What Was The Most Absurd Civil War Claim?

rbortega

Corporal
What are some of the most absurd claims you have heard or read about the Civil War? This includes the war in general or a particular person or event associated with the conflict. It doesn't matter if you heard someone say it person or read it in a book or on the internet in some form (example: message board and comment section). A couple I have come across over the years include Abraham Lincoln supposedly secretly selling weapons to the Confederacy and Robert E. Lee being an Abolitionist.

There is a myth that revolves around the meeting between Generals Sherman and Johnston to undertake surrender terms for the AoT in North Carolina in April 1865. Johnston had requested that War Secretary Breckenridge, in his capacity as a major general, be present at the parley. Upon arrival, Breckenridge pulled from his saddlebag a flask of brandy and offered drinks all around. But after the first round, Breckenridge took additional swigs from the bottle without offering a taste to Sherman, who afterwards castigated Breckenridge as a "hog." Needless to say, this story was never verified or acknowledged by the participants, even though it makes a good historical tale to tell.

Vote Here:
There is a myth that revolves around the meeting between Generals Sherman and Johnston to undertake surrender terms for the AoT in North Carolina in April 1865. Johnston had requested that War Secretary Breckenridge, in his capacity as a major general, be present at the parley. Upon arrival, Breckenridge pulled from his saddlebag a flask of brandy and offered drinks all around. But after the first round, Breckenridge took additional swigs from the bottle without offering a taste to Sherman, who afterwards castigated Breckenridge as a "hog." Needless to say, this story was never verified or acknowledged by the participants, even though it makes a good historical tale to tell.
Like it is said, never let the truth get in the way of a good story😜😊

Vote Here:
I tried to Google and find a newspaper opinion piece I read within the past year to share with you all but couldn't find it.

The author attributed terrible Civil War battle casualties to the use of machine guns.

That's pretty chuckle-worthy.
Chuckle worthy?? My friend that is a priceless gem!!! Everytime I think of it, it generates a mental picture that is absolutely hilarious. 😆😆😆😆😆😆

Vote Here:
In many areas of the South, the latter seem to have been forced to move away, and the former were tolerated only if they concealed their veteran status and ceased to be 'uppity,' behaving in a manner that was sufficiently 'humble' and obedient.
Not the case in East Tennessee with "Parson" Brownlow in charge, who by the way was, along with Andy Johnson, as much racist as any Confederate

Union Flag Article.jpg

East Confederates warned.jpg

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Not the case in East Tennessee with Brownlow in charge.

View attachment 397908

View attachment 397917
"Take warning from the remedy already resorted to in the case of others, and remove at once. Do not force us to the painful necessity of resorting to extreme measures, as we have vowed to do on sight, and pledged our mutual support to one another in the fulfilment of this notice."

I think we've been getting a one sided version of history...

Vote Here:
Vote Here:
I think we've been getting a one sided version of history.
Isaac Rucker escaped slavery in North Georgia. He made it to Knoxville, Tennessee, where on 5/1/1864, he enlisted and mustered as a Corporal into "G" Co. US CT 1st Heavy Artillery. He mustered out March 31,1866 in Chattanooga. Surprisingly, Isaac returned to his Georgia home after the war to live out his days among white neighbors that no doubt, supported the Confederacy. Reportedly, Isaac was apparently very highly thought of and respected. One account says a Confederate Veteran assisted the illiterate Isaac with the paper work for his pension. Isaac is buried in New Hope Cemetery in Dahlonega, GA with only one other Union Veteran and among 60 Confederates. He died August 30,1915 at the same place where he escaped slavery and joined in east Tennessee in his fight for freedom.

isaac rucker.jpg

Last edited:
Vote Here:
In 2011 Glenn Beck aired a special about the evils of Nathan Bedford Forrest, and "allegedly" had his sabre that "skinned people alive". A symbol of American Evil.

At that time I was reading through Jack Hurst's biography of Forrest, and I was at my dying grandmother's house watching this, wanted to smash to stupid TV from rage alone.

At the time, Forrest's sabre was in the hands of a roundtable in Texas. Whatever Beck had on him wasn't it. That....that should have been a warning to the things that would come after 2015.

Vote Here:
I tried to Google and find a newspaper opinion piece I read within the past year to share with you all but couldn't find it.

The author attributed terrible Civil War battle casualties to the use of machine guns.

That's pretty chuckle-worthy.
Butler bought a lot of "machine guns" out of his own pocket.

Vote Here:
Serious question, is there any accurate number of Union soldiers against slavery and slave holding?
@TSJ ,

I really don't know, but I have read letters from Union soldiers who were indifferent to slavery and then became extremely anti-slavery as they marched further into the South seeing for themselves the institution, during the war.

My sources for such a view come from the following sources:

What They Fought For: 1861-1865, by James M. McPherson.

For Cause & Comrades: Why Men Fought In The Civil War, by James M. McPherson.

This Mighty Scourge: Perspectives on the Civil War, by (you guessed it!) James M. McPherson.

What This Cruel War Was Over: Soldiers, Slavery, And The Civil War, by Chandra Manning.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Last edited:
Vote Here:
The story I have seen is that Sherman had the whiskey and did not share it.
http://www.civilwarpodcast.com/2012/04/general-sherman-is-a-hog/

Vote Here:
In 2011 Glenn Beck aired a special about the evils of Nathan Bedford Forrest, and "allegedly" had his sabre that "skinned people alive". A symbol of American Evil.

At that time I was reading through Jack Hurst's biography of Forrest, and I was at my dying grandmother's house watching this, wanted to smash to stupid TV from rage alone.

At the time, Forrest's sabre was in the hands of a roundtable in Texas. Whatever Beck had on him wasn't it. That....that should have been a warning to the things that would come after 2015.
I remember that very well.

Although never a Glen Beck fan, (always thought he was a goober, but an entertaining goober) . . .
I would watch his show every now and then.

But good Lord, saying Civil War troops were flayed?

That's the most absurd thing I've heard .

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Back