
Yes I meant to say Division but once again you put your words into my mouth.
Brigade was your word, not mine.
I said Stuart lost on July 3rd which you immediately blame Lee for,
Fail. You said Stuart's effort was lackluster on July 3 because he lost. Given this reasoning, you must also conclude that Lee's effort on July 3 was also lackluster, since he also lost. Given that Lee lost the entire war, you must further conclude that his whole effort from 1861-1865 was lackluster. If you think a loss per se means lackluster effort, then these are the logical conclusions we must draw.

KHale: I've no interest in discussing with someone who is not prepared to discuss things rationally and constantly mis-quotes what I say so I'll leave it up to the readers, you seem to suffer from an affliction requiring you to have the last say in everything so you can respond to this and think you're right. I'm here to discuss sensibly not to argue, your posts are constantly argumentative and don't even consider to discuss rationally. Your quote about putting words in my mouth is a perfect example of you editing what I said to suit your argument and/or completely missing my point so I will move one. Feel free to respond to satisfy your ego.

KHale: I've no interest in discussing with someone who is not prepared to discuss things rationally and constantly mis-quotes what I say so I'll leave it up to the readers, you seem to suffer from an affliction requiring you to have the last say in everything so you can respond to this and think you're right. I'm here to discuss sensibly not to argue, your posts are constantly argumentative and don't even consider to discuss rationally. Your quote about putting words in my mouth is a perfect example of you editing what I said to suit your argument and/or completely missing my point so I will move one. Feel free to respond to satisfy your ego.

IB. If you're here to discuss sensibly, I have two questions for you.

1) Why do you neglect the aspect of Stuart's orders regarding raiding and doing damage to the Union as well as the aspect you keep noting about feeling Ewell's flank?

2) What alternate route would you suggest from the information Stuart had to work from to fulfill both aspects better than the route he did take?

Back