Discussion Most Absurd Civil War Claims

jackt62

Captain
There is a myth that revolves around the meeting between Generals Sherman and Johnston to undertake surrender terms for the AoT in North Carolina in April 1865. Johnston had requested that War Secretary Breckenridge, in his capacity as a major general, be present at the parley. Upon arrival, Breckenridge pulled from his saddlebag a flask of brandy and offered drinks all around. But after the first round, Breckenridge took additional swigs from the bottle without offering a taste to Sherman, who afterwards castigated Breckenridge as a "hog." Needless to say, this story was never verified or acknowledged by the participants, even though it makes a good historical tale to tell.

Harman Farm

Private
There is a myth that revolves around the meeting between Generals Sherman and Johnston to undertake surrender terms for the AoT in North Carolina in April 1865. Johnston had requested that War Secretary Breckenridge, in his capacity as a major general, be present at the parley. Upon arrival, Breckenridge pulled from his saddlebag a flask of brandy and offered drinks all around. But after the first round, Breckenridge took additional swigs from the bottle without offering a taste to Sherman, who afterwards castigated Breckenridge as a "hog." Needless to say, this story was never verified or acknowledged by the participants, even though it makes a good historical tale to tell.
Like it is said, never let the truth get in the way of a good story😜😊

Harman Farm

Private
I tried to Google and find a newspaper opinion piece I read within the past year to share with you all but couldn't find it.

The author attributed terrible Civil War battle casualties to the use of machine guns.

That's pretty chuckle-worthy.
Chuckle worthy?? My friend that is a priceless gem!!! Everytime I think of it, it generates a mental picture that is absolutely hilarious. 😆😆😆😆😆😆

Johnny_Reb_1865

Private
I had someone swear to me that black teamsters in the Confedetate army didn't drive the wagons BUT RATHER literally drag them down the road using ropes while being whipped by white officer's sitting in the driver's seat.

I can't even...