Mosby's Rangers

Wow, studying the TM I'm not used to seeing such well-dressed "partisan rangers" at least not in Confederate rather than Federal uniform. Over half of them are doing their best to preen for the camera and look as studly as possible!

Wow, studying the TM I'm not used to seeing such well-dressed "partisan rangers" at least not in Confederate rather than Federal uniform. Over half of them are doing their best to preen for the camera and look as studly as possible!
I thought that as well Red. It would be great if we could see a picture of them in the feild. This picture puts me in mind of the Buch Cassidy picture that they took that put them in the view of all the guys hunting them.:smile:

I had read some where the Union cavalry formed a special Unit to track down Mosby and his Rangers...
They were hard after him when he captured Brig Gen Edwin Stoughton. Lincoln said he could make more Generals but would miss the horses they stole.

Reactions: Lee
The one thing that suprises me in this picture is the absence of weapons.

Good point. No wonder several are trying to put on such stern faces, they are unarmed!

It really is a great period photo. You know they looked back on this decades later and chuckled about their cocky youth.

Good point. No wonder several are trying to put on such stern faces, they are unarmed!

It really is a great period photo. You know they looked back on this decades later and chuckled about their cocky youth.
They didn't give much information about the photo but I suspect it may have been taken after the war.

In a similar vein of individuals of the Trans-Mississippi, check out some images of Col. Emmett MacDonald. (e.g. http://www.ozarkscivilwar.org/archives/1223 and http://civilwardailygazette.com/2013/01/06/the-rebel-marmaduke-raids-into-missouri/) Some Union soldier in personal correspondence referred to him as "he of the long hair" or some such when he bought the farm at the Battle of Hartville. MacDonald was there by accident, having missed the turn his regiment was to take while the rest of his regiment was elsewhere at the time.

In a similar vein of individuals of the Trans-Mississippi, check out some images of Col. Emmett MacDonald. (e.g. http://www.ozarkscivilwar.org/archives/1223 and http://civilwardailygazette.com/2013/01/06/the-rebel-marmaduke-raids-into-missouri/) Some Union soldier in personal correspondence referred to him as "he of the long hair" or some such when he bought the farm at the Battle of Hartville. MacDonald was there by accident, having missed the turn his regiment was to take while the rest of his regiment was elsewhere at the time.
Oh my. He looks a little like me in the late 60's.:smile coffee:

Oh my. He looks a little like me in the late 60's.:smile coffee:

You know...now that you mention it he's always looked somewhat out of his time period to me...

The Southern "long hair" style gets some mention at times, including a set of journals I've been studying by Union NCO Homer Harris Jewett. He mentioned growing his hair out "Southern style." For awhile near the end of the war he was recruiting for the USCT in Southern Arkansas, and later at the conclusion of the war was trying his hand at entrepreneurship in the cotton region below as a speculator. He disappeared without a trace, last heard from in Monroe, LA in March of 1866.

Mosby on Grant after the Civil War

"When I heard that President Cleveland had removed me as consul, in 1885, I wrote to General Grant and asked him to secure me employment from some-corporation, by which I could make a living. I did not then know how near he was to his end. My letter was forwarded to him at Mount McGregor, and on the day before I sailed from Hong Kong a dispatch announced his death. I felt that I had lost my best friend."

"I did not suppose that my letter would have any result, but on arriving in San Francisco, I learned that he had dictated a note to Governor Stanford, of the Southern Pacific, asking him, as a personal favor, to take care of me. I was made an attorney in the company and held that position for sixteen years."

"I sent the general a Malacca cane which I had had lacquered for him. It bore the inscription, "To General U. S. Grant from John S. Mosby, Hong Kong."

THE MEMOIRS OF
COLONEL JOHN S. MOSBY

EDITED BY
CHARLES WELLS RUSSELL

WITH ILLUSTRATIONS
BOSTON
LITTLE, BROWN, AND COMPANY

Grant on Mosby during the Civil War

CITY POINT, August 16, 1864-1.30 p.m [Received 6.30 a.m.17th.]

Major-General SHERIDAN,

Commanding, &c., Winchester, Va.:

Fitz Lee's division is not in the Valley. We took quite a number of prisoners from it yesterday north of the James. Kershaw's division has gone to the Valley, and probably two brigades of Wilcox's division. Some cavalry has gone, but I do not know whose. I would not advise an attack on Early in an intrenched position, but would watch him closely with the cavalry, and if he attempts to move north follow him. The 100-days' men will have to be discharged at the expiration of their time unless there is a pressing necessity for detaining them for a few days on account of immediate active hostilities. The families of most of Mosby's men are known, and can be collected. I think they should be taken and kept at Fort McHenry, or some secure place, as hostages for the good conduct of Mosby and his men. Where any of Mosby's men are caught hang them without trial.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

A second pose for the stereo camera...
ad09035v.jpg

The first uniforms Mosby's Rangers were issued were made of coarse cloth sewn in prison. They burned 'em.

Great conversation! I suspect that with the addition of accoutrements,they didnt look much differnt in the field.One thing really stands out for me,is there arnt two uniforms that look the same,hehe.It would be interesting to see a couple of them armed,though,just to see how many pistols they could wear at one time,and what variety they might have.They werent big on carbines and sabers.I likes that about Grant taking the time to write that letter for someone who was such a pain in the donkey to him during the war.Kudos to Grant!

Back